• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fifth Chipped Teeth

'48Chevy6

Fifth gear recently started giving a pretty loud tap in both high and low range, and last night the tap turned into a knock. This afternoon we took the top cover off and found what seems to be two and a half teeth chipped off. At this point budget dictates repair rather than replacement. I am looking for advice and input reguarding where to buy parts and any tips on installation. Thanks to Jatonka, I have access to the -34, -34-1, and -34P TMs. Which one do I want for a 1970 Deuce?

Thanks,

Zach

Attachments

KsM715

:ditto: You can find a whole (good) used trans for the price of what you'll find the parts and the hassle to rebuild it.

DieselBob

You need the TM 9-2520-246-34-1

TECHNICAL MANUAL, MAINTENANCE
DIRECT SUPPORT AND GENERAL SUPPORT LEVEL
TRANSMISSION
MODEL 3053A, NSN 2520-00-884-4833

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
While its commonly assumed, we do not know his trans is a 3053a, it could be a 3052. Zach, is there a model tag or is it O/D?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While its commonly assumed, we do not know his trans is a 3053a, it could be a 3052. Zach, is there a model tag or is it O/D?
FWIW that is a 3053 overdrive.
Pictured is the countershaft, with the bad 5th in the center, 3rd and 2nd to the right and the countershaft driven gear to the left (barely to be seen).
The largest gear on the 3053 countershaft is 5th, vs the 3052 where the driven gear is larger than "5th" (which actually is 4th gear, then)
Take a look here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/19512-3053-trans-od-not-2.html#post216607

G.

Last edited:

'48Chevy6

i have a good take out listed in the classifieds.....Shipping would probably not be nice but you could shot me an offer ..
I searched but must have overlooked it. Can you post a link or tell me a little about it?

Does anybody have any deuce trans shipping experience?

Thanks for the suggestions and input so far.

Tim

jwaller

I have a good used 5th I took out of my trans when I went to the monster OD. $50 plus shipping to you.

you also need to check the counter shaft to make sure the matching gear was not damaged too.

'48Chevy6

I have a good used 5th I took out of my trans when I went to the monster OD. $50 plus shipping to you.

you also need to check the counter shaft to make sure the matching gear was not damaged too.
Good point. Actually what I should be asking for is the fifth gear on the countershaft. As best I could tell, that is the only gear currently showing damage.

I talked to a fellow about a trans near Chicago for a couple of hundred dollars but with shipping at another couple hundred, I just don't think we're going to be able to swing the replacement box plus freight.

Do you happen to have the countershaft gear? I know that the countershaft is more work than a gear on the main shaft, but if my sixteen year old son was afraid of work, he wouldn't have saved up his money to buy a 40 year old army truck, would he?

Thanks for all the input guys, I am hoping that we'll find a resolution soon.

Tim

Ps. Tim is Soldier b, aka dad
Zach is Soldier a, aka owner

'48Chevy6

Is it just me or did that oil seem REALLY foamy.......

It might be the cause of the broken teeth.........or not
It is really foamy. I didn't know that gear oil/trans lube tar could support that many bubbles.

It has a brown color that (probably) indicates the presence of water. It's nasty, no doubt.

The picture was taken just minutes after shutdown as we had the tunnel cover off and were running it through the gears with the transfer in neutral to try and indentify any external contributing factors just before we pulled the top of the transmission case.

I was curious if we mistreated the gearcase and caused the missing teeth. After doing sveral searches here, it was obvious that we're not the only ones with this issue.

Tim

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
something else failed first to cause this damage. also i doubt the mainshaft 5th would still be good after running that way. plus lots of metal in brngs etc.

tom

'48Chevy6

something else failed first to cause this damage. also i doubt the mainshaft 5th would still be good after running that way. plus lots of metal in brngs etc.

tom
Thanks Tom,

I didn't really want to hear that but I know you speak the truth.

Still looking for a transmission closer than Chicago.

Tim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks