• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fifth Chipped Teeth

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but maybe my question could contribute to it's solution. In my transmission, the fifth on the countershaft is also missing a tooth (one). Pulled the missing tooth with a magnet out of the oil, so it's not floating around there anymore. The oil looks and the inside of the trans looks like new, and no other metal parts got stuck on the magnet. Also the main shaft counterpart of the fifth looks good, and it shifts and operates very well otherwise. It only starts to whine when the operating temp is there and one drives in the fith gear.
Now, swapping the trans is not an option so easily over here (hard to get, and at least in the range of 1000 $ ).
How problematic is it to take the transission apart and replace the gear, what parts does one need, and is the gear pressed on the countershaft? Does one need special tools for that job?

Cheers,
Mark

jwaller

How problematic is it to take the transission apart and replace the gear, what parts does one need, and is the gear pressed on the countershaft? Does one need special tools for that job?

Cheers,
Mark
the job is easily done with a shop press and some snap ring pliers. no special tools required.

'48Chevy6

Thanks Tom, I got your pm. Hopefully we will be removing the transmission tonight in order to see what else is wrong in there. You all make it sound really simple. Thanks everyone for all your help.

Zach

jwaller

take pics of the gears(synchros) and how they are on the shafts. it's amazing but it can be put back together the wrong way. I've done it, all the way to the driving stage.
It might also be quite a while from when you disassemble it to when you fix it and the pics in the TM's are not very good for this purpose.

'48Chevy6

with a stock trans, the counter shaft can be removed with the trans still in the truck.

tom
I wondered about that. With 6 to 8" of snow in the forecast, it was decided to drop the transmission so we could work on it inside.

We got it out last night and hope to tear it apart soon so that we can have it back together for the next big snow that we get.

Tim

with a stock trans, the counter shaft can be removed with the trans still in the truck.

tom
That's interesting and would save a lot of work, as some of us - like me - would have to do it without soldier B.

"stock trans" , does that include a PTO? Is there a source where one could order a new 5th gear drive for the countershaft?

Cheers,
Mark

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
with a pto, you probably have to remove it. the main shaft and countershaft will come out in the truck with stock gears. both the gears you need are easily availably here in the states and cheap. you should replace both, and find out what caused the failure. something foreign must have gotten in it.

tom

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
with a pto, you probably have to remove it.
Hey Tom, prob. remove what, the PTO.....? I don't think so. Remember it only engages the reverse idler gear and that you can leave in place anyways.

..... the main shaft and countershaft will come out in the truck with stock gears.
:ditto:

G.

Attachments

'48Chevy6

The transmission is apart. Fifth gear on countershaft is missing a couple of teeth. Nothing else seems realy bad.
The bearing on the input shaft feels kind of suspect. The rear bearing on the countershaft feels really rough.
Can a rough bearing condition lead to busted teeth?

There are also a couple of worn edges on synchronizers and gears, but we'll have to put up with that for the time being.

Tim

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...and what about the rollers inside the input shaft? And how much play for the mainshaft 5th on its sleeve?
All wear adds up for the bad and it comes to uneven tooth contact (side to side of flanks), excessive backlash and material fatigue.

TM 9-2520-246-34, pages 3-22 to 3-24, gives you the tolerances and wear limits.

TM temporarily attached below for the time the TM section is down.....

G.

Attachments

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
bad bearings also lead to metal in the oil which gets in all other areas and causes wear and failure.parts are fairly cheap so there is no point in not doing it right, new syncros are only $120 each for instance. bearings are readily available, but be sure you get the right kind, some have more balls that others. if in doubt, have someone look at it for you.

tom

'48Chevy6

bad bearings also lead to metal in the oil which gets in all other areas and causes wear and failure.parts are fairly cheap so there is no point in not doing it right, new syncros are only $120 each for instance. bearings are readily available, but be sure you get the right kind, some have more balls that others. if in doubt, have someone look at it for you.

tom
Thanks Tom,

I do appreciate your input. I am in contact with a fellow that has parts but as you have already fiqured out there is more damage than just the busted teeth. There are some other gears that show grinding damage to the leading edges, we will have to replace a bearing or two as well as the gasket kit and rear seal, and second gear doesn't always want to engage while sitting still.

The Soldier A on this project is my sixteen year old son. He bought it, he changed the engine, he tagged it, he pays for the State Farm insurance on it, he maintains it . (Heavy work done with the aid of either my brother or myself). But he is running out of Deuce money at this point and although I am certainly sensitive to those on the board that would say "If you can't afford to work on it, you probably shouldn't have one", I fully support his desire to return it to service even if it does not get a fully rebuilt transmission.

With that said, do you or anyone else have a complete trans available near the Maryland area?

Thanks again to all for your assistance and input. We will see this project through one way or the other.

Tim, aka dad

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks