• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Filter Change...Story included

IHASFIP

I did not replace the gasket under the nut as it wasn't and isn't leaking there. It actually looked new. The filter went in the way it came out which is the was it is shown in the TM. I have done it 3 times with 3 different seals and can't get it to stop. How would it get tweaked? Isn't it pretty thick metal. I am not trying to sound contradictive, just trying to figure it out. It didn't tighten it enough to tweak it?

D

Pawnshop

Just thinking out loud... If the housing is not square the seal won't make. Take the canister off and roll it on the floor and see if its round. I can see how frustrating it would be to not be able to pin it down, I got lucky and my canisters sealed the first time I tried it. My next oil change will include a JT spin on oil filter set, that should stop these types of problems.

chvss65

When i did mine last, I cleaned till all I could see was dry metal on the filter housing and used the larger flat gasket material gasket, it sort off had to be popped into the filter housing base, as it wouldn't lay flat right away, ya sort of have to work it around and flatted it carefully, till ya can feel that its flush, when you remount the filter canister keep slight down pressure on it so it stays flat and square on the on the gasket
and don't tighten it to much, they are just like a car, if ya tighten to much the gasket will split
just my old canister Chevy experience speaking

deuceman51

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is either, I operate 5 multifuel trucks and have never had that problem with my trucks or my filter kits. The gasket i'm working on getting is similar to the one you tried I believe and is wider to reduce that risk of the seal moving. The seals are the ones supplied by Baldwin, but Baldwin also supplies about half of the filters that we use in the military and we rarely have this issue. I also wonder if either the cannister bolt is bent or if there is a nick in the cannister bottom itself. Without being there to look it over, i'm not sure what it could be.