• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fleet project

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have recently been ask to lead up a project of restoring four M35A2. I will take pictures and provide more details on the trucks.

For or now Starting the project off on the wrong foot. The trucks have set for a period of at least 10-15 years. After conducting level one maintenance on all four trucks which consisted of draining and replacing the fluid, cleaning the fuel tank and fuel system, and replacing the filters. It's been a busy weekend. However the crushing blow was that three of the trucks are getting fluid to the secondary filter but not to the injectors.

Injection pump
After cleaning the fuel lines, I tried a few tricks that have learned over the years. Started with the fuel shut off. I noticed that the was some rust and debri inside the inspection cover. The fuel shut offers ceased on all three trucks. I was able to get the shut off un-ceased, but still no fuel to the injectors. I then attempted to bleed the ip head with bleeder still no fuel. I then check the ip button which was in working order. I conducted a check of the fuel advance and governor cover and found old dirty fuel. I was at my knowledge end.

I had a buddy call a recently retired Sergeant First Class Mcccormick. A veteran of the Florida National Guard for around 40 years. He was a 91B, and is by all means case expert on the ltd 465. His wealth of knowledge was amazing. He advised me of gasket on the drive train and to replace them in half the time. The most amazing part was when he took a a specialty tool for removing the fuel lines from the injection pump out of his pocket. I will take picture and show the tool. Awesome seeing this veteran reunite with the M35s

Unfortunately the three injection pumps will need to be rebuilt or replaced. I have fund a few of them around 900 to 1200 dollars. Does any one have any good surplus or rebuilt IP for a good price?

I will will keep all of you posted and will provide pictures.

tommys2patrick

This should be a really interesting thread. Love to hear more about your project as it develops. Keep the background coming from your "experienced" sources as well. People like that always find the fastest, bestest ways to do things.

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was asked to locate a truck that would assist in the movement of the dueces, so this what I found in a nearby city. The wecker appears to have everything. The guy said he bought it off of Government Liquidation. He advised that was a Marine Corps truck and had lockers. He wants 9,000 for it. It seems to be a pretty good buy.

Attachments

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well this week, I worked on Truck 1. I pulled the head off again and noticed that the button had came off. I had so I had another head thanks to a member. I put the new head on and the truck fuel was coming the injector lines ports. The fuel was also pouring out at the base of the head as well. So I need to get two new O-rings. I also need to find were I can get a IP head rebuild kit.

Attachments

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thabks brother, I haven't heard from you in a while. I hope all is well. I was going to try and locate a rebuild kit, so I could rebuild them from truck to truck. Since there is so many of them not running do to the same issues

Jeepsinker

You can get them directly from Ambac, or I think Gimpyrobb has some maybe. Welldigger has the oring kits for cheap. You don't need to rebuild the heads, just free up the plungers with good penetrating oil, replace the orings, and button retaining clip if need be, then reinstall them and fire them up.

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright this is for the guys in future trying to figure out the IP system. The Injection Pump also known as the IP, has multiple parts that make it work. If you truck is not cranking up, you need to trace your fuel. Make sure your getting fuel at primary filter and then secondary. Check the fuel lines going into the IP. Take off the fuel lines at the top of the IP. If your getting no fuel there, when trying to turn over the truck, then your more than likely dealing with an IP issue. I have attached a pitcure out of TM 9-2910-226-34. That is the TM dealing with IP system. The attached picture is commonly the issue that goes bad. It is the IP head button and retaining clip. This occurs from the truck sitting to long and improper installation.

Attachments

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay guys, I got the 1st truck started; however, the truck is running away at fuel throttle on crank up. It still shut off with the engine stop pull.

I replace the plunger button. and tighten everything down correctly. I am scratching my head on this one. Does anyone have any advice?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
......I had a buddy call a recently retired Sergeant First Class Mcccormick.....40 years.....He was a 91B, and is by all means case expert on the ltd 465. ..............wealth of knowledge .........specialty tool for removing the fuel lines from the injection pump out of his pocket.
WOW...You sure have a good buddy, Him calling the SFC over. I saw the 91B. I was 91B2P but that is no help here. I hope you can get your buddy and the good Sergeant to share what they know here in SS. Everything I know about my truck was learned here in SS.

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, This what I found:

From gimpyrobb:
*That lever should move with no effort. At rest it should be in the 7 O'clock position. If you push it toward the firewall and let go, it should "spring" back to the 7O'clock position. There is no spring that moves it, it is actually the weight of the fuel block moving up and down.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks