• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First Post & Bob starts this weekend! Lots of ???

Awesome Possum

I hope you chocked those front wheels, I know its been sitting there for a few months, but chit happens. Last thing you want is that truck to start rolling forward with you under it. Otherwise it looks like its going good.
They're all chocked, the front axle is engaged, and the parking brake is on. Not counting on that brake too much though. That very heavy pipe rack it's sitting on is sunk in as well. Once the axle goes under the frame this week end, another pipe rack will go under the rear of the frame as well. I do thank you for your concern.

Goose2448

I mentioned it because I have seen it happen. Now I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that having that front axle engaged would be a bad thing. Either its not going to do anything, if its in Neutral, or its going to start the truck, if you left it in gear. Say you get an earthquake, who knows these days, and it starts rolling off the support. With it rolling, the truck starts, and insights mayhem throughout the town. But hey, you have it chocked, so that's not going to happen! :beer: Can't wait to see this project done.

badga the badger

while awesome possum is recuperating.....

ok. we got a lot done recently. we got the springs and axle mounted, brakes almost complete and most significantly, partof the frame cut off. we have however screwed up a little bit with the mesurements, but the only effect the error will cause is that the tailgate wont fully drop, but its not a big deal.

possum is quite proud of his work, but it all came at a cost. i doubt either of us will be eager to work on it for a few days. but the harbor freight crane has been a lifesaver.

Attachments

Last edited:

Awesome Possum

Bob comes home

I've taken it out four times now and so far nothing's fallen off, so a great victory there. Finally got to take it home from my friend's place, and drove it about 50 miles to pick up Badga at school on the last day before Thanksgiving. Drives GREAT! Much is left to do, but to have it running after six months is one heckuva' good feeling. Thanks y'all for helping this happen!

Attachments

I would use stringers like they did on the original Deuce bed. I used 4 inch stringers and bolted them to the bed. I then bolted the rear of the stringers to the frame and used the Deuce spring loaded mounts to mount the front of the stringers to the frame. You'd be surprised how much that frame will twist right behind the cab when off roading. It's a lot more than that trailer bed will want too.

Awesome Possum

I would use stringers like they did on the original Deuce bed. I used 4 inch stringers and bolted them to the bed. I then bolted the rear of the stringers to the frame and used the Deuce spring loaded mounts to mount the front of the stringers to the frame. You'd be surprised how much that frame will twist right behind the cab when off roading. It's a lot more than that trailer bed will want too.
The bed will go on sometime this month, as weather and time allow. I kind of like your idea (if I understand correctly). Would this involve bolting channel or square tubing to the underside if the bed lengthwise and then using the old mounts? Seem to me that this would work well and allow flex, and me not having to weld anything. Not so good at welding heavy stuff, and I haven't welded anything in several years. You got any pics?

badga the badger

well its coming around to being a year since we started this endevor, but not done yet. i do have a question for those who have done this before: how did you get the 105 bed off the trailer and on to the truck? we have a few ideas on how to do it, but i would like the opinion of someone whos done it.

Last edited:

Awesome Possum

well its coming around to being a year since we started this endevor, but not done yet. i do have a question for those who have done this before: how did you get the 105 bed off the trailer and on to the truck? we have a few ideas on how to do it, but i would like the opinion of someone whos done it.
Son, shouldn't you be paying attention to what's going on in your class?
Sincerely,
Your Dad

badga the badger

we are DONE!...almost. we got the bed on today and we are tired. now all we got to do is bolt it on and make it to the local airshow next weekend. pics! im rushed right now so ill follow up later.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks