• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First post M1151A1

taskunitbruiser

IIRC what is listed is the status of the SF97, the auctions say nothing about a title, also IIRC FL issues off road titles for the HMMWV now, I don't think the status of the SF97 makes any difference.

***Buyer will need to complete and submit a Hold Harmless Agreement before scheduling pickup. No further demilitarization is required. The HMMWV is available for pick up as shown. The Humvee sells with a clean SF97 if purchased during checkout. Please see DLA supplied Tire Safety Warning document below.***
Ah, so the SF97 may not specify off road, but paying extra for the Florida title will say off road only? To get the Florida title you must first buy the SF97 and they send it off to get the title. I paid for both. I was told on the phone they already completed and sent the SF97 off and then told some 30-90 business day BS for title to come. Do you think I can buy another SF97 from them? I misunderstood and thought I would be getting both since I paid for both; I did not know the SF97 would be sent and never get a copy. They told me once I purchased both with the title option I could not downgrade to SF97 only.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, so the SF97 may not specify off road, but paying extra for the Florida title will say off road only? To get the Florida title you must first buy the SF97 and they send it off to get the title. I paid for both. I was told on the phone they already completed and sent the SF97 off and then told some 30-90 business day BS for title to come. Do you think I can buy another SF97 from them? I misunderstood and thought I would be getting both since I paid for both; I did not know the SF97 would be sent and never get a copy. They told me once I purchased both with the title option I could not downgrade to SF97 only.
What did they tell you? I am sure you asked them what kind of title they were going to get issued to you...
I seriously doubt you can get another SF97 as they have submitted it to the state of Florida.

taskunitbruiser

What did they tell you???
I seriously doubt you can get another SF97 as they have submitted it to the state of Florida.
I did not specifically ask if I could get another one, and I would think not. I called in about the status and was informed my SF97 was sent to Florida, I could not get a copy since it was sent and required for the titling, FL title was considered an upgrade and not allowed to downgrade, and the extra wait period for Florida now.

I am assuming (i.e. not confirmed) doing some online reading it will be off road only from Florida and honestly feel a little deceived since I thought I was paying extra for on road that I could then switch to my home state very easily.

If it does show up off road from Florida and I am sure I could switch to home state (AL) off road easy, but then to get on road could I present an affidavit attesting to it having all necessary features (e.g. wipers, license plate light, etc) for on road use and get a clean title? I do not know. A guy in Ohio did this on YouTube. I have been curious since the beginning about what VIN will be listed on the title, since FL should required 17 characters and mine is 6 digits only. I thought that would side step the VIN assignment process, but now I am just tired of waiting on this title and regretting paying for it (unless I get surprised with it being on road).

It has been a bummer experience. I feel I pay enough in taxes; am willing to pay for insurance, tags, on road diesel taxes, etc to operate legally; and thought I was doing the federal taxpayer a solid by buying a surplus vehicle. Is the goal to keep them off road only so the value is less, so the tax payer recoups less salvage value? I have read things online about state attorney generals saying that HMMWVs haven't been crashed tested and unsafe so dont want them on the road, yet H1s are ok? Wait, there does not need to be any formal crash testing to realize a HMMWV is safer than ANY motorcycle on the road. Just more dick lawyers.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not specifically ask if I could get another one, and I would think not. I called in about the status and was informed my SF97 was sent to Florida, I could not get a copy since it was sent and required for the titling, FL title was considered an upgrade and not allowed to downgrade, and the extra wait period for Florida now.

I am assuming (i.e. not confirmed) doing some online reading it will be off road only from Florida and honestly feel a little deceived since I thought I was paying extra for on road that I could then switch to my home state very easily.

If it does show up off road from Florida and I am sure I could switch to home state (AL) off road easy, but then to get on road could I present an affidavit attesting to it having all necessary features (e.g. wipers, license plate light, etc) for on road use and get a clean title? I do not know. A guy in Ohio did this on YouTube. I have been curious since the beginning about what VIN will be listed on the title, since FL should required 17 characters and mine is 6 digits only. I thought that would side step the VIN assignment process, but now I am just tired of waiting on this title and regretting paying for it (unless I get surprised with it being on road).
Most states just use the serial number, there are millions of vehicles that do not have a 17 digit VIN, some states issue a 17 digit vin from what I hear, not in Tx though.
I hope all works out for you, you said you heard AL was tough to get a title so I am really surprised you did not inquire about what type of title you were going to get.
Again I hope it all works out for you(y)

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SF 97 does not specify off road or on road (at least the ones I have received). in order to obtain a FL title the SF97 must be submitted and i doubt they will send a new one to you. Hopefully it does work for you but it is better to get the SF97 from them and go on the adventure of registering tourself or theough an experienced firm/individual.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SF 97 does not specify off road or on road (at least the ones I have received). in order to obtain a FL title the SF97 must be submitted and i doubt they will send a new one to you. Hopefully it does work for you but it is better to get the SF97 from them and go on the adventure of registering tourself or theough an experienced firm/individual.
They used to be stamped "off road use only" (paraphrasing) all I have seen sold lately have a "clear" SF-97, as you said it is not stipulated on a clear SF-97
My 1993 M998 I bought about 4 years ago had an off road SF-97, but in TX there is an exemption for any HMMWV with an off road SF-97 and a GVWR of 10K or less, any clear SF-97 no issue with any GVWR.

taskunitbruiser

Wanted to give everyone an update. In short: success!

The FL title arrived for on road use via FedEx. Relief for sure. I successfully obtained insurance through American Collectors after Hagerty later said it must be 20+ years old to qualify. American Collectors was cheaper, so it worked out well. I went down to the courthouse with a folder of documents but the full insurance coverage docs (i.e. not just the cards), the title, and the GovPlanet invoice showing purchase price and Georgia state and county taxes paid were what got it done. The title was blank for purchase price. They told me on the phone they would need to do an inspection, but they never did an inspection. Some girl at the window next to me did have to do an inspection, maybe the difference was she had a South Carolina driver's license and mine was Alabama?

So I left with a temp tag (customized plate) and an Alabama application for title since they kept the Florida one.