• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First recovery from Ft. Leonard Wood, made it home

capnkirk

Will post more tomorrow. Headed home for the night. Will try again at first light. Think problem is fixed. Bypassed fuel pickup. Drilled hole through strainer. Seems to run well now. Going to wait until light tomorrow to drive home.
Thanks everyone. You guys rock. Special thanks to Buffalo runner. He stopped and helped. I can't wait to get this home. I've learned more about fuel systems in the last 8 hours than the last 8 years.

capnkirk

FYI fuel full to brim. Added howes chgd filters. Showed up Thursday morning with an entire pickup full of tools-wrenches, impact wrench (electric and air), saws, hammer (and BFH), drill, fire extinguisher, new batteries, filters, belt, oil, coolant, gear oil, diesel, cell phone, radios, friend to drive chase (parts run) truck, and credit card.
First problem was the fuel return line from the injectors to the banjo bolt was sheared off where it entered the banjo bolt. (Trip to NAPA) Found close enough banjo with hose barb. Some fuel line and hose clamps and we were in business. A hit of ether and it rumbled to life.
Ran for over an hour while we checked tires and rest of truck. Drove up to office. Idled another 30 minutes.
Drive about a mile and it died. Opened primary filter drain and it sucked air in.
Dumped out housing and filled with diesel and put back on (those are the biggest PITA filters I've ever seen. Finally got it back on and drive truck maybe 1/2 mile and died. Cranked a while and started. Got about 1/4 mile every time it started. Parked, went back to NAPA and got cap for where I broke CTIS fitting on rear pass tire by applying more torque than I'm sure the -10 calls for. Limped a few more 1/2 miles at a time and parked in parking lot. Got hose barbs at lowes for fuel pickup bypass. Drilled hole in strainer that I couldn't get loose and shoved line back in. Refilled filter housing with diesel and primed lines. Cranked and seemed to run fine. At this point, it was 2100 and we both needed sleep and showers. Headed home.
Headed back up this morning to drive back in the daylight.

capnkirk

Home as of 1830. Bypassed tank. Replaced all filters. Ran 55-65 all the way down I-44 after about 10 miles trial run on old 66. Had a tire that kept losing air (slowly). Stopped every 30 minutes to air back up. Bypassed CTIS and installed valve stem. Still leaking where both valve stems bolt into wheel. Easier to air up than change tire. Will fool with CTIS when it's warmer and I have more time.
Other than the tire issue and initial fuel starvation, the truck rocks. Highway manners are pretty good considering it's 22000 lbs of American Steel rolling down the highway on some of the biggest tires taxpayer money can buy.

Will post pics after I sleep for 8 days.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on surviving your successful educational recovery.[thumbzup] You now know your truck better than the majority of new owners.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for sharing! You had some EXCELLENT help via cyber connection. There are people on this site that have forgotten more than I will ever know about these trucks, and usually, they will help a person help themselves! "Expect the unexpected" right? This was a good thread showing how things can go with the available resources! Someone willing to learn, others willing to teach! S.S. Rocks!

God bless,
Tony

capnkirk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392578803.084790.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1392578813.537751.jpg

Picture of truck and my fuel source feeding into primary fuel filter.
Other than a leaky front right tire where the stems screw into the wheel, no other issues. Going to fix the leak and play with CTIS in the weeks to come. Had no problems keeping highway speeds. Surprised how well the truck handles at 60mph. (Not surprised how poorly it handles in parking lots and alleys!) 😃

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks