• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exterior Latex/Acrylic House Paints

Keith_J

Close-up shot of how the texture is after rolling on the second coat and letting it dry. Looks rougher than the CARC that was sprayed, but it's a good 10-footer.
Very nice. I'm restoring my MEP-002A generator and didn't want to spray because of all the masking of wires, hoses and gauges. I can do it with a 4" wide roller in under an hour.

How is the fuel resistance of these paints?

vinny-socom1

Ok I was reading thru this thread and must say there is a lot of good info here.

Maybe I missed it but does anybody have the HD/Lowes color formula for the #34079 color? I have M116A3 trailer and it clearly looks like a darker color than the "383". I only have some rapco 383 to compare it too but it is clearly darker.

It is a USMC trailer so I don't that matters? and my other trucks are ARMY and they match up to the rapco 383 stuff.

anybody got an answer for me??

Vinny

SPCWarning

Butterbean Green CUCV

Got 'er dun today, two coats everywhere outside except front bumper and grille/grille guard. Decided I WILL paint it again, maybe next time I'm home from work, and darker! Just wanna see how this is going to hold up.

Keith_J--Not sure about the fuel resistance, I'm pretty sure it will soak right in and leave a stain. The texture is pretty coarse since I rolled it. I'll just try not to spill any fuel on it. Had it been sprayed I'm sure it would have a much better resistance to staining.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

You just sprayed that paint, give it 1 month to cure and you will see what I mean about it being resistant to anything you can throw at it. The only thing that would harm mine was Stripx paint stripper. Oil stains seemed to wash right off with dawn, hot water and a scrub brush. I had a puddle of ATF sit on a spot of 6 month old BEHR for 2 weeks. Washed right off. THE ATF, not the paint. The paint was completely unharmed and unstained. This is amazing stuff.

Last edited:
Ok I was reading thru this thread and must say there is a lot of good info here.

Maybe I missed it but does anybody have the HD/Lowes color formula for the #34079 color? I have M116A3 trailer and it clearly looks like a darker color than the "383". I only have some rapco 383 to compare it too but it is clearly darker.

It is a USMC trailer so I don't that matters? and my other trucks are ARMY and they match up to the rapco 383 stuff.

anybody got an answer for me??

Vinny
See post 36 for details and a photo. The paint was thinned with 10% water. Sprayed through an auto paint gun.
Here is the HD formula for the 8 oz. sample.

Attachments

SPCWarning

I can live with the color for a while, but it's just too solid! Any good suggestions on markings? I left the unit/truck number on the rear bumper and will re-stencil them on the front due to Mississippi mud and bugs wearing it off. I know about the TP 45 over the tires, but what else can I do to it to make it look not so plain? . My CUCV's at Ft. Lewis and Soto Cano Air Base had "SPC Warning" on my side of the windshield in black stick-on letters, but that ain't enough. Open to suggestions.......
Thanks!

SPCWarning

Why not paint the rest of the 3 color camo????
I thought about that, but it's too light to even resemble the green in the woodland camo right? Think it would look ok? ( I found the brown and black camo's today for $10.99 a gallon about 8 miles from here) Forgot the brand name but it was exterior latex. The green they have is Olive Drab.

rlwm211

I would apply the black and brown and go a little beyond the pattern and that way the appearance will be more subdued.

The other thing is that the green fades even with the CARC and lightens as it ages.

If it were me, I would apply the 2 other colors and then when you have time and warm weather apply a darker green to just the green areas. I painted my Deuce and I do not do the whole truck green and then add the other colors Mine was already 3 color camo so I simply painted the pattern.

RL.

SPCWarning

I would apply the black and brown and go a little beyond the pattern and that way the appearance will be more subdued.

The other thing is that the green fades even with the CARC and lightens as it ages.

If it were me, I would apply the 2 other colors and then when you have time and warm weather apply a darker green to just the green areas. I painted my Deuce and I do not do the whole truck green and then add the other colors Mine was already 3 color camo so I simply painted the pattern.

RL.
That sounds like a plan. The camo I found today was black, brown (looked real close to the CARC brown), and OD green. The Olive Drab looked a tad dark but it sure looks better than what's on my truck! I may just get a gallon of each and draw out the pattern then paint all 3. Thanks for the input! It'll be next time I come home (middle of Dec) but I'll definitely post pics of it when done! Again, thanks for the input!

topgun217

Just got done rolling the Home Depot carc substitute in the back of the M1009. I'm happy with it. I put (3) coats on and it looks real good. I also did a test spot using the brown carc substitute from page #1, I'm impressed, it is soo close to a perfect match for the money. Now I have to go back to the Depot and pray I dont get that idiot from Monday so I can get more of the green made up.

roady

A second coat took care of the black and is looking better now. I will try and get some pics when it is light out and not raining.