• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finished the M37

67Beast

Re: RE: Re: ambers..

nattieleather said:
What are all the holes on the side of the bed? Was this a commo truck....what was that model....m42?
It must have been a radio truck at somepoint in it's military life. The holes line up with a sugar scope type ant. mount and the older tri-anglular ant. mount. Also the knock-outs in the front of the bed and back of the cab are open and at one point had cables mounted through them. Also there is a pass-through under the seats to the battery box that is open.

67Beast

ida34 said:
Weren't you looking for a radio M37?
I was looking for a radio shelter for it to make it like the one my father had when he was with the 313th ASA, but have decieded to mark it as his from the 226th ASA. They used the M37 to carry trick operators to the top of the mountain to the operations building. He was assistant trick chief and one of his responcabilities was to drive the trick up in the truck.

67Beast

Nope, his had a shelter mounted in it. Here is some pics of it from 62-63. The holes in the side of my bed lool like they would match up with the config in your pic though. Plus at some point the front ant. was changed to a sugar scoop style mount on mine, as it matches the bolt spacing on the one I have.

Attachments

67Beast

Thanks everyone. :D

Here is a pic of the M37 Dad drove while in Korea with the 226th ASA while on the Island of Kang Wha-do. Notice that it lacks the pioneer tool rack, which is why I have left it off the truck I restored. Also note that the truck in the pic is marked for the 277th ASA. This is because when he first arrived they were the 277th but were renamed the 226th while he was there. This means this pic is from early on in his tour there.

Attachments

vtdeucedriver

Hey Dave,
Great truck!!! It came out great. If you want to get a good look at one of those shelters. Fred Ropkey has a very nice restored M37 with one of those on it...................what a slick unit!!!!

Armada

Wow! Congrats Dave on another beautiful restoration! Can't wait to see it in person.
I haven't checked your website lately, but do you have any 'in progress' restoration pictures like you did with your M715?
Your dad must be thrilled with it. Has he drove it yet since it's been done?

67Beast

Thanks Paul, I do have all the pics on my site, just follow the m37 link in my sig. line to get there. I do not have a lot of restoration pics, because this was a down and dirty quick resto job. I figure with the great shape the truck was in to start with I'll have at least 10 more years before it will need the full frame-off resto. And by then my boy should be old enough to want to help out making it a great father/son project.

Tanner

Great looking truck!

But you may have to go to the white headlights sooner than you think - I believe that they are illegal for highway use in these United States... something about upsetting the DMV & NHTSA -

'Tanner'

67Beast

Tanner said:
Great looking truck!

But you may have to go to the white headlights sooner than you think - I believe that they are illegal for highway use in these United States... something about upsetting the DMV & NHTSA -

'Tanner'
Like I stated earlier in the post I don't think I'll have very many problems around here.

CGarbee

Great looking truck, and photos.

My source of paint is RAPCO in Texas. Mark puts cases of paint on pallets and ships to me by truck freight. Total shipping cost by truck to my office is less than the UPS Hazmat charges would be... I'll be placing an order soon in case anyone wants to go in on a group purchase (delivery at Aberdeen...).

gwalker

There arent any r side shots of the truck but it appears to have had 2 antenna's on the left side at least. The command kit was m-42 however all trucks that had radios werent all m-42's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks