• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Few questions on installing a Fm100 fuel filter and electric fuel pump

84cucv1ton

Good afternoon. Working on my M1008 my stock filter base is part of my problem. I got a fm100 from Rob on CK5. I did a search I didn't see any pictures or info that I need. While I have the system open I figured I would install a 6.5 electronic fuel pump. Down the road I plan on putting a turbo on. Figured I might as well do it now. I would think a bunch of you have done this. The one I got from Rob is missing all the fittings. Home Depot and Lowe's were no help. This drawing find a few barbed fittings and plugs for the other holes. If anyone has some advice, pictures on how you did this please post up. Thanks a lot have a good weekend

rsh4364

Not sure if this helps,when I did my spin on and elect.pump I used wix#24770 head and airtex E8153 pump,I did find all the fittings at a local Fastenal store.I also added fuel psi gauges on input and outlet side of filter.

llong66

I used a factory replacement pump for I believe a '93 truck, just behind the cab, on the frame there is a "skid plate" remove that and there are some rubber lines connecting the outlet from the tank to the steel line running up to your mechanical pump. you will need to remove a small amount of the steel line to get the pump and a pre-filter to fit, then just run a fused line to an ignition hot spot on your fuse block. Also, if you follow the steel line up toward the engine, right beneath the firewall, on the frame is a brass "T" where another piece of steel line runs to your original mechanical pump, I removed that and re-bent a new piece of steel line to run up the firewall right to the filter housing. I still have my original filter housing, but this should work for you too assuming you are putting your new filter housing in approx. the same location as the original.

Drock

Here's what I did with mine, I just attached it to the original filter bracket..........Battery tray.jpg I found all the fittings at ace hardware

84cucv1ton

I found an Ace Hardware by me. Going to take a ride there in a few. Have the day off. Can finally get back on this. Thank you long66. That's some good information right there. Should make this a bit smoother. I'm thinking I might pass on the electronic fuel pump until I find what the real problem is that the surge. Thanks a lot guys for the replies. Will post up when you know how goes

84cucv1ton

Just tried starting the truck. Nothing. Not even a click. Rear battery has 12.42 V. Front battery has 8.15 V. So I guess somewhere There is a drain on the front battery:x

84cucv1ton

Finally got Ace Hardware and got the fittings for the FM100. $20 for bunch a little fittings. Anyway, they didn't have a petcock I was looking for. I bought the galvanized T fitting since they were out of the brass fitting. Going to put a plug in there for now. Till I find the kind of petcock am looking for. I have a fuel pressure gauge on the way from Summit racing..

I was just looking under the cab The two metal lines that go under the cab Do not have a hole but they are very close. Going to insulate that with some rubber.

One last question the one-way valve is that little hose that goes into the top of the injection pump? drawing a blank on this for some reason. looked at the fuel lines. didnt see any thing that looked like a valve. have a aluminum one way valve in the mail. as always thanks for the help

Attachments

Drock

FM100 filter.jpg Here's how Mine is plumbed. The front line is (IN) from the lift pump, and the rear line is (OUT) to the injection pump. The thing on the left is an over priced fuel heater.

Skinny

Are you aware that the housing already has a bleed port on it? Not sure if you know that since you are installing a petcock.

I'm not sure if you would really need a bleeder with an electric pump. Maybe someone else can confirm that. The air may just push through into the IP then back to the tank if you run the pump long enough during priming. I have Tygon line on my return fitting at the tank so I can see the fuel going back and know when air is present which helps.

84cucv1ton

No I did not know that it has a bleed port. Okay so I will skip that. My pressure gauge should be here in a few days. That's a good idea on the return line

Skinny

It makes a mess though, nowhere near as nice as the original box filter bleed. The petcocks with a built in nipple (totally did not type with a straight face) are very pricey and really the only way to do a clean bleed.

That is why I installed the tygon translucent line. I fill both my filters with fuel (be very clean with the last one since it goes right into the IP without filtration), hand prime till bubbles go away in return line, then do a traditional crank prime 2 or 3 cycles. Plug the IP back in and fire up. It is cranky for the first couple of minutes but then pulls right out of it. I'm sure it would be easier with an electric pump, activate, grab a cup o' Joe, and come back in ten. No mess, no work!

84cucv1ton

What kind of hose is tygon? Can I get at the Home Depot? Sounds like a good idea. I got the FM 100 in. Need to take it back out leaks like ****. Not too sure why just yet. I got a new one-way valve. Going to put that in as well. Where did you find the hand prime? Thanks for the help. Have a good Sunday everyone

Skinny

Hand primer can be bought through any Stanadyne dealer, NAPA also sells accessories for the FM100 unit. Same exact filter unit, just under another name brand, probably WIX.

I got everything through the dieselstore.com

Tygon fuel hose (which is not rated for extreme heat so be careful where you use it) can be bought online, special ordered at parts stores, and sometimes power equipment shops carry it because it is really the only line that tells Ethanol to piss off. You may not get good size availability at a power sports place though. I think I bought a spool off Amazon.

84cucv1ton

Replaced a bunch more rubber line. Put in a brand-new one-way valve. pulled the fm100 off again. Leaked all over the place because I forgot to put Teflon tape on the threadsaua That's what I get for rushing. Thanks skinny for the help. Working on bit by bit

Skinny

No prob!

Be careful with Teflon it really isnt rated for fuel and it should NEVER be used on the last fitting leading to he IP.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks