• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fiberglass bows and troop seats

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't see them being much more expensive than NOS ones are going for. Even used seem pricey to me.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm interested in the left and right side rack assemblies and the bows and staves. I have a good head board and good seats.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYI: GMA sells the cargo "kit" which is the cover and bows. They get $1131.41 for the kit. They also sell just the cover separate, it is $580.36. That means the bows are $551.05. I am guessing your going to find the complete seats to be over a grand. I think the only way to make this remotely affordable will be to just buy the fiberglass parts by themselves and cut/drill as needed, and that's if they will sell just the fiberglass. Hope I am wrong, but betting i'm not.

Lex_Ordo

Well I put a call into Stephan Wood Products this morning to follow up my e-mail. Unfortunately they are closed for vacation until the 20th, so I will have to wait an extra week.

Expensive, they might be, but we won't know until I speak to someone there. Also, since the truck was only a few $k, it gives me a margin to spend on it's restoration.

My truck is for show and driving, not off roading and construction. Otherwise I wouldn't be looking to make it showroom.

Let's wait and see. If it is too expensive, then we're back to the surplus game. But wouldn't it be nice to have an undamged set of sideracks? I think so.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lex,
Have you heard anything back from your e-mail you sent to inquire about the seats and headboards??

Lex_Ordo

Spoke with them today. They said that the pieces would be sold for the market price which was not available at the moment iIwas on the phone, but would get back to me this week.
Also, I was told that it would be better to ship the componets and assemble by the purchaser. Cheaper shipping.

I will post my results when I get some info to work with.

ida34

I need 4 fiberglass boards for my seats. When you get a price ask about getting the boards separately please.

Thanks
Chuck

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lex,
That sounds good to me, if they are willing to sell them to us, I'm willing to buy them. As long as I can afford them that is. I like the idea of them shipping the components out, that way we can buy just what we need, since I only need the headboards. Did they mention any possibility of a group discount for us? Keep us informed.

Lex_Ordo

Still waiting on the call back. I left a message today, but in the meantime I have been working another angle, and It may be cheaper to go this route.

I spoke with Clark Trucks today which have many take off troop seats and headracks. In addition to rebuilding them, they paint them and make them look near new. They also have just the components for whatever needs to be replaced.
I was quoted a price of $385, for two Siderack/ troop seats, plus shipping through FedEx.

I am waiting for them to call me back with a final price for the complete sideracks shipped. If it is significantly cheaper than the new ones from the manufacturer, then I will buy from Clark. If not, then I will buy from Stephan Wood Products.

More to follow...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Bambam, you should probably start a new thread for this info. The thread you posted in has nothing to do with the info you seek.

Lex_Ordo

Stephan Wood Products... 989-348-5496
$640 + shipping for right and left Siderack/troop seats. Unassembled w/ all hardware, shipped by Yellow Freight, 300 lbs.

Clark Truck Parts... (304) 755-8811
$385 + shipping, assembled excellent takeoffs shipped via FedEx.

So the difference lies in the cost between new and used, and whatever the shipping will be.
I am leaning towards the new even though it's more expensive b/c I think that the cost between Yellow and fedEx, will close the gap. Why pay close to the same for used when I can get new for a few dollars more?

Anyway, there is the info in a nutshell. For those of you wishing to buy components, give these two sources a call, and tell them that you were directed to them from the military vehicle forum. Maybe they will be more inclined to give you a better price.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank's a ton for the info lex, I really appreciate it, and I know I'll be making a few calls Monday morning.

Lex_Ordo

I got some price qotes on shipping...
WOW!

Yellow Freight from the manufacturer is $170. Not bad considering the shipping of the excellent used ones from Clark, via Roadway, is almost $3 bills. We also can forget FedEx, at over $8 bills.

SO it looks like New from the manufacturer. I'll build myself.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Anyone want some (metal) hemtt bows and staves? I have one set left I'd let go cheap(ish). For a stock deuce cover they will need to be cut down a tad. Might even trade for a good fmtv/lmtv cover.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you called the yards in the NE? I know CSI in GA has them for 150$ a side. I would think someone in PA would have them cheaper.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for doing all that research, Lex.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks