• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Feh. Rockauto screwing up my order for an exhaust system.

MarcusOReallyus

Well, they haven't refused a complete return/refund yet, so I'll hold fire on their customer service, but they sure don't have the right exhaust system in their catalog.

I need to replace mine from the manifolds back. Rusted out, can't pass inspection. So I ordered what I thought was a complete system from Rockauto. It arrived minus the head pipes. Went back and looked more carefully. Oh, my bad. It's called a complete system, but the diagram does not show the head pipes. Okay, can't figure out which pipe to order from the online catalog, so I called them. They passed me through to Walker, the manufacturer. Transferred me! That was pretty good customer service.

Walker listened to what I have, and gave me the part numbers. Called Rock back, and ordered them.

Nothing fits. I don't just mean the system doesn't fit my truck, I mean some of the parts work together, some don't. Some work for my truck, some don't. It's a mess.

So RA wants to know exactly what I received, part number by part number, for what they say is my 135.5 inch wheelbase 1984 K30 which has 2.5" headpipes and 2.25" from there back.

Arrghh. aua

Well, I've sent them what they asked for, plus a bunch of pictures showing the mismatches, and one side of the original. I hope they will just accept a complete return, because I don't have time to piece it together, especially when they obviously have bad info in their database.

Meanwhile, does anybody know of an online supplier that sells a complete kit that actually fits?

And some help with the parts manual, please. Is the "part number" listed in the manual the GM part number?

Last edited:

MO MV man

A CUCV has a totally different exhaust system than a gas powered K30?
I put a Dynomax cat back on my dad's old '88 C10 and it fit perfect. Came with a piece of pipe to fit long wheelbase trucks, too.

I placed my first order with Rock about two months ago.
Online said right part, arrived at the house.......what is THAT supposed to fit. Sigh.
Time wasted, ate the shipping costs (heavy brake drums). Never again.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I have a flywheel and clutch kit on the floor for from RA, hope it fits. As far as your truck, the K30 with 135.5" wb is a cab chassis system. Shouldn't effect diameters but your truck should have the 131.5" WB.

roveroverme

Banned
I don't really understand the confusion.
Rockauto sell the exhaust WITH headers 85003/86003 or 85503 for $233.89
WALKER Part # 89024 System; Thrush; Dual; Engine VIN M; Thrush Turbo
4 WHEEL DRIVE; Used w/Header 85003/86003 or 85503

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't really understand the confusion.
Rockauto sell the exhaust WITH headers 85003/86003 or 85503 for $233.89
WALKER Part # 89024 System; Thrush; Dual; Engine VIN M; Thrush Turbo
4 WHEEL DRIVE; Used w/Header 85003/86003 or 85503
This nothing more then a copy and paste from RA. First thing that hits me is that it mentions headers. As far as I know Stan's is the only folks making 6.2 headers and they are much more costly than that exhaust system. Next if you click on the "More Info" link it list the engines and all are gassers. Here are a few Walker part numbers that might help with collecting parts.

...................Left ........................................Right
Fr pipe........ 47663 ....................................44354
Inter pipe .....45276................................... n/a
Muffler.. .......21910 ...................................21910
Taile pipe ......45823 ..................................45824

Edit, sorry for all the dots, the forum won't allow me to space stuff apart. Also noteworthy. My research came from the Walker Website. The Walker listing for the right front part number is the same as the parttarget cross reference Doghead posted. 2 ways to achieve the objective

Attachments

Last edited:

Skinny

Walker stuff is ok quality, nothing near OEM but a good starting point. Let this be a lesson that when it comes to exhaust you either buy OEM (big $$$ and not available for older stuff) or you buy typical aftermarket (parts store quality) and make it work. A welder is your friend. A welder being your welder or an exhaust shop. Very few times have I installed a parts store exhaust and went, "that went great!" Of course if the parts are not even for the correct application you are wasting your time.

I also do not think that exhaust listing includes headers but rather has down pipes that fit a header application.

roveroverme

Banned
This nothing more then a copy and paste from RA. First thing that hits me is that it mentions headers. As far as I know Stan's is the only folks making 6.2 headers and they are much more costly than that exhaust system. Next if you click on the "More Info" link it list the engines and all are gassers. Here are a few Walker part numbers that might help with collecting parts.

...................Left ........................................Right
Fr pipe........ 47663 ....................................44354
Inter pipe .....45276................................... n/a
Muffler.. .......21910 ...................................21910
Taile pipe ......45823 ..................................45824

Edit, sorry for all the dots, the forum won't allow me to space stuff apart. Also noteworthy. My research came from the Walker Website. The Walker listing for the right front part number is the same as the parttarget cross reference Doghead posted. 2 ways to achieve the objective
I read it as meaning: if you have headers # 85003/86003 or 85503 it will fit.

MarcusOReallyus

Well, RA is grudgingly doing the right thing. They have issued a return authorization for both orders, and are paying the shipping back. They are still insisting that there must be something screwy with my truck because Walker is sure their kit is correct. Baloney - the kit parts don't even fall fit with each other, much less with my truck!

So, I'd do business with them again, I guess.

Now, there's the matter of finding the correct exhaust. I'm wide open to suggestions.

Anybody know if LMC's product is decent? I think I'll give them a call before I consider ordering online! :shock:

And I'll have my GM part numbers from the TM ready! :beer:

GPrez

I ordered the Walker parts for my 1028 from Rock Auto a couple months ago and everything fit fine. I didn't order a kit though. I order each part individually and all was good.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do go back to RA or another Walker dealer, I've listed the part numbers in my post above. You can confirm them all with the TM and Parttarget but the one Eric crossed came out to the same number I produced from the Walker catalog. I worked in the exhaust industry in the early 80's before they started using the aluminized looking pipe. The factory clear coating on our stuff (IPC) was crap. I repainted all my pipes and the systems lasted much longer. Wished I had a bender and the bending card library, I'd bend up some systems.

Carlo

I understand how you feel. When I order parts from the USA and they are not correct I eat them! It has not happened much but it has happened.

goldneagle

Same thing happened to me when I ordered aftermarket oil cooler lines for my M1008. The Dorman set we got were not bent correctly to mach the OEM ones. The mechanic spent 2 to 3 hours messing with them trying to get the lines to clear the shifter linkage. Ended up braking one line in the process. I found the correct ones from ACDelco on AMAZON.com. It only took 15 minutes to 30 minutes to get both lines replaced. They were a perfect fit and did not interfere with the linkage.

NOTE: I do not understand why the aftermarket manufacturers cannot make an exact copy of these lines! Afterall they have the originals still available to get the dimensions and angles from! They do not have to reinvent the item, just copy it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used grill paint but I did prep the pipes pretty well. Since I worked in the field, I had the resources to put it up on the lift every so often to touch it up. The diesel exhaust doesn't seem as hot as the stuff from my big block days..

Keith_J

Diesels have cooler exhaust temperatures, part of the high compression ratio and the fact heat is work is energy. Greater compression ratio, cooler exhaust. That and the fact diesels usually run far lean.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks