• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Failed recovery from drum, truck dead in rochester

whyme

skip to the end if you dont wanna read about the whole trip

i was pushed into recovering my m105 yesterday as GL would not allow an extension. recent mechanical and ongoing financial issues had forced me to push it back this far but i did my pre trip inspection and off i went.

top has been off the cab and the bed was removed some time ago to finance the trailer so fuel economy was great, better given 30 gallons of freshly filtered WMO. the weather was great as is evident by my lobster red arms and neck.

woke up a tad late and got on the road around 7:30 but stopped shortly in a truck stop to recheck things and get a few bulbs i needed. the trip was a bit slow going and i kept to ~48mph mainly because of a wheel hop i get over 50 and for better milage.

pushed on strait from buffalo up the 90 into syracuse and then up the 81 to watertown before stopping for food. i made good time and the trip was uneventful, scenery on the was was awsome.

coming out of Bk to the truck i noticed a small lake of oil beneith the truck. ive had a small seap from the rear main seal so i assume its gotten worse; the middle axle was soaked in oil, strangly enough my oil level hasnt dipped leading me to believe that my FDC might be forcing fuel into the oil but as of yet it doesnt seen to be thinning much so ill keep an eye on that. the coolant was looking a tad merky but not milkshake by any means and as the oil showed no signs of coolant and i was not loosing either i pushed forward and on to drum.

pickup was smooth and kevin was very helpful while i was there however he was very short and abrasive on the phone. i was leary of him forklifting to my truch rather than just letting me drive the 4o yards and get it with the truck but no damage done so i cant complain. the trailer body is a bit rough bit the tires and lights are brand new (tires still had the mold lines in them. the trailer is missing the emergancy (constant supply) glad hand and air line. there is no plumbing at all for it all the way to the break booster but it looks like it was modified to use only the service (actuated) glad hand.

return trip was good through syracuse except for the plug for the lights coming undone and dragging a bit. user error and only some cosmedic damage to the plug.

i noticed a oily film build up outside of rochester and assumed it was the tires or draft air throwing the oil back into the cab. oil pressure remained steady and i stopped at a rest station to check it out. got a gallon of collant because i thought i was low only to find i wasnt and it was just being parked on a hill that it looked as such.

30 min down the road and 2 hours from home i smelled diesel and had a sudden loss of power, the truck started chugging along missing badly and i did all i could to get to a safe place. in just 3 miles i dumped nearly 1/4 tank of fuel.

So as it truns out i suffered a small crack in the #5 injector line, i was able to limp off the thruway to a pepboys in henrietta before the line broke completely. unfortunatly neither pepboys nor any local diesel shop has what i need. i called a favor in to get a ride home to regroup. im worried about the truck but i doubt it will be stolen in the condition its in. for now im on a mission to find a replacement and get it home.

mikey

You've got Kublo's Surplus in Brackney, PA and Jatonka close to Ft. Drum. Both are about three hours from Rochester.

Sorry, but that is all I know in that area.

Mikey

whyme

How hot is the fuel when it comes through IP? What pressure?

If low enough pressure, I wonder if you could get away with cutting out the bad section and bridge it with flexible tubing and hose clamps....

not sure but i know its very high. there will be no patching this.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are talking about the hard lines right? Why not cut out the damaged area and use a piece of steel brake line with brass compression fittings to repair it enough to get it home?

Josh

I have a spare #5 line. I could over night it to ya, or 2 day it. Either way the line is yours if ya pay for the ride. (last time I over nighted a line to fresno CA, it was 75ish bucks.)

kennys@wi.rr.com

You are talking about the hard lines right? Why not cut out the damaged area and use a piece of steel brake line with brass compression fittings to repair it enough to get it home?
The internal bore of an injector line is very small compared to a steel brake line. I don't think a brake line will even handle the presure of the fuel in the injector line.

Atwater

LEE SHUKNECHT & SONS, INC. - Lee Shuknecht
4458 Ford Road, Elba

not sure what they would have but they have advertised as having army trucks + parts before. north of batavia on 98

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
That is how I repaired the line that goes from the IP to the injectors on the 400 Cummins in the new M915......you have to get the exact size brake line and compression fittings. I took it out on a shake down run yesterday and it did not leak at Wide Open Throttle.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The NHC motor has less than 400 psi in that fuel line.

The LDT injector line should have 2800-2850psi in it.

A 1/4" brass ferrule connector may get him home, but it would be a temp fix, at best(IMHO).

vtdeucedriver

Stainless swedges would work as aircraft hydraulic pressures are equal but you have better odds of getting a replacement line then finding someone who has the Hyd tool to install it

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The NHC motor has less than 400 psi in that fuel line.

The LDT injector line should have 2800-2850psi in it.

A 1/4" brass ferrule connector may get him home, but it would be a temp fix, at best(IMHO).
You can also get them in steel or stainless that go over 5000 psi too.McMaster-Carr

Regardless, any coupling like this, I'd consider a temp fix.2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks