• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fined for running WMO (not me)

PsycoBob

ULSD is required in 2007 (?) and up trucks, but older diesel is still legal to put in pre-07 trucks. Remember when diesel spiked higher than gas all of a sudden? Compare that with the dates for ULSD rollout. ULSD is much harder to refine.

Supposedly NY allows private production and use of biodiesel below a certain gallon limit. AFIK, running blended wmo in a multifuel with a DoD "Exempt from Emissions control for Nat'l Security reasons" plate on the block just means keeping careful track of fuel put in the tank, and paying taxes on it. I'm hoping that having a detailed logbook/receipts/photo-album in the glove box detailing what you've been doing/paying will get you out of most troubles. Historical plates help too. (mental note, find wtf I need to actually DO this. WMO filtration system is mostly complete.)

Some areas have goofy regs for commercial trucks- I remember reading that California was banning all non-compliant trucks from driving in the state. Ny is really picky about fleet vehicles in the NYC area. It seems someone noticed that garbage trucks were responsible for most of the smog.

Dodge man

I have been pulled over in a dump truck and had my stack swabbed multiple times. They don't care what color the fuel in the tank is around here... they go straight for the stack and swab for sulfur to see if you have been running off road fuel.
I've never heard of that before. Is that a search that you have to give "consent" to? If so I'd be telling them NO!

OTOH my vehicles are privately owned and commercial truck drivers probably have to give "consent" in order to get their licenses and permits just as auto drivers have to give their "consent" to DUI tests in order to have a driver's license in this state (Fla).

I know that there are laws on the books regarding using home heating oil and other "off-road" fuels on the road but I've never heard of anyone ever being stopped and being checked. I guess it's a whole new world when dealing with big MVs. But I've seen plenty of articles in the news about people driving around in modified cars and only using veggie oil and such but I seriously doubt that they're being checked!

ZRT556

I have a customer, a paper mill in Alabama, that got nailed for using off-road diesel a few years ago. They had an F-250 which was used exclusively on mill property. Didn't even have a tag. They rooutinely drove it out the front gate and approximately 1/4 mile to fill it with off-road when needed at the local station. One day the highway patrol was waiting. I can't remember the exact fine, but it was several thousand dollars because they admitted that they had been doing this for many years.
Even with out their admission, the fine would still be in the thousands.

Another farmer in the area used off road diesel in his tractor trailers. He was caught once and was fined $3000. He laughs when he tells the story, because over all the years he did this, he save far more than $3000 in taxes.

PsycoBob

Tax related amusement: When my brother was 9, he dressed up for Halloween in a suit & tie, complete with briefcase. *knock, knock* "I'm from the IRS, and I'm here to help." (opens briefcase and holds it up) "Now give me half your candy."

Most of our neighbors had trouble standing they were laughing so hard. :D

In NY, we now get taxed based on odometer mileage & vehicle weight. Alt-e vehicles get a much higher mileage rate, on the assumption that CNG/electric isn't taxed.

On a bright note, CNG/Propane conversions can add a supercharger to get back some of the lost power (gaseous fuel vs liquid taking up more space in the intake charge) and write it off as part of the 'clean fuel' kit. :D CNG is at 130 Octane equivalency.

Yohan

Man, what ever happened to leaving people the h*ll alone? Tax this, tax that. There will come a time, as it has in all of history, when people won't take it lying down anymore. If that's worth their "tax"; they deserve everything they get.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm no fan of taxes but I don't understand all the outrage with the fuel tax. The fuel tax is nothing new. I don't know when they started taxing road fuel (gas and diesel) but it has been taxed all my life (I'm 36).

It is accually one of the "fairest" taxes there is. I know in TN all fuel tax MUST go toward roads so the people that use the roads pay for it.

I'm sure there is alot of waste in the Transportation Dept and the fuel tax could be lowered but I don't understand why some people think the shouldn't have to pay any fuel tax when everybody else on the road has to pay it.

Yohan

I don't disagree with paying taxes at all and I didn't mean to imply that! I used to work for a paving company- a large one that built roads from the southern states to NY. I remember the owners of the company talking about the majority of taxes that we pay in NY on fuel DO NOT go towards building roads or road up-keep, which had a lot to do with an lack of funds for state roads. The sad reality is that taxes aren't used for maintaining our nation anymore (infrastructure or otherwise); they're being used to ruin it.

It sounds like the great state of TN has a little better grasp on it than NY does. But I still stand behind what I said in my last post. We don't realize some fantastic benefit from all of the taxes we pay. They feed a fat, lazy cow at the expense of the working class. Eventually, as history shows, people can -and eventually will- only take so much.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sad reality is that taxes aren't used for maintaining our nation anymore (infrastructure or otherwise); they're being used to ruin it.

We don't realize some fantastic benefit from all of the taxes we pay. They feed a fat, lazy cow at the expense of the working class. Eventually, as history shows, people can -and eventually will- only take so much.
I can't argue with you there when you talk about taxes in general.

I have a customer, a paper mill in Alabama, that got nailed for using off-road diesel a few years ago. They had an F-250 which was used exclusively on mill property. Didn't even have a tag. They rooutinely drove it out the front gate and approximately 1/4 mile to fill it with off-road when needed at the local station. One day the highway patrol was waiting. I can't remember the exact fine, but it was several thousand dollars because they admitted that they had been doing this for many years.
My Neighbor in Alabama is a retired corrections officer who tells me the fine is $25k! I'm glad i can go to the Army Reserves fort nearby and buy regular diesel for the same price as off-road.

I don't disagree with paying taxes at all and I didn't mean to imply that! I used to work for a paving company- a large one that built roads from the southern states to NY. I remember the owners of the company talking about the majority of taxes that we pay in NY on fuel DO NOT go towards building roads or road up-keep, which had a lot to do with an lack of funds for state roads. The sad reality is that taxes aren't used for maintaining our nation anymore (infrastructure or otherwise); they're being used to ruin it.

It sounds like the great state of TN has a little better grasp on it than NY does. But I still stand behind what I said in my last post. We don't realize some fantastic benefit from all of the taxes we pay. They feed a fat, lazy cow at the expense of the working class. Eventually, as history shows, people can -and eventually will- only take so much.
What goes around comes around. That fat lazy cow gives birth to many low-income children so she can buy her flatscreen TV. In turn, those little chil'ren grow up to enlist in the military where they will go fight for our country and get slaughtered as needed. If there aint a war to fight, don't worry, there will be. Ever heard of the Gulf of Tonkin?

I read some of these post and realized i never even thought about the fuel tax. I live in Oregon so i went online and found the application for use fuel users license. printed it filled it out called and asked how much money they wanted. All they needed was a $100 dollar deposit. the license is free. i need to track my mileage and the amount of fuel both taxed an untaxed. mail in a report one a month with owed taxes, should be about $15 dollars if i drive a lot. As soon as the window sticker comes back the fuel tanks going black. (A little rime for your enjoyment) Check with your state if its like Oregon there is no reason not to be legal.

196thprober

Thank you;well said-hopefully some folks will be walking up to the fact that there is NEVER enough taxes to levy on the citizens (taxpaying ones)- it just keeps piling up year after year so more govermment/less freedoms can be inflicted on us. Rant over-that is all.

JCKnife

I have been pulled over in a dump truck and had my stack swabbed multiple times. They don't care what color the fuel in the tank is around here... they go straight for the stack and swab for sulfur to see if you have been running off road fuel.

Would WMO add sulfur? I don't know if that would show anything on the stack swab or not.

I checked KY law this morning and all I see is a tax CREDIT for biodiesel, but really nothing for WMO (for or against).