• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally coming to fruition!! Getting a Deuce!

todds112

After years of yearning for a Deuce, it's finally happening!! I have had an offer accepted on a nice looking winch truck. I am getting what I think is a screaming good deal on the truck. Fiberglass troop seats, lots of spare parts (14 wheels and tires!), cargo cover, etc. etc. Looks like it has drop sides. Truck shows 200 hours and 3,000 some miles (I know that might not be accurate). I sure hope it's as presented. It's part of an older gentleman's vehicle collection. Sadly he passed away recently and his family is selling it. They don't know much about the truck.

So now the adventure to recover it. It's only a couple hundred miles away (as opposed to the 900 mile adventure I had getting my Pinzgauer in the middle of winter :cookoo:). I'm very excited and nervous at the same time.

I think I've read every recovery thread on this site over the years. Also read every "what to look for" thread, so I hope I'm up for it. Here's the pics I have of it from the seller. I go get it on Friday.

Man, this is going to be a long week!!:jumpin:

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats. You will find that doing all the research and planning will result in an effortless recovery. I studied the manuals for years before I got my first deuce. All the stuff that made no sense in the manual, made perfect sense when behind the wheel. Research and prep is kinda like taking a rain suit and umbrella, it will assure you that it doesn't rain.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a brother to my Deuce. Fiberglass racks and drop sides, winch and hard top - you scored. Good luck with the recovery!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good looking dropside you bought. Looking forward to the recovery posts.

todds112

Well back home without a deuce. Sadly it wasn't quite what I thought. Was a little "rougher" in person. probably a good deal for someone with more experience and the means to tackle bigger jobs. It's a shame because there were a lot of extra parts. The extra tires (mounted on wheels) looked to be new. Saw a bit of white smoke coming out of the stack. Also had an anti-freeze smell, but it wasn't leaking from the radiator or any hoses. Was a bit worried it was a head gasket issue. Engine and transmission both had quite a bit of oil all over. It did drive nice, tracked straight as an arrow.

Oh well, The quest continues, I guess.

m109a2

Do not give up brother it took me almost a year to find a match for me.A 1971 am general m35a2 whight ldt 465 c turbo w/w air assist steering,1000 pound winch mounted on tailgate,tow bar slave cables,24volt fuel pump with plenty of hoses and,nosel 30d36r 3kw gen set,demilled hubs canvas cargo top and both caps,And the best part is the m35a2 frame mated to a 105 tow and a 109 on top with a 5000 btu ac custom cabinets and built in rack.And many more ,For about 11k.And drove it 1200 miles without incedent God bless Neil Henricks good luck on your next prodget

todds112

I couldn't stand it. I read and re-read every thread I could find on the possible issues with the truck. I kept coming back with, "I can do that". It was just too good of a deal with all the spare parts and the winch. So, I just overnighted a check and found a shipper. It will be in my driveway on Saturday!

rustystud

The issues you described are not that serious. I'm glad you decided to go ahead and get it. As far as the oily transmission and engine go I have yet to see one that doesn't have oil leaking a bit. The fact that it drives arrow straight says a lot about the whole steering system which is a good thing ! The white smoke, unless it is a cloud I would not worry to much unless it does not go away after the engine is warmed up. Check the head gasket area, do you see any weeping ? Head gaskets can be changed quite easily on these rigs. With all the extras you got, I believe you made a good deal.
Welcome to the madness !

Last edited: