• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

first 5 ton

bbf

i am picking up my first 5 ton in the next few weeks and my question is the 250 cummins how many miles can this motor go before a rebuild is needed . this one has 48000 miles on it

poppop

I can only give you an opinion which is on diesels in general. Most over the road trucks get several hundred thousand miles before needing to be overhauled. I expect at least 6000 hours out of my farm tractors and that would be 300000 miles at 50 miles per hour. If they are maintained and not overly abused they will last a long time. My M813 had about the same milage as yours and in my opinion it is just broken in good.

rizzo

Re: RE: first 5 ton

poppop said:
I can only give you an opinion which is on diesels in general. Most over the road trucks get several hundred thousand miles before needing to be overhauled. I expect at least 6000 hours out of my farm tractors and that would be 300000 miles at 50 miles per hour. If they are maintained and not overly abused they will last a long time. My M813 had about the same milage as yours and in my opinion it is just broken in good.
I agree

most over the road trucks that I deal with get 750k -1000k out of the motor.

unless there is a problem with the motor, rebuild is not necessary.

BEASTMASTER

RE: Re: RE: first 5 ton

most big diesels will get 300,000 miles no problem. the most important thing you can do is not lug the engine. especially, a cummins, they wil come apart. hence the nickname ( cumapart). if you change the oil and filters religously, that motor will be running fine if and when you decide to sell it . :driver:

joec

bbf said:
i am picking up my first 5 ton in the next few weeks and my question is the 250 cummins how many miles can this motor go before a rebuild is needed . this one has 48000 miles on it

It's not even broke in yet!!!