• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Filtering used oil

cbvet

Wow!
Surprised to see this old thread again.
Now that I have a few years experience filtering & burning WMO, I can give some advice.
First advice would be to read all the info in the "alternative fuel" thread. There are a lot of good ideas. And some that are too complicated/expensive.
Gravity system? Tried it. WAY too slow even with bag filters. I can't imagine trying to filter with spin-ons without a "pump" of some sort.
I still use bag filters. No expensive housing needed, just a PVC plug to clamp the bag onto, with a fitting to pump the oil in. And a large funnel into a barrel.
I pump the filtered WMO through a Racor water-separator filter as I fill the tank.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use an automotive air filter mounted in a container that I pour the oil though and capture the filtered oil in a 5 gallon gas can. It runs through fairly fast and I only use oil drained out of my vehicles so no worries about anti-freeze.

bmwsid

centrifuge

I just purchased a unit on e-bay for $145 delivered. It will do 60 GPH. It takes a couple passes, so figgure 2 hrs for a batch not over 60 gal. I am going to use it for bio-diesel, but am going to look into black diesel too, which is used motor oil. From what I read, the centrifuge should remove the water too, but after the process for bio diesel, almost all the water is already out.
The 'fuge I have coming is new, and comes with several fittings and a presssure guage. There are some in re-cycling yards too, they were used on older Mack trucks for cleaning their oil. I found some in Buffalo, NY at a yard, but he wanted $150 with nothing included, so I opted for the new one. I still have the contact info if anyone is interested. I imagine he would ship you one!
OK, call Casey's @ 716-681-0750. It took them a few days to get back to me, but now that they looked, they might have one handy.
Good luck