• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First post M1151A1

taskunitbruiser

I have been checking out some helpful posts on the forums and decided to join. I purchased a M1151A1 from GovPlanet and picked it up last month. I have been working on it, little by little, ever since. It was full of bolts and shell casings when I got it. Found a 40mm grenade base. Got the turret cover off, ground rust off and painted it.

I attached some pics, from pickup day, to the custom license plate holder I made, to the most current picture where I painted around where the frag doors were removed to desert sand.

6.5L turbo, 4 speed with overdrive, A/C, air lift bumper came with it.

A/C blows cold in the back, but only heat on the dash. Thinking it must be the heater control valve?

I want it as military looking as can stay, but want to make it street legal. The wipers were missing, so I got them on after a ton of trouble removing the spacers from the ballistic windshield. I also had to buy side mirrors and arms. Already changed oil and replaced Fram oil filter with AC Delco. Looking at getting an AC Delco fuel filter soon. I put Howes diesel treat in the tank as soon as got it back home. Charged up the batteries after buying a 24V charger.

Gauges and everything appears to work. Still waiting on Florida off-road title in the mail. In Alabama. Got Hagerty lined up for insurance since the main carriers were clueless. Probably will go the Dirt Legal Montana plate route? Business expense would be nice.

Attachments

taskunitbruiser

Welcome to the forum!!
Thank you! I should mention that GovPlanet had called me after paying and asked what year I wanted on the title. I told them 2007; since I guessed around that time for 6.5L turbo and when things were nice prior to the recession! When I got the vehicle home I saw a manufacture date on the generator/alternator of 2009. It looks original to the vehicle. Something like ~11,300 miles on it. Who knows what year?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you! I should mention that GovPlanet had called me after paying and asked what year I wanted on the title. I told them 2007; since I guessed around that time for 6.5L turbo and when things were nice prior to the recession! When I got the vehicle home I saw a manufacture date on the generator/alternator of 2009. It looks original to the vehicle. Something like ~11,300 miles on it. Who knows what year?
What is the serial number?

taskunitbruiser

What is the serial number?
258512 was listed on the auction and on the lower B pillar; also this manufacture data plate I am attaching. There is a different number stamped into the outside dash in the from of the driver windshield. I am curious what, presumably 17 character, VIN will be on the made up on the FL title.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
258512 was listed on the auction and on the lower B pillar; also this manufacture data plate I am attaching. There is a different number stamped into the outside dash in the from of the driver windshield. I am curious what, presumably 17 character, VIN will be on the made up on the FL title.
You are probably pretty close with 2007, that year started with 256K according to the serial number sticky on this forum.

taskunitbruiser

You are probably pretty close with 2007, that year started with 256K according to the serial number sticky on this forum.
Great! I will have to check out the sticky post. I know this particular grill design where the lights dont move up with the hood are the current ones and on AM General's website. Any idea what year that design switch was made?

I have not decided if I want soft doors or just leave them off. Definitely not using this for long trips with my family. I did just put in two car seats!

This forum and other places online steered me clear of a keyed ignition. I just got combo pad lock on the wheel right now. Should I try battery or fuel shutoff? Is it worth the effort? Seems like police could find this thing easy if stolen unless taken to a chop shop? Put an Apple AirTag in it? Ha.

Zero desire to put aftermarket rims or extra electronics. I will keep the pintle hitch. I got a Duramax 2500HD for towing stuff and do not feel like dealing with the 24V trailer light conversion. I fixed the hole where the antenna was removed by welding a steel plate underneath it, since the coupling was steel and not aluminum.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why did they list that truck as off-road use only?I did not think that applied to the newest USMC trucks.

taskunitbruiser

Your state is listed as Alabama. Why bother with Dirt Legal? AL doesnt have any problems titling a HMMWV with an SF97 and signed/notarized Bill of Sale.
Do you have personal experience? I have heard Alabama does not like them. As I found, although I paid Gov Planet for an SF97 they use it to file for the Florida title so I never get a copy; I called in about that recently. I am sure I could contact Gov Planet and get them to send a Bill of Sale, but currently I do not have that document either; just awaiting the Florida title in the mail.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have personal experience? I have heard Alabama does not like them. As I found, although I paid Gov Planet for an SF97 they use it to file for the Florida title so I never get a copy; I called in about that recently. I am sure I could contact Gov Planet and get them to send a Bill of Sale, but currently I do not have that document either; just awaiting the Florida title in the mail.
I am just curious why did you not just buy the SF97?

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can still call GP and buy an SF97. I did that one a trailer I bought. About 6 months after picking it up, I realized the SF 97 would be helpful and relieve a lot of potential headaches (California DMV). Simple phone call and payment over the phone. Took about 6 weeks, but I got it.

Autonomy_Lost

For the front AC, its probably the heater core valve as you suspect. You can temporarily install a 1/2" pex ball valve to troubleshoot.

If that fixes it, you can either replace the automatic valve with a new one (expensive) or do what I did and install a cable actuated valve from an m998.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I am assuming it is off road only, but you think Gov Planet would send an on road clean Florida title?
Go back and check the listing. It should say something about the title being for an off-road use only vehicle if it is. I am guessing it is not so stipulated.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go back and check the listing. It should say something about the title being for an off-road use only vehicle if it is. I am guessing it is not so stipulated.
IIRC what is listed is the status of the SF97, the auctions say nothing about a title, also IIRC FL issues off road titles for the HMMWV now, I don't think the status of the SF97 makes any difference.

***Buyer will need to complete and submit a Hold Harmless Agreement before scheduling pickup. No further demilitarization is required. The HMMWV is available for pick up as shown. The Humvee sells with a clean SF97 if purchased during checkout. Please see DLA supplied Tire Safety Warning document below.***

Last edited: