• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extreme RV from M36a2

daddy2

Thanks Coldwarrior for the prays. This set of pics is showing the type of panneling I went with. I ruffed it all in and then out it came again.
Pannleing ruffing in 002.jpgPannleing ruffing in 005.jpgPannleing ruffing in 004.jpgPannleing ruffing in 006.jpgPannleing ruffing in 008.jpgPannleing ruffing in 009.jpg

daddy2

The next two pics are showing the pipe I am going to weld in for the propane. The pipe is just a sleeve for the gas line to run through. Once the line is in and mounted I will seal the sleeve with weather tight foam spray. The second pic is the lip I welded on the inside of the air conditioner opening. Just a piece of 16 guage 1/2" high. The lip's purpose is to keep out any water that may collect on the bottom surface.

Air conditioner drip edge 001.jpgAir conditioner drip edge 002.jpg

daddy2

These show the bathroom vent I am putting in. I have a 3" duct fan that will fit on the inside of the sleeve. The outside is getting a exhaust pipe flapper. I will use a rod to push the flapper open and then a string to keep it closed when not in use.

bath room vent 001.jpgbath room vent 002.jpg

daddy2

These pics are are of my repanneling and shimming the window frames. When I put the panneling in there was a 1" spce between the inside edge of teh panneling and the 2*2 Square tubing I used as the window frame. I decided to use 3/4 * 1 1/4 composit trim and then a piece of 1/4 * 1 1/4 wood shimming. The composite has foam rubber between it and the steel window frame. It is the foam used when you put a pick-up truck cap on. Seems to wook good so far. I marked the panneling for around the window with my finishing lines. Now I have to take the panneling off again and do the final cuts. Next will be the final insulation and some inside clean-up

window shimming 002.jpgwindow shimming 003.jpgwindow shimming 004.jpgwindow shimming 006.jpgwindow shimming 007.jpgwindow shimming 009.jpgwindow shimming 010.jpgwindow shimming 016.jpgwindow shimming 017.jpgwindow shimming 019.jpg

daddy2

Thanks Hill, that is actualy the feel I was going for. Wait till it gets the little wood stove I plan on making. My little mobile cabin.

daddy2

Absolutly, I will have a co2 detector and a propane gas detector. The wood stove will have a fresh air return from a sealed opening on the roof of the camper. I know some of the newer wood stoves have them built in so the o2 in the surounding area isn't used up.

daddy2

A little bit more done this weekend. I spray foamed the areas around the windows (since I had to shim the frames out). I also filled some other areas I thought could use foam. After that I worked on the dinette table leg. I wanted to put a stop on the base. We are a bit clumsy around here so if one of us kicks the leg, I didn't want The tabletop to drop and spill everything on it. I'll use a Velcro strap riveted onto the hinge to keep the leg steady. When the table is folded up, the hinge will lye flat. I also cut out the polycarbonate sheet for the sky light / escape hatch. It is makrolon and suppose to be impact resistant. I seen a you tube video of a guy hitting a window made from it with a crow bar and it not breaking. It is 3/8" thick. The left over piece from the 2' * 4' sheet is going to be used for the air conditioner window cut out. When the window ac unit isn't in I will put the frame in with the plastic sheet instead of the aluminum panel. This will allow a bit more light in.

foaming frames 001.jpgfoaming frames 002.jpgfoaming frames 003.jpgdinnette table base and sky light 006.jpg

daddy2

I've been looking at some of the other camper/rv builds. I have been struggling with the steps idea. Thought of building stairs myself since I have been using the kids pool ladder. I almost fell off the darn thing the other day. I thought I might try looking at getting a set of the aluminum steps that the m109's had and the 820 had for getting in the back. Any ideas on who might have a set or two that may consider selling at a fair price?

SsgLattig

Cool build. I have family out in Easton actually! See if you can find images of the RG-33L MRAP rear steps. They're aluminum & swivel up & down, & the treads are like industrial building metal that's press formed with the holes in it. If I can look through my pics I'll see if I can post one from my last deployment to Afghanistan. I had RG-33L's. Nice MF tractor too! My uncle has one up in Bushkill!

SsgLattig

Like this one?
Exactly! That's my baby lol! It has pivot pins so it can sort of "fold up", but it's never folded up on this truck, it's purpose is to allow it to move out of the way if you go down a hill or over something & it hits the ground. Funny thing is if you see one flying over bumps it's just flapping away back there like a tail & it usually breaks because we're hard on equipment. Something similar with either an air or hydraulic actuator to rais & lower it. I think air would be easiest, & the rear door on this truck is air actuated too. Pretty cool set up.

daddy2

Thought I would mention the back hoe is gone. Sold it due to too many toys. I had no time to play with then because I was always working on things.

daddy2

Well today I stripped out everything that wasn't welded in. I sanded the decking and the side wall with the DA and 100 grit. Then I blew out the inside with the air hose. Finally I hosed it all down with the pressure washer. Top to bottom on the inside. Now it is nice and clean. I had been thinking about the floor insulation and decided when I get the time and $ I will just unbolt and jack up the bed and use the same spray foam I used on the inside. I will spray the underside of the bed instead. That way I have max head space inside. I am going to spray the bathroom floor with grey herculiner and under the dinette bench seats. The dinette framing will be flat black as well as the bunks and bunk attachment points. I am going with rustoleum hammered copper color paint on the rest of the floor. If I don't like it I can always put down the vinyl flooring. This week is supposed to be a bit on the damp side, so no painting in this week’s forecast. I am going to work on the steps instead. Couldn't find them for sale so I am going to make some out of the c-channel I pulled out of the radio shed. I have two of the old communication sheds used in Vietnam. They had c-channel running length wise on the ceiling about 11' long. Web is about 7.5" and the flanges are about 1.5" to 2". I will cut the steps out of the third piece. I'll try to post pics this week on the progress.

Last edited: