• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finished WMO filter 2nd video

I run mine through a water blocker. I took out my hydrolic head with some oil that had to much suspended water. A water separator will let it pass if its emulsifyed but a blocker will not.

Any place that sells tractor supply's Like Willco or the tractor store, also napa can get them. They will actually stop the flow of oil when they get saturated with water so nothing gets past them. I have processed a 100 gal from oil changes done in our shop and have used up two filters. I was surprised by how much water was suspended in used oil. Of coarse all the rain here in Oregon doesn't help.

Goldenrod Spin-on Water Block Filter - 3/4in. Fittings, Model#596-3/4

paulfarber

There are some things you need to do to really make this specific tank setup worth while.

First, I would add ball valves with drains just after the tank on the bottom but before the filters. That way you can drain oil in the lines before you have to remove the filters and avoid spilling oil.

I also would have extended a feed tube up from the bottom a few inches into the tank so you don't get settled crud into the filters... maybe seld a 1/2in 3/4in bung a few inches up and feed out of that and use the bottom for cleaning.

Biggest red flag is that you can open the air with fluid in the funnel. Either add a check valve on the inlet or add a quick connect fitting so you either have air hooked up or the funnel in place.

As it is now it seems that is would be messy to change filters, you would be pushing sludge through the filters instead of letting it settle, and you could open the air valve and spray oil everywhere.

Till those items are corrected I would not use this setup.

Last edited:

paulfarber

Any place that sells tractor supply's Like Willco or the tractor store, also napa can get them. They will actually stop the flow of oil when they get saturated with water so nothing gets past them. I have processed a 100 gal from oil changes done in our shop and have used up two filters. I was surprised by how much water was suspended in used oil. Of coarse all the rain here in Oregon doesn't help.

Goldenrod Spin-on Water Block Filter - 3/4in. Fittings, Model#596-3/4
Is there a link to the specs that show this?

I can find them for sale for $15, but nothing about what happens when they are full/at capacity.

Is there a link to the specs that show this?

I can find them for sale for $15, but nothing about what happens when they are full/at capacity.

Nope. Just experience and they do not have a bypass built into them.

The valve before the filters is a good idea. Everything else is over kill unless you are going to run high volumes of WMO.

paulfarber

Till you blow 2 gallons of oil sky high with compressed air. My garage floor, walls a ceiling and face are worth more than the two nipples and a check valve it would take to fix the problem.

A check valve is a few bucks. And pushing sludge through the filters is just going to cost you a $15 clogged filter(s). Maybe a filter sock at the intake... something to keep the crud out.

You can put in your check valves and stuff and show us how its done.

Most of us can turn of valves. As far as filters go it take a lot of used oil to plug a filter unless its coming from a dirty source. Remember it has been running through a filter until its drained from the crankcase.

What you are missing is he came up with a very simple well made low cost design. Why make it more complex than it needs be.

Jtspendy

have you considered

instead of using air power using a SBC oil pump with a 24 volt motor? you could still power it off your vehicle but would also be able to pump directly into the large tank from your source to pre filter what you were collecting which could be useful in a bugout situation.

jimh1985

I like all of the comments and I make this design to suit me I am careful not to make a mess when using my set-up
. I want to make one out of a 100 pound tank to mount in my truck bed for on the go filtering.

plym49

Can house filters withstand oil without the filter material breaking down?

I agree that adding valves, tees and so on is not a big deal in terms of labor or materials, but adds a great deal of versatility and utility.

Jtspendy

First I want to thank jimh1985 for Posting the video and getting all these great ideas posted, I am going to build one if I can find those oil adapters, does anyone know a good site and part number for them?

oddshot

1) Can house filters withstand oil without the filter material breaking down?

2) I agree that adding valves, tees and so on is not a big deal in terms of labor or materials, but adds a great deal of versatility and utility.

1) re: House Filters. I have one in my set up and have to say that I don't much like it ... but I am running a LOT of pressure ... and VERY dirty oil. Also, I have yet to find a local source for o-rings that will stand up to oil ... or a mail order (internet) that will deal in two or three pieces.

If I were to continue using the house filter in the gang ... I would follow Paul Farber's advice ... and pre-filter the the big bits out first ... using sock filters and gravity.

Also ... thinning the WMO BEFORE filtering to a usable viscosity helps a LOT if you are using house filters.

2) BALL VALVES EVERYWHERE!!! They make for a faster, cleaner job.

oddshot