• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fire Truck

Happyland1410

VFF19

Definitely a small world! I was out on the Allen fire. We have sure had some big fires lately.

One of the Allen guys is on here too (AllenEM).
Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite - View Profile: AllenEM
Yes we had alot of very larger fires. And though they may be slowed down for a few days, I have a feeling they will.be back. And I didn't know jb was into mv. I was shocked to see so many ff and people from oklahoma, but someone I actualy fight fire with is even crazier. Im sure ill be seeing you all again soon. Stay safe

feldmarshal

Good job on the truck. Our dept. was pretty poor in the 90's, funded by the county. Now we get funding from the insurance fund , doubled our budget , replaced three tankers, 2 1500gal ,1 3k gal {ours] 3 rescues- used. commissioners are hard to deal with. good luck.

VFF19

Good job on the truck. Our dept. was pretty poor in the 90's, funded by the county. Now we get funding from the insurance fund , doubled our budget , replaced three tankers, 2 1500gal ,1 3k gal {ours] 3 rescues- used. commissioners are hard to deal with. good luck.
Thank you, yes sadly enough politics play a lot in the fire service. We do pretty well for us for what we have.

VFF19

Before anyone says anything about NFPA or anything to that matter, Its already been discussed. Had a Fire today and thought Id show off the Deuce. I hate the color, But I'm not taking the time to paint a perfectly fine ugly truck. I love how reliable these trucks are, they have done wonders for our dept. This is Tanker 2:driver:

Edit: got to looking at this, you think this frames stretched? Ive never noticed until now

Attachments

Last edited:

kfdk14

That'll work. I always like how different depts name trucks everything we have that is grass/brush related we call squads I tried to get the 923 called just truck 6 instead of squad 6 since it doesn't fit into 1 category. We try to keep everything red but we bought an engine from penn. and it's greenish yellow but the paint was so good we just left it.

Attachments

VFF19

That'll work. I always like how different depts name trucks everything we have that is grass/brush related we call squads I tried to get the 923 called just truck 6 instead of squad 6 since it doesn't fit into 1 category. We try to keep everything red but we bought an engine from penn. and it's greenish yellow but the paint was so good we just left it.
Like I said, no point in painting something that doesn't need to be painted. If I had the choice, all our trucks would be Chicago colors.:mrgreen: I love those black and reds

kfdk14

Yeah I like the black and red too. The green truck is a 91 and only has 20000 miles on it so its still new and we also have a 2010 freightliner engine so it doesn't get used a whole lot now.

kfdk14

I hear that its been a busy year for us too we spent last week fixing trucks from the last round of fires. we have a 5 ton that was pretty much totaled body wise during the spring fires (I won't post pics because i would get yelled at on here). Only problem is that surplus is not getting any older dueces and 5 tons anymore and the newer stuff isn't as tough the 923 is a good truck but won't push trees like the old 813 that it replaced.

Attachments

Happyland1410

Just got back from another big fire. Many departments from 2 counties came to help us. Thankfully we were able to save several houses. I heard that one sustained some damage. We also had some big help from the man upstairs when a small storm moved through and it flipped the wind direction which had been pushing the fire toward a road where we were trying to make a stand and then it dumped some rain on us. I can assure you God received more than a few thank you's from some very hot firefighters and grateful local residents.

Here are a few pics including a 5 ton brush truck. I failed to get a picture of the new A3 deuce from an adjoining fire department driven by another SS member.

Attachments

Last edited:

VFF19

The red one with super singles? Yea that was a good one. Im glad we got to help. To bad some houses were damaged but that fire moved fast. We put the northwest corner out 1000 times because it just would stay out. Is that fitztowns deuce? We headed over to bing and the rain just dumped on us. Plus the shanook helped too. Unfortunately I guess well find out what tomorrow has in store for us

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you, yes sadly enough politics play a lot in the fire service. We do pretty well for us for what we have.
You gotta edjamacate 'em. Next time you do some training fires invite them to participate. There are some programs out there to do that, you can probably do a search on how others do it. I think our county Vocational school that has a fire service program does this. If you put this on yourselves, make sure you do it to NFPA standards, and don't take any risks. You don't want this to backfire on you by putting them into a situation that's too much for them to handle. But it may help them to understand your needs better. You will also have to make sure you DOCUMENT everything, and show solid justification. There's a certain amount of schmoozing you'll have to do, but if you back it up with solid facts, you can gain a lot of backing by the trustees and the citizens to get some better funding.

Happyland1410

Thanks VFF19 and AllenEM for the help on yesterday's fire.

Unfortunately they didn't capture video of any of the MV based fire trucks, but here is the raw footage of the fire yesterday taken by our local newspaper.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qni8xEol2pg[/media]
This video is from the mobile home fire that some of the units on our fire had to go to. You will see the Chinook helicopter that was on the way to our fire for water drops that was diverted to this structure fire.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTkYNZJqIoI[/media]

Cleptomaniac

Thanks for all you guys do!![thumbzup]
The truck looks great!! :grd:
And I wouldnt get all worked up about the doomsdayers on here the good out weighs the bad! :smile:

VFF19

Thanks VFF19 and AllenEM for the help on yesterday's fire.

Unfortunately they didn't capture video of any of the MV based fire trucks, but here is the raw footage of the fire yesterday taken by our local newspaper.
You very welcome, any time, any day. were here to help. Im glad we've been deploying the task force into our own county, that has been working wonders for everyone these last few weeks.

ratat98

Whats with all the NFPA BS? I assist with several volunteer fire departments in my area and we love seeing the old MV's in action. They will drive circles around any non MV vehicle, and they will keep the firemen just as safe, if not safer than any NFPA approved stuff.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whats with all the NFPA BS? I assist with several volunteer fire departments in my area and we love seeing the old MV's in action. They will drive circles around any non MV vehicle, and they will keep the firemen just as safe, if not safer than any NFPA approved stuff.
What's with all the NFPA BS? Gee I dunno, maybe all the NIOSH LODD (Line Of Duty Death) reports about firefighters getting KILLED in surplus MV's.

Yes, as cool as they look and as fun as they are to drive, THEY ABSOLUTELY CAN AND WILL KILL YOU IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THEIR LIMITATIONS ARE!!

People think that because they are built for the military, they are indestructable. That is absolutely untrue. Furthermore, they are generally not padded at all and the trucks don't have ROPS protection. They are often overloaded, and coupled with barely adequate brakes, they are often beyond the driving skills of the often novice drivers behind the wheels.

You are obviously a young firefighter to think that these trucks are safer than a purpose built firetruck. Have you ever had an emergency vehicle operators' course? We do one every year. We demand that everyone that drives a truck have an extensive knowlege of that truck and time behind the wheel before they are ever allowed to drive it on an emergency run.

While MV's can be useful and do a good job for FD's that can't afford new equipment, they REQUIRE extra training and diligence for the operator. You would be wise to start looiking up some of the NIOSH reports for LODD's concerning these trucks, as well as other ways you can get killed doing this job. I've been doing it since '83, and I can tell you I still haven't learned everything yet. The day you stop learning is the day you need to quit.

ratat98

What's with all the NFPA BS? Gee I dunno, maybe all the NIOSH LODD (Line Of Duty Death) reports about firefighters getting KILLED in surplus MV's.

Yes, as cool as they look and as fun as they are to drive, THEY ABSOLUTELY CAN AND WILL KILL YOU IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THEIR LIMITATIONS ARE!!

People think that because they are built for the military, they are indestructable. That is absolutely untrue. Furthermore, they are generally not padded at all and the trucks don't have ROPS protection. They are often overloaded, and coupled with barely adequate brakes, they are often beyond the driving skills of the often novice drivers behind the wheels.

You are obviously a young firefighter to think that these trucks are safer than a purpose built firetruck. Have you ever had an emergency vehicle operators' course? We do one every year. We demand that everyone that drives a truck have an extensive knowlege of that truck and time behind the wheel before they are ever allowed to drive it on an emergency run.

While MV's can be useful and do a good job for FD's that can't afford new equipment, they REQUIRE extra training and diligence for the operator. You would be wise to start looiking up some of the NIOSH reports for LODD's concerning these trucks, as well as other ways you can get killed doing this job. I've been doing it since '83, and I can tell you I still haven't learned everything yet. The day you stop learning is the day you need to quit.
I wasn't trying to start a fight here. Like its been said before, you don't know me, and I don't know you. I just know what I've seen, and I do know that MV's are more dangerous than purpose built trucks. That's why our depts go through extra training with the military for them to drive them right. Now lets stop with the fighting and get back to the MV talk. :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks