• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally joined the MEP-803A club...

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do, PM me your address. I have a couple extra of those throttle knarps, be happy to drop one in the mail.

robson1015

Thank you ... I may need to do that -
Maybe a dumb question but what does the button on the freq. cable do? When my unit is running I can adjust the Hz but twisting the knob. I have it set on 61Hz. When under load does the governor automatically rev up the engine ?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The center button allows the RPMs to change. It drops them down to 1200 or so (but the reality of the machine in my opinion, and others... is that you never want to slow this machine down). If you open the door on the cable side, you can trace the line right back to the governor control... that turns and has two screws which stop the movement. It just pulls that control from low rpm to high, for the lack of a better description.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its the twisting motion on the cable knob which allows for fine rpm tuning, basically... to tweak the rpms due to load, to hit 60hz.

Guyfang

Staff member
Actually, it cost 72 dollars new. The two below listed companies supplied it to the gov. Part number: 347L-032-2, NSN: 2190-01-385-9030

ARENS CONTROLS COMPANY, L.L.CDBA ARENS CONTROLS3602 N KENNICOTT AVE ARLINGTON HEIGHTSIL60004-1467UNITED STATES
B.W. ELLIOTT MANUFACTURING CO., LLCDBA ELLIOTT MANUFACTURING11 BECKWITH AVENUE BINGHAMTONNY13901-1726UNITED STATES

Phone numbers
847-8444779847-8444790
697-7720404607-7720459

Could not hurt to call!

robson1015

Called both and both wanted to ass rape me...I'm willing to go $100 or so.
So if I have the Hz set at 60-61 without load does it take much adjustment when a load is applied??

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends if you are slowly adding load, or dumping your mother in laws hot tub AND deep fryer onto the circuit at the same time... but regardless these machines should take it and will only vary upon initial balancing.

robson1015

DSCF2255.jpgDSCF2256.jpg

Got the MOV modification done today thanks to Kloppk...Thank You Kurt.
Also got a output lug wrench from flea bay...

Before DSCF2257.jpg AfterDSCF2260.jpg

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Did you try the wrench? There are several sizes. NEVER use it under power. Try and use it when the set is stopped, and you will understand why soldiers cut several inches off the handle.

Guyfang

Staff member
I actually knew someone who tried to use one, while under load. Contractors are not supposed to assault Soldiers. I showed great restraint. His supervisor, did not.

Its funny now, but I thought he had come to an abrupt end when he flew backwards off the PU trailer and slammed into the Truck. By the time I got there, his supervisor had "Counseled" him. He had barely stood up from the shock, when she hit him. Then she sent him to the Dispensary. Good NCO.

Guyfang

Staff member
Depends on who was looking. I almost never ordered 3 piece rods. Too expensive. I got the one piece rods. AND you could not cheat, unless you used a hacksaw. In Air Defence, we often were inspected by NATO wiesel's. They had no humor for short rods. A commander could loose his job if something went wrong. So we were pretty honest.

Other units, not so much. For me, the three piece rods always seemed too prone to becoming loose. Loose rod, bad ground. I have been bit bad by electricity two times. I am over Mr Overkill in this instance. The down side to the one piece rod is that you can not use the ground rod driver/puller. I have left about 42 miles of ground rod in Mother Germany's soil.

Later, when I worked as a NATO wiesel, the first thing I did was try the ground connections, and then tried to pull a rod up. It was sad face when something was loose or a rod was so poorly driven in the ground that a poor old, used up inspector like me, could pull it up.

Sometimes in the desert, we could not get a good ground with 5 pieces. Sometimes we drove 10-15 rods in the ground and wired them all up, to get a ground.

robson1015

DSCF2275.jpgDSCF2289.jpgDSCF2283.jpg

Got a load bank today, craig'slist for $50. Maxed out at 65% load with everything on 'high' setting and broiler. Got another 10% on the convenience outlet, total 75%. Ran it for 2 1/2 hours @ 75% load. All went well. I'll have to get a supplement heater or something to get to 100%. So far so good.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks