• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

filtering UMO oil ( HOW )????

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That looks like it should work. You might want to put pressure gauges in for each filter, so you can tell one gets clogged. Also, you could just plumb the bypass back to the original tank, instead of using a second one.

russ132

Please search for "my oil filtration method". In that posting you will see how I have my filtration system set up. You could easily substitute canister filters for the centrifuge that I have in my setup. Preheating the oil greatly increases the rate at which it will flow.
As far as the mixture, I have run percentages from 50% to 100% of both WMO and WVO. Thinning it down by 15 to 20% seems to be the right mix for me. I do not however run any WVO when it is cold outside. Best of luck to you!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is easier to have the bypass tank the same as the starting tank. That way the fluid is pumped back into the same tank if it is not filtered. The bypass valve should be set to the working pressure of the filters, which is usually between one fourth and one third the bursting pressure. Having an electrical circuit on it to light up a warning signal would also help to alert you that the filters are clogged so you can stop the pump and fix the problem. Or you could even have the bypass activation simply stop the pump. That way, if you check on it and the pump is not running, it will be most likely that the filters are clogged.2cents

Kalashnikov

I use a gas water pump with a spin on filter to filter my wate motor/hydraulic/misc. oil. I pour or pump my oil into a holding barrel and let it sit for a while-the longer the better. Then I pump into a big 280gal holding tank and let it sit again. From there I pump into the tank. I use a single 10 micron filter on the output side of my suction pump. I keep an eye on the the oil coming out of the end of the hose to known when a filter is clogging. You won't get a complete clog unless you are getting water which thickens and clogs filters. I can fill up faster or at least as fast as a normal gas station. SO far I think I did 1500miles in the deuce, 1500 in the 5 ton, maybe 20/30 gallons in the 10 ton, and 1000miles in my F350.

I also NEVER pump from the bottom and always try to stay as far up in the oil with the end of my pick-up as possible.

When you think about it, oil filters are usually 20-30 micron filters. If 20-30 microns isn't going to harm machine bearing surfaces then I think our injection pump will be well in the clear filtering with 10 microns.

Last edited:

seabeeut

has anyone thought about using a standard 250 gal home heating oil tank
and a becket oil burner? You could use the moter and pump from the burner
put you pickup tube in from the top and use the bottom drain to empty any water and sludge.
pipe the pump as a two stage and run a return to the tank.
By using standard oil filters and a final filter you could get it down to 2 or 3 microns.
you would strain your waste oil when pouring into the tank you could also get some barrel heaters
to help drive out mositrue.
Those of you that live in the colder areas make friends with your local home heating guy they would probably love to have some one take the waste oil of thier hands.
filter changes tank replacments restarts you would be suprized how fast pints and quarts add up when you are doing hundreds of service calls.

reom35a2fluiter

I will drive in my REO the 50/50 mix. 50% fuel and 50% UMO.
if this gives no problems for the injection pump, so the rubber rings??
The injectors can handle it if I'm going to use this mix??

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Neodymium magnets are the best, I believe they are also called rare Earth magnets, Drop a few in the bottom of your tank. This is cheap insurance.

Kalashnikov

I will drive in my REO the 50/50 mix. 50% fuel and 50% UMO.
if this gives no problems for the injection pump, so the rubber rings??
The injectors can handle it if I'm going to use this mix??
The added lubrication from the UMO more than makes up for the lack of lubrication in gas.

I will filter my UMO oil, must I first warm up the oil??
You don't have to warm it up but it help it flow faster.

does it matter whether I am in my deuce and a half, semi-synthetic oil + full synthetically oil filled in the tank do???????
Synthetic or standard oil and any combo of oil works fine as fuel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks