• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Filter Change...Story included

IHASFIP

Ok so I figured I would inform ya'll of my little mishap. I ordered all the filters for the Deuce from Deuceman and got them in yesterday. I proceded to change all the filters last night. I got the 2 secondary filters changed without a hitch. They were filthy and had about 2 inches of sediment and rust in the bottom of them. Then I went on to the primary. It was worse. I loosened the alternator and then moved it up as to get to the bolt. Got it apart and it had about 3-4 inches of crap in it. Got it back on. Then I moved on and drained the oil. Then to the filters. Boy that was a mess. The truck had set all day and then started for about 3-4 minutes to pull it in the shop then sat another hour. Needless to say the filters were not empty. So after cleaning up my small oil spill, I pulled out the old seals and put the new ones in their places. Then I set the new oil filters in place and put the housings back on and tightened them down. After I double checked everything I opened the last fuel filters petcock and went to turn on the power. No fuel pump. So I go back there and mess with the cables. The power side of the cable is pretty well corroded so I do the best I can to clean it up and take my voltmeter and its getting 25 volts to it.. So I then take off the 3 little nuts exposing a odd fuse (MDL-2, 125 V). It was blown out. So I load up in the car and run to the parts store with a few minutes to spare before they close and can't find this fuse. ( At the time I didn't know what amp it was.) I bought the closest thing I could find, which was a 20 amp fuse ,:cry: and drive back to the shop. Put it in and...nothing. So now I am mad. I then pulled the pump out and and beat on it and then tried jumping power straight from the battery to the pump. Nothing. So I decide to put it back in the tank and clean up and go home. I put it back in and turn the power on one more time and it slowly rumbles to life. Shortly after I have a stream of clean fuel at the filter. Close off the petcock and hit the starter. After about 3 10 second bursts it fires up and runs real smooth. After about 8-10 seconds I have 60 psi of oil pressure. Check everything for leaks. Slight seepage around one of the oil filter housings. So I snug it up a little more and spray it off with brake cleaner. No more seepage. So I back it out of the shop so I can clean up the bay I was in. It took me about 15 minutes, during this time I let it run outside. When I was done cleaning I went out there and looked under the truck no leaks. I pulled it in and then right when I was about to shut it off I heard what sounded like someone dumping a bucket of water right under the truck. I immediately shut it off and got out. Underneath the truck was an oil spill that rivaled that of the Exxon Valdez !!! I run for the oil dry and realize I don't have near enough to soak it up. I then decided I would build a small retaining wall around the huge puddle out of the oil dry I did have to atleast try and contain it and not harm any seals or sea lions. :roll: To give ya'll an idea of the size of this spill it went from the out side to the outside of the front tires and from the winch bumper to about the middle of under the cab. After I got it contained I popped the hood and looked to see if there was any obvious cause for the leak. Couldn't see anything, it was all dripping in oil. I said screw it, and I washed up and headed home. Fast forward to this morning. I got back and decided the only thing that could have caused it was something to do with the oil filters. I decided to pull the problematic one that was seeping and sure enough I found the culprit. When I put on the housing apparently about and 8th of the seal went inside of the housing, preventing it from sealing on that portion. How it ran for approximately 20 minutes before it erupted I don't know. But it made one hell of a mess. I guess what I am trying to say it that always make sure the seals actually seal. Also always plan for the worse and plan for the simplest of jobs to take the longest and be the hardest. I know this is worthless without pictures but due to the relatively easy nature of the job my camera was at home charging. And although I had my Iphone, providing proof of my ignorance was the least of my worries. Anyways, hope you enjoyed my story and maybe someone will learn something from it. :) Everyone have a good weekend.

D

Last edited:

ARYankee

Thanks for sharing. I know I'll try and pay attention when I change my filters. I know had a similar problem with a truck I had. I pulled off the old filter and put on the new one and all was good I thought. I took it for a short drive and all of a sudden I was blowing oil everywhere. The old o ring from the old filter never came off with the filter, it stuck to the block. From then on when I change the oil in my vehicles I make sure it comes off.

Kaptin kalen

Ouch, S***t happens. I had changed the secondary filters and found the new seals were the wrong size and the flat washer gaskets on the oil filters were to small. Needless to say I had to use the old seals, Lucky me they were OK and so far no leaks. I'm upgrading to spin on filters. Kalen

dabtl

Putting the jatonka spin on filter adapters ends all of the gasket problems associated with the oil change. Glad I switched last year.

IHASFIP

Did you ever figure out the problem with the fuel pump?
No. I do know it was working this morning. Sometimes it is rather loud. So I think I will just buy that pump that ODIron has for 100$ and be done. It is just a toy anyways so being original is not important to me.

Putting the jatonka spin on filter adapters ends all of the gasket problems associated with the oil change. Glad I switched last year.
That is what i want to do. But at almost 500$ to do all the filters I think If I do it I will only get the adapter for the oil filters. The fuel filters went on easily with no problems or leaks.

D

dabtl

That is what i want to do. But at almost 500$ to do all the filters I think If I do it I will only get the adapter for the oil filters. The fuel filters went on easily with no problems or leaks.

D
I would begin with the oil filters first. As a matter of fact that is what I did. Then go with the primary fuel filter to get the first of the rust and crud from the fuel tank. Then, as I did, put on the secondary filters. Done over a year or so it makes a huge difference in the confidence you have in your engine system.

shootiniron

I'm going to second that.Useing John's spin-ons will not only give you that warm fuzzy every time you hit the starter button,but will add longevity to your engine.The ease of change is an added bonus.Secondaries too!

deuceman51

Alot of times what happons is when people tighten the cannister it spins and can move the seal. This is the first time out of 50 sets that anyone has had a problem. I'm actually working on finding an even wider gasket to eliminate the possiblity of this happoning. I'm sorry that happoned to you, but i'm glad that nothing happoned to your deuce. Hopefully in the next few weeks I will get an even better wider gasket #. I'm testing various ones on my trucks right now. Again glad to hear that nothing got damaged and a good lesson to always check your trucks after an oil change because even with spin ons they can leak. We lost 8 HEMTTs in our state because the spin on filter worked loose and the Detroits lost oil. JA sells great kits, but nothing in this world is perfect.

IHASFIP

[
Alot of times what happons is when people tighten the cannister it spins and can move the seal. This is the first time out of 50 sets that anyone has had a problem. I'm actually working on finding an even wider gasket to eliminate the possiblity of this happoning. I'm sorry that happoned to you, but i'm glad that nothing happoned to your deuce. Hopefully in the next few weeks I will get an even better wider gasket #. I'm testing various ones on my trucks right now. Again glad to hear that nothing got damaged and a good lesson to always check your trucks after an oil change because even with spin ons they can leak. We lost 8 HEMTTs in our state because the spin on filter worked loose and the Detroits lost oil. JA sells great kits, but nothing in this world is perfect.
Yea, it wasn't your fault. Or even a faulty gasket. It was just mechanics error. I do know that the housing did not spin when I tightened it. It must have just not sealed up when I set the housing on there or I pinched it. No harm no foul. I don't know yet even the new seal even worked. I will have to see. I only started it long enough to make sure it wasn't leaking and to pull it out of the shop. (I am a manager at a tire store.) So it may or may not work. Thanks again Deuceman for the speedy and cost effective shipping.

D

Srjeeper

IHASFIP,

Your not the first and certainly won't be the last to have a '1st. filter change' horror story. :twisted:

Fact be know, there's most likely more that do than don't. :oops:

Everytime hereafter it gets easier and easier, but JT's spin-on's are the way to go. ;-)

Glad the only damage was to the shop floor and your 'calm'. :doh:

Enjoy your deuce....:driver:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did the double gasket deal on my wife's Toyota truck about 25 years ago. When the red light came one, my wife thought she could reach the next exit on the interstate. She didn't make it, and a rebuilt engine cost me $1200 in 1985 dollars. That was her first day on the new job, too.

She learned about why idiot lights aren't as good as gauges, and I learned about checking for the old gasket when I remove an oil filter.

IHASFIP

UPDATE: Filter is still seeping. Even with the new gasket. I pulled it off again and used a gasket from the WIX filter that I got from the parts store. It is flat and wide and made of gasket material instead of the square rubber ring that Deuceman sent me, and it is still seeping. Does anyone have any other suggestions? The o-ring Deuceman sent me seems to be slightly smaller than the opening in which the housing sits in. And so did the rubber seal that came with the WIX filter. The gasket material one is the best so far, but still leaking. The weird thing is the other filter has the rubber o-ring and it isn't leaking I don't think???

D

Pawnshop

Not if it was tweaked during the change.

Did you replace the old gasket under the nut on top of the canister? Did you make sure the filter was lined up correctly inside the canister and on top of the base? The TM shows the cup and spring under the filter but mine was on top of the filter, would not fit the other way, did make it a bit wobbly until everything was seated and tightened down.