• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Filtering used oil

cbvet

Wow!
Surprised to see this old thread again.
Now that I have a few years experience filtering & burning WMO, I can give some advice.
First advice would be to read all the info in the "alternative fuel" thread. There are a lot of good ideas. And some that are too complicated/expensive.
Gravity system? Tried it. WAY too slow even with bag filters. I can't imagine trying to filter with spin-ons without a "pump" of some sort.
I still use bag filters. No expensive housing needed, just a PVC plug to clamp the bag onto, with a fitting to pump the oil in. And a large funnel into a barrel.
I pump the filtered WMO through a Racor water-separator filter as I fill the tank.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use an automotive air filter mounted in a container that I pour the oil though and capture the filtered oil in a 5 gallon gas can. It runs through fairly fast and I only use oil drained out of my vehicles so no worries about anti-freeze.

bmwsid

centrifuge

I just purchased a unit on e-bay for $145 delivered. It will do 60 GPH. It takes a couple passes, so figgure 2 hrs for a batch not over 60 gal. I am going to use it for bio-diesel, but am going to look into black diesel too, which is used motor oil. From what I read, the centrifuge should remove the water too, but after the process for bio diesel, almost all the water is already out.
The 'fuge I have coming is new, and comes with several fittings and a presssure guage. There are some in re-cycling yards too, they were used on older Mack trucks for cleaning their oil. I found some in Buffalo, NY at a yard, but he wanted $150 with nothing included, so I opted for the new one. I still have the contact info if anyone is interested. I imagine he would ship you one!
OK, call Casey's @ 716-681-0750. It took them a few days to get back to me, but now that they looked, they might have one handy.
Good luck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks