• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First recovery from Ft. Leonard Wood, made it home

capnkirk

Ok so I'm going to attempt my first recovery of my new (to me) M923A2. I was considering having it hauled but I think I'm going to try the drive. I've been reading threads on here like crazy. Anyone have any pointers for me? Planning to bring tools, fluids, new fuel filter, diesel treatment, safety equipment, and a Bible to read in case I end up stuck on the side of the road. I also think I'm going to bring along some new batteries. group 31 seems to be the preferred replacement. Did I leave anything out?

capnkirk

Hopefully the credit card stays in wallet but I wouldn't bet on it. I'm hoping this goes well. Also got gladhand and a change of underwear.

Scott88M

I'm no expert, and I haven't won a truck yet but I think the rule is on actual military bases you have to get a vehicle towed off base by an approved tow company. Hopefully someone who knows will come in.

capnkirk

As far as the base goes, they're cool with drive away. The only hang up will be the truck! I hope I can be one of those good recovery stories instead of the author if a thread on "how not to recover a 5 ton truck."

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is by base to base if you can drive it off. You can check the listing and it should say.

Good luck with your recovery!!! Be safe!!!

auctionaddict

Good luck !! Just did my first yesterday, Same truck !!
I checked the fluids, Only needed half gallon of anti freeze, Jumped her off and away I went !!
Made it with no problems, I watched them gauges like a hawk !
Got 10mpg and run 65 all the way (350 miles)
Take some window cleaner and a razor to clean the windows.
I took a load of tools and extra batteries but didn't need them.

Aerialfred

Chase vehicle, cell phone, credit card with very high limit, contact numbers of fellow members on your route back, proof of insurance and print out of TM (not the whole thing, just troubleshooting tips).
Chase vehicle?? Don't you mean a " go get parts AND more tools " vehicle? Not to mention more help?!! LOL! Seriously though good luck in your recovery. When I got my deuce from a private seller we drove it back and it did great.

Triple C

Make an air hose that fits on the gladhand so you can adjust your air pressure (if your truck doesn't have CTIS.) Make sure your air pressure is correct and watch your speed. If you have the super singles they are rated at 55. I drove mine home from Riley (at 65 like the poster above) and blew a steer tire in the middle of KC! You are probably going the south route but if you come through KC area and need help, let me know. Good luck and have fun.

capnkirk

I think I'll drive south of FLW on the highway until I get comfy with it. I'm going to try to stay off I-44 as much as I can at least until I feel good about the truck. Tires are 1 1/2 lug wrench right?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Tires are 1 1/2 lug wrench right?
The super single tire and rim weighs about 500 pounds and you have to know how to disassemble the CTIS to get the tire off.

Many of the parts are made of pot metal and will break in a heartbeat if that heavy assembly hits them wrong.

If you have a catastrophic tire failure, very common if the tires have sat flat, you would be better off to call a service truck and tell them what you have.

I have changed them in the yard (when swapping out an axle) but I have a one inch impact wrench and a tractor to move the tires around with.

If the Basis Issue Items (BII) are not with the truck getting the spare off the holder will be an interesting exercise. If you don't have the chain fall and related equipment to use the tire davit you will have to let gravity do the work and stopping a 500 pound tire after the four foot drop off the holder is the stuff "America's Funniest Videos" are made of.

Again the TM should have the instructions on how to change a tire. Print it out and have it with you.

capnkirk

Tires are mostly full. There's one on a non steer axle that looks like it could use a topping off but none appear to have been sitting flat. (Operative word "appear".)

gerrykan

Old Route 66 will be your best way to travel.
It is broken up into lettered State roads now, but shadows I-44.
Not much traffic, better scenery, and not being far from 44 will make it easier to find you (should trouble strike).

MtnSnow

So if the truck has CTIS (A2), I can still air up the tires manually with a gladhand and standard air chuck right?
Yes....I suggest getting an air chuck that has a small a foot or is just straight as it can be a tight fit to get into/onto the manual fills due to the coverplates

capnkirk

Stuck on side of road m923a2 fuel problems

**** Recover started - Fuel issues causing truck to not run ****

What are the plastic lines on top of fuel tank? Do they pressurize tank? Trying to search and read but it's hard on a phone at night.

Last edited by a moderator: