• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Facebook Seller

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why would a scammer invite a purchaser to show up at an address and pay cash?

Lots of people have phone numbers that don't relate to present location.
all part of the “window dressing”, buyers are more inclined to work with a seller that looks legitimate, but the minute you tell the seller you want
to meet and pickup in person? They are gone…and so is your money

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We should make this thread a sticky and every time someone finds a questionable seller or listing, post it here and let us have at them. Or maybe make a section titled "questionable sellers" or something. Would definitely aid in the "taking care of each other" department.
As an Admin/Mod on 7 Various hmmwv FB forums, let me tell you…the guy who falls into these traps is typically the guy who believes he is going to get a spanking deal and don’t want to wait to get verification that the seller is legitimate in fear he will miss out on his $2k x-doors.
ive had scammed members blame the admins who granted access for the “scammer” in the first place and threatned legal action.
Historically the scammed individuals only come out after they lose money and contact with the scammer…not before.

biscuitwhistler37

As an Admin/Mod on 7 Various hmmwv FB forums, let me tell you…the guy who falls into these traps is typically the guy who believes he is going to get a spanking deal and don’t want to wait to get verification that the seller is legitimate in fear he will miss out on his $2k x-doors.
ive had scammed members blame the admins who granted access for the “scammer” in the first place and threatned legal action.
Historically the scammed individuals only come out after they lose money and contact with the scammer…not before.
I believe that, just as much as I believe if someone had a place to ask beforehand, they might. In either case, it would create a place to compile a list of known scammers and contact those who's identities and/or phone numbers they have stolen, exactly how those in this thread did. Scammers keep scamming because they don't get caught, if we make zero effort to catch them, we are enabling them. Hence scammers keep scamming.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Watch OUT for this one... Scam site sells everything, Tooth brushes, TV's, toasters, and there's even a section / category "military surplus" In there you will find WHAT LOOK's just like the product's of well known dealers with pictures and company names or logo captured off their site... at Unbelievable prices. Buy it now and say GOOD by not BUY to your money. Site name "Shopping" and looks real with deals till one clicks BUY. IP address come up in the UK and China with phoney phone numbers out of Kansas.

What a world. UNBELIEVABLE is the word, CAMO

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that, just as much as I believe if someone had a place to ask beforehand, they might. In either case, it would create a place to compile a list of known scammers and contact those who's identities and/or phone numbers they have stolen, exactly how those in this thread did. Scammers keep scamming because they don't get caught, if we make zero effort to catch them, we are enabling them. Hence scammers keep scamming.
you fail to realize the scammer has hacked an account and uses pics off others pages, they are gone in many cases in hours…you have no idea the amount of time spent dealing with this issue.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get caught? By whom? No one is going to some 3rd world African nation to find these people, even our FBI can’t catch those responsible for
millions and millions of dollars stolen from little old ladies as well as men and woman on dating websites looking for their next ex-wife or Husband .
Here is a novel concept, either know the person you are buying from, or buy directly from a distributor or brick and mortar store, pick up the phone and call the store, look for the website…it’s not hard, I’ve managed to not get taken yet and I do about $500k a year on the web as a business.
scams have always been around….you must be vigilant and do your homework.

CapePrep

Get caught? By whom? No one is going to some 3rd world African nation to find these people, even our FBI can’t catch those responsible for
millions and millions of dollars stolen from little old ladies as well as men and woman on dating websites looking for their next ex-wife or Husband .
Here is a novel concept, either know the person you are buying from, or buy directly from a distributor or brick and mortar store, pick up the phone and call the store, look for the website…it’s not hard, I’ve managed to not get taken yet and I do about $500k a year on the web as a business.
scams have always been around….you must be vigilant and do your homework.
S, with him saying "caught", may be a misnomer. I am sure his intent was that at least the scammer gets "outed" and with that, hopefully saves someone from getting taken. And your advice about talking to a real person, doing a little research or vetting can save you "bigly"(as the big Orange one says). A good rule of thumb I have used often, if it is too good to be true, guess what?? I have never lost money online due to my extreme skeptical nature!

67Beast

There are a couple of easy things to do with these Facebook scammers, first click on their profile and look around. If they only have a couple pics and not much else, they are a scammer. Also you can check to see what posts they have made to the group, and if they are all for sale adds or replying to every thread that they have one for sale it's also a red flag. A legit member will have usually made useful contributions to the group. Look at things like their join dates, recent dates are also usually a red flag. Don't be afraid to ask for a proof of life photo either, ask them to take a pic of the item with your name and the date on a piece of paper. A legit seller will understand and send you a pic. I also moderate a couple groups for military vehicles on Facebook and have seen a huge up tick in scammers, and if I see a member replying all the time that they have the part someone is asking about for sale, I will go check out their profile and if it looks shady, I give them the boot. I'm sure that some legit people may have got pruned but if all they were there for was to sell something and not make useful contributions then we didn't need them anyway.

CapePrep

I've reported the page on FB about 3 times and it's still up. I commebted on each post exposing them and they just take it down

Now much more I can do.
Ken, probably not much we can do to get them kicked of FB, but I would think if we continue to poke the hornet nest as you and I did, that will annoy the heck out of them and make them think twice about hanging around. At least that makes me feel better!! I call this one a win, if not only for the moment. He knows we are on to him

biscuitwhistler37

You guys do realize most of these scammers are in the states using voice over to make them sound the way they sound right? Proxy's, RAS's, TTS and a general disregard for them is what keeps them successful. My point here was not to physically "catch" the scammer, but to raise awareness to the businesses they steal the identity of, and, like @kendelrio and the OP have been doing, keep the heat on them. I did not intend for this to turn into an argument, debate, or what have you, and meant no disrespect, all advice given here has been solid, and if it's alright with the OP, any time I find a "questionable seller" peddling MV parts, regardless of what site it's on, I'd like to post it here and actually do something about it, like they are doing now. If it's not ok, I won't. Simple as that.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys do realize most of these scammers are in the states using voice over to make them sound the way they sound right? Proxy's, RAS's, TTS and a general disregard for them is what keeps them successful. My point here was not to physically "catch" the scammer, but to raise awareness to the businesses they steal the identity of, and, like @kendelrio and the OP have been doing, keep the heat on them. I did not intend for this to turn into an argument, debate, or what have you, and meant no disrespect, all advice given here has been solid, and if it's alright with the OP, any time I find a "questionable seller" peddling MV parts, regardless of what site it's on, I'd like to post it here and actually do something about it, like they are doing now. If it's not ok, I won't. Simple as that.
If you find them, reach out to me and I'll do what I can to make their life hard.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I certainly hope no one gets there feelings hurt over anything said in these comments and exchanges….I certainly don’t.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I certainly hope no one gets there feelings hurt over anything said in these comments and exchanges….I certainly don’t.
Why would you feel insulted Steve or would anyone feel insulted by you? You’re top notch and stand behind everything you sell and you say honest things.

CapePrep

Biscuit-ABSOLUTELY! Go for it!!! I am all about community and doing what we can to out these #*%$&%&!! As the saying goes, "it takes a village"!

CapePrep

Waiting for the sun to come up here in Northeast and decided to check on our friend. Seems he has either blocked me or has taken the page down. Did some research on how to do a picture search. Put in the 2 pictures he sent me of the Rhino tire carrier and IBIS spot lights. Tire carrier came from Black Rhino page and the spot lights from some random auction site. Can anyone else access the scammer page? https://www.facebook.com/119279124480329
Military Spare Parts
Still shaking my head.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks