• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flathead fever..

citizensoldier

It is very cold outside and no work other than plow some snow so why not work on some old Spitfire 265's, 251's and 230's... :-D Took some pictures for you guys to enjoy. Saving what I can from the scrapper and putting a 230 and a 251 together for a couple projects. Also tearing down another 251 and two 265's for future rebuilds.. Enjoy

Attachments

citizensoldier

Well I just set it there for the picture. I wanted to get some photos of the inside of that 251 before I buttoned it up. It was just so perty! Cant wait to fire it up in the Canadian truck! I will post pictures as they go.. Just having fun and avoiding cabin fever.
Looking for any info on the ACME transmissions if some gooroo reads this. That is next after the motor is done.

SasquatchSanta

Wow!

The picture of the 251 with the "lid" off is beautiful! :drool:

I've gone on three wild goose chases and bought two engines each time thinking (hoping) they were 265s but each time they turned out to be 251s. I'm still looking for a 265 crank and rods to go into one of my 251s but so far nothing is turning up.

Keep up the good work.

PS: Here is a pic of a Spitfire head --- a work of art from another time.

Attachments

54reo

My 1951 Bucyrus-Erie 22B is a Corps of Engineers machine, powered by a 377 cubic inch flathead six.

It was the smallest in that particular family of engines.

Your engines are looking real good CS!

Attachments

hole

It is amazing what all the flat heads were capable of. I just inherited the mid 40's 2n Ford tractor that was given to him. Darn thing starts to pull the front wheels off the ground if the rear blade gets too much dirt behind it! Those old flatties will run almost forever if you change oil often and keep the valves adjusted. Looks like a fun project, good luck C.S. Keep taking pics!

citizensoldier

Why do you need a ladder to access the freezer?
That is for my cat Murphy.. His sleeping quarters are on top of that and he likes to climb ladders.. :-D

Thanks guys for posting pictures.. I enjoy seeing them. I am putting together more pictures as I put all the goodies back on and install it in the truck.

Zak! you tease me with that PTO! Where is that truck parked I need a closer look at that PTO with some wrenches in my hand..:wink:

I will be cleaning mine up and checking the gear style and measurements. There has to be some old timer out there that knows of a PTO that will work or a gear set I can swap into a US trans.. I am keeping the faith and keep posting about it hoping someone reads it.

Keep the flathead info coming I love it.. They are such a dependable simple motor to work on. I look at this new stuff and just shake my head..

MartinB

Very cool pictures. Keep them coming.

I am working on a replacement engine for my 1967 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon. The original engine was junk and I found a 1942 251 industrial engine from a military Hobart welder.

The cam and distributor will get changed but other than needing a valve job it started right up after sitting for 40 plus years.

citizensoldier

Slowly but surely made some progress yesterday. The wife came out to check and see if I was still alive and snapped some more.

Attachments

citizensoldier

Some more of the engine and some more for fun.. I know some of you are picture hoes..

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks