• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ferro got a tank

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Gimpy stole my coment rofl>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>When we going to paint it ?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Way to go Adam. That's a sweet looking addition to the "818 of DEATH". Now, are we going to see a load of Ferro's "special" deuce elixir at the Haspin rally this year, and start a price war with Doc????

jasonjc

Take that tire off and look for extar stuff in it. I heared more than once of a G.I. puting a tube in a tire that all ready had one rolled up in it.:shock:

Almost for got nice trailer. I seen those too and drooled. I'd love to have a tanker for my 5 ton.

Last edited:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tanker tows very nice EMPTY behind the 5 ton. I told Ferro that we now have enough fuel capacity to get my 814 and his 818 to Haspin and back, no stops.

I couldn't get over the tires- still had the overspray from the CARC paint, applied 11/04 :jumpin:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will probably pull the wheel off and see if I can tell anything from the outside- it might just be a bent rim.

LOL I might have to get my doubled endorsement and haul it, and Neil's houch to AK. No worries about fuel!:driver:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DO NOT trust that overfill prevention valve.. Ask me how I know.

Dont forget to chage the Filter Seperator socks also. Who knows whats growing in them.

zout

heck with sweet tea - gut that baby out - mount troop seats all around it - split that baby in 1/2 with hydraulic lift arms and make one sweet big A** BBQ texan style grille outta it - leave the back open with a ramp so all you have to do is herd pigs or cattle in there and gut em out at the rally on the Hickory tree.

I'll make the liquid refreshment and BBQ sauce.:jumpin:

This is Adam at the rally: :deadhorse:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
lol I've gotten the 'let's make a grill out of it!" comment from several of my friends already!

Oh, I don't trust anything like that emmado, I was in the Navy as an oil king! I plan to install tank level indicators and a panel at the valve tree so I can see how full it is. Just floats and lights. And I will always use the eyeball method or a 'soldier B'

Oh, and it is a Heil.

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drooled over them when they came up, congrats. If only they were a little closer.......

I'm hoping some will shake loose around here, but I'll probably be working 2500 miles away when they do.

Josh

I swear I remember reading a story on here about someone aquireing a tanker like that still full of diesel, talk about a score.

Fun fact - If your 5ton got 6mpg with a full tanker, you could drive around he planet once before ya had to stop for fuel.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It still has probably 10 or so gallons of old JP-8 in the lines. Plan to drain it out and burn it in the deuce.

I did a 300 mile trip, 1/3 bobtailing, on one 55 gallon tank, and still had some left in the tank. I'm sure it will be a whole tank one way when she's loaded!

fasttruck

5000 gallons of gas or diesel weighs about 40,000 pounds or so so your gross will probably be abouty 75,000 pounds going down the road. Brakes work ? Tires inflated ? Placards and MSDS as required ? Placarded trucks are definetely bear bait thesed days.

OSO

I lived in Milwaukee back when those were being built. Would drive past the Heil plant and see about 20 tanker trailers out in the yard. All painted up with camo pattern.2cents

Alredneck

Banned
Awesome, glad you were finally able to get the means to keep the side work going. That bio/veggie gig sounds pretty sweet! Hope it all works out and everything is going well out yonder!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
5000 gallons of gas or diesel weighs about 40,000 pounds or so so your gross will probably be abouty 75,000 pounds going down the road. Brakes work ? Tires inflated ? Placards and MSDS as required ? Placarded trucks are definetely bear bait thesed days.
load of WVO at 7.5lbs per gallon, 5000 gallons- 37,500lbs.

Empty Trailer weight- 13,000lbs

Tractor weight (m818)- 19,644lbs

Total- 70,144lbs

WVO doesn't need placards. Before I start backhauling the bio blend (which is placarded) I would like to get a m915 and I still need my hazmat endorsement, so I'm studying for the test now.

Brakes are new, one air line to one can needs to be replaced it's fraying a little, other than that, they work great. Tires are brand new. I need to check out the wobbley one.

The trailer was basically parked after rebuild in 11/04.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks