• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fined for running WMO (not me)

ironwolf85

What if the filters were screen filters. The diesel would flush out the veg every time you switch Em. Could they get samples then? My friend is doing a dual tank setup in his 5 ton with one diesel and one heated veg oil. Then blocking off the screen going into the tank and filling that with diesel. The diesel would stay in the filter sleeve and the veg oil would b below.

neb4x4

I run my M35A2 on used ATF. I work at a repair shop and we do alot of tranny flushes. Most is synthetic ATF. So i put it in a 55 gal drum, then take it home, where I pump it into a bulk take VIA a 2 micron filter. Then when I fill up my M35 AND MY 95 C2500 6.5L Chevy WITH PURE USED ATF it then goes through another 2 micron filter. Been doing it for sometime now... Never been tank diped... But runs great. Although I can't say I run it straight in the winter. Smokes to much and to hard starting.. :grin:

rwbrown72

A guy asked a question on another forum about Hybrids:

What is the tax on electricity when they are running on the batteries? Things that make you go Hmmmmm............

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter

What is the tax on electricity when they are running on the batteries? Things that make you go Hmmmmm............
Rest assured, as alternative fuels become more mainstream they will find a way to tax it :wink:.

I know alot of alternative fuels such as electric and biofuels aren't taxed at the moment on purpose. They are trying to make it a tax incintive to run electric and biofuels.

ironwolf85

Hope I don't offend any1 by saying this but...I think the reason they don't tax hybrids is because hybrids are a joke. You have all the normal parts and maintenance of a gas engine Plus if the electric motor burns up or in 100,000 mi you will have 2 replace the batteries which will cost you 5 grand or more and all that money you saved Not buying gas you now have2 buy batteries. The car won't be worth putting the money into it and you will b forced into buying a new car and they will end up getting there tax money when you buy that new car.

Screamin' Metal

Yea, I run the std. commercial diesel....I just think its kinda crappy that they'd try to fine a person for pouring the old motor oil into they're tank....really helps the fuel milage and the motor runs alot smoother.........

tamangel

Prius Battery packs are $2588 currently...No engine/battery maintenance in 70K..(2005 model) yet..just routine stuff..currently 40-55 mpg depends on trip length.. may be going to bigger bat pack as plug-in hybrid tech gets cheaper..Toyota is looking into re-manufacturing (between recalls I guess :) ) bat packs in the USA which will bring costs down further..

anyway,

Found this read on possible new Military Biofuels including possibilities of Jet fuel from Algae..

http://www.darpa.mil/Docs/biofuels_Apr09_200904081556342.pdf

Mike

"Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future. Common sense is knowing that you should try not to be an idiot now."
- J. Jacques

Last edited:

greenjeepster

I don't believe any hybrids run on electricity alone. We have the Civic and my in laws have the Altima and neither of those run on electricity alone. The electric motor is part of the gasoline engine, it is only used to speed up the gas engine on acceleration. My understanding of the Prius is that it is basically the same, except that it will move very slowly on electric only before the gas engine kicks back in.

We get taxed on fuel just like everybody else... No fuel, no electricity. We are not substituting part of our fuel with anything that isn't taxed. We are just converting one taxed energy into a more efficient energy.

What will be interesting is how hydrogen gets taxed. The Honda Clarity was supposed to be released in California this year so maybe we will soon know.

We have 80 K on our original batteries. I have seen fleet cars with 170 K on the original battery pack, that is why we bought the civic. Also the civic will operate on gas only when the batteries do go out. It gets 42 mpgs around town and about 40 on the highway. As far as being a joke. I have taken it up through West Virgina and that electric assist rockets that car up over the hills. Doesn't even slow down with cruise set; she will do 80 all the way.

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have the website for the Federal License? I can't seem to dig deep enough on Google.

I found the one for SC, and am going to apply. They want .16 a gallon, with a usage report and fees paid via EFT on the 22nd of each month for the prior month.

I'm going to get one as I mix and blend quite a lot with both my deuce and pickup. Better to have it then not.

Yohan

My first new car was a Saturn coup. It got 46 MPG on the highway and all I did was put gas in it. I should have kept it.

datsunaholic

Well, if they built a car as light as they did back in the 70s-mid 80s, you could get 50MPG from a compact car too. Probably more- the 1978 B210 MPG model was running a 2-bbl carb and primitive electronic ignition. And no catalytic converter...

But Americans want power, so a 65-HP 1.4L car with 0-60 times in the high teens/low 20s just doesn't cut it today. Plus we all seem to want our positive cup-holder to seat ratio, and you just can't LIVE without A/C, power windows, remote door locks, power seats with integrated buttwarmers, and enough sound deadening to ensure you can't hear an ambulance that's 5 feet behind you.

Add in the required airbags, compression bumpers, side impact protection, roof pillar reinforcing, you've turned even the most basic Econobox into a 1 1/2-ton behemoth.

Hence, I commute in a 1976 Datsun. Can't park a Deuce in the company parking garage anyway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks