• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally got me a deuce!

Balalala

The truck was fully functional for the weekend!

Now I'm having alternator problems on the old girl.. I left the lights on, just brake lights etc not the headlights.. left them on for about a week.

When I went to start it I noticed low voltage on the batteries, but it started no problem.

I let it warm up and took it for a spin, but the voltage stayed way down on the guage. I thought maybe due to the low voltage the sending wire wasn't exciting the alternator, so I charged the batteries. Still no dice, soon as I start the truck the volt meter is in the yellow.

HDN

Maybe the voltage regulator died? I have the same problem with my truck and have yet to seriously troubleshoot it. The voltage regulator can be removed from the alternator so you don't have to spend $600+ for another alternator. The regulators can be had for under $200. Just make sure you get the regulator that matches your alternator as the alternators came from a few different manufacturers. In the meantime, it might be a good idea to invest in a pair of 12V Battery Tenders to keep the batteries charged.

These trucks are also known to crack their alternator mounts and cause a bend which keeps the alternator from generating enough power to charge the truck due to belt slip, so I've read. I've looked over my alternator mount and haven't found such an issue.

Either way, it would be a good idea to run through the TM troubleshooting procedure of poor charge to best determine the problem.

Balalala

Maybe the voltage regulator died? I have the same problem with my truck and have yet to seriously troubleshoot it. The voltage regulator can be removed from the alternator so you don't have to spend $600+ for another alternator. The regulators can be had for under $200. Just make sure you get the regulator that matches your alternator as the alternators came from a few different manufacturers. In the meantime, it might be a good idea to invest in a pair of 12V Battery Tenders to keep the batteries charged.

These trucks are also known to crack their alternator mounts and cause a bend which keeps the alternator from generating enough power to charge the truck due to belt slip, so I've read. I've looked over my alternator mount and haven't found such an issue.

Either way, it would be a good idea to run through the TM troubleshooting procedure of poor charge to best determine the problem.
Heya HDN,

Any ideas on how you would determine it to be a faulty regulator? First thing I checked was the belt etc, everything looks alright.

Low voltage output would be a symptom of a bad regulator. As apposed to no output at all?

I do think my buddies at Napa would test it for me. I see in the TM it weighs like 35kg

HDN

You can find the instructions starting on page 0012 00-8 of TM 9-2320-386-24-1-1. It goes through charging system troubleshooting for both 60 Amp and 100 Amp systems.

The instructions don't isolate the voltage regulator - they just say to replace the alternator if the troubleshooting procedure says so. At that point it might be worthwhile to take the thing out of the truck and have it bench-tested. I don't expect the alternator itself to go bad - they should last a very long time as long as they're properly cooled (the main enemy of electric motors and generators is heat, IMO).

When an alternator in a car or light truck goes bad, it's usually the built-in voltage regulator. It's just that the easiest course of action dealing with it is just swapping in another whole alternator. It's about the same here but more-so user-repairable, though I've never attempted to take apart a small alternator :p

Balalala

You can find the instructions starting on page 0012 00-8 of TM 9-2320-386-24-1-1. It goes through charging system troubleshooting for both 60 Amp and 100 Amp systems.

The instructions don't isolate the voltage regulator - they just say to replace the alternator if the troubleshooting procedure says so. At that point it might be worthwhile to take the thing out of the truck and have it bench-tested. I don't expect the alternator itself to go bad - they should last a very long time as long as they're properly cooled (the main enemy of electric motors and generators is heat, IMO).

When an alternator in a car or light truck goes bad, it's usually the built-in voltage regulator. It's just that the easiest course of action dealing with it is just swapping in another whole alternator. It's about the same here but more-so user-repairable, though I've never attempted to take apart a small alternator :p
Gotcha. I definitely want to get it sorted out before winter gets here.

ToddJK

My alternator failed on me three times on my old deuce. Had it rebuilt twice from the same shop, first it was the regulator then the brushes. When it failed for the third time I just replaced it with a 24v AC Remey and had a local shop fab up a bracket for me, didn't have anymore issues with it afterwards. But HDN is correct, the regulator is more times than not the issue and sometimes it causes a short within itself, which causes dead batteries and over charge all the time. I would find a local shop that rebuilds starters and alternators and see how that works out, NAPA can test it but if it fails the test, I doubt they can narrow it down like a shop can. Also, there is a voltage adjustment on the regulator, it's a screw you can turn. Have you tried to mess with that? Couldn't hurt to play with it a little before you take it out just in case it actually works and solves the issue. If/when you remove it, just be careful, it is heavy and I'd recommend putting some paracord or something on it to hold it in place so it doesn't want to fall on your hands or your face if you save the bottom bolts for last.

Balalala

My alternator failed on me three times on my old deuce. Had it rebuilt twice from the same shop, first it was the regulator then the brushes. When it failed for the third time I just replaced it with a 24v AC Remey and had a local shop fab up a bracket for me, didn't have anymore issues with it afterwards. But HDN is correct, the regulator is more times than not the issue and sometimes it causes a short within itself, which causes dead batteries and over charge all the time. I would find a local shop that rebuilds starters and alternators and see how that works out, NAPA can test it but if it fails the test, I doubt they can narrow it down like a shop can. Also, there is a voltage adjustment on the regulator, it's a screw you can turn. Have you tried to mess with that? Couldn't hurt to play with it a little before you take it out just in case it actually works and solves the issue. If/when you remove it, just be careful, it is heavy and I'd recommend putting some paracord or something on it to hold it in place so it doesn't want to fall on your hands or your face if you save the bottom bolts for last.
Thanks Todd I appreciate the advice. Considering it went from good to dead, I don't think the adjustment screw is going to save me. The info about yours needing repaired twice doesn't sound good.

I would like to keep this old girl stock, for looks and just for pure kicks. I am out of town at the moment. When I get back home I will test the voltage at the alternator and then remove the back plate and have a look. I will give it the benefit of the doubt and try to have it repaired, but I do not think I would buy a new one for the 800usd I seem them selling for.

I hope it doesn't give me to much grief if / when I remove it. I will get a 2nd pair of hands to help out. Let it fall on his fingers 😅

HDN

I hope it doesn't give me to much grief if / when I remove it. I will get a 2nd pair of hands to help out. Let it fall on his fingers 😅
If you have some overhead support available, like a thick tree branch or a beam in a barn, you could set up a comealong or some kind of hoist to help support the alternator. I might try it with an engine crane - somehow!

Balalala

If you have some overhead support available, like a thick tree branch or a beam in a barn, you could set up a comealong or some kind of hoist to help support the alternator. I might try it with an engine crane - somehow!
My goodness! An alternator replacement should not require an engine crane! I wonder why it is so large in comparison to the ones built today..

HDN

My goodness! An alternator replacement should not require an engine crane! I wonder why it is so large in comparison to the ones built today..
LOL I'm not so much worried about the weight, but control of it. I'd hate to drop a 30-lb alternator on the water pump or plastic cooling fan after undoing the mount bolts with one hand! Maybe it can be blocked-up somehow. I haven't really taken a good look at it yet to figure it out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks