• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flexplate Replacement Parts (+ tangential component replacements)

Zeb

Can you distinguish if the actual brakes are pulling from the rear or the front or both? Or does it feel more like a suspension problem? Have you had the brakes exposed to inspect any problems? Are the rear brakes stopping evenly when you hit the brakes real hard, or is one side locking up? Are all of your spring bushings in good shape? Are your U-bolts all tightened down evenly with the proper torque? Are your shocks all working properly?
Spring bushings are my next item on the list to replace, and once I can afford it will replace the sagging front leaf springs too. Think I'm gonna go with custom leaf springs from ORD... just don't have $1000 to drop right now on something that isn't critical. Plan to do a rear brake and shock inspection in the near future.

Zeb

Thank you to everyone who beared with my ignorance through this process and helped with suggestions and advice. I really cannot tell yall how much I appreciate your guidance and patience. Seriously, this site and it's users are incredible. A mechanically-ignorant dumb*** like me could never own/operate/repair a CUCV without a resource like this

cucvrus

I may have missed this in the write up. Do you know there is a centering pin/bolt in the leaf springs to keep them centered and not fanning out and back and forth. Leaf Spring Center Bolt Front - K30 Parts Just tightening the U bolts is not going to make the springs stay together and centered. Actually the U bolts are probably over torqued. That is an issue also. Check it out. If I missed the part where you said you replaced that I humbly retract my advise. But again lift kits and modifications are usually never done correctly and just add to issues further down the road. Good Luck and Be Safe. Hope that helps.

Zeb

I may have missed this in the write up. Do you know there is a centering pin/bolt in the leaf springs to keep them centered and not fanning out and back and forth. View attachment 861104 Just tightening the U bolts is not going to make the springs stay together and centered. Actually the U bolts are probably over torqued. That is an issue also. Check it out. If I missed the part where you said you replaced that I humbly retract my advise. But again lift kits and modifications are usually never done correctly and just add to issues further down the road. Good Luck and Be Safe. Hope that helps.
Thank you for pointing that out! Even though I know there's supposed to be center pin, it didn't even cross my mind to check it... I just assumed that it kept the leaves together, and didn't realize it played a role in maintaining position over the axle.... which now that I'm thinking about it, seems painfully obvious. Truck is at the alignment shop right now, but that's the first thing I'll look at when I pick it up. New leaf springs are sounding better and better....

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spring bushings are my next item on the list to replace, and once I can afford it will replace the sagging front leaf springs too. Think I'm gonna go with custom leaf springs from ORD... just don't have $1000 to drop right now on something that isn't critical. Plan to do a rear brake and shock inspection in the near future.
The front leaf springs have a reverse arc from the factory. They naturally have a sagging appearance.

Zeb

The front leaf springs have a reverse arc from the factory. They naturally have a sagging appearance.
Owner prior to the previous owner put about a 6" lift on this truck. I think the leaf springs are aftermarket. Either way, they are flipped up with the arc of the leaf spring sitting below the bushings. The back sits noticeably higher than the front...which I assume is due to a cheap aftermarket leaf spring sagging under the heavier weight at the front of an M1008. I think I remember reading elsewhere that this is a problem with cheaper lift kits on these heavy trucks.

Also, by the way....... just picked my truck up from getting front end aligned...... leftward braking is back!!! :mad: Not as bad as before, but it's back....

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Owner prior to the previous owner put about a 6" lift on this truck. I think the leaf springs are aftermarket. Either way, they are flipped up with the arc of the leaf spring sitting below the bushings. The back sits noticeably higher than the front...which I assume is due to a cheap aftermarket leaf spring sagging under the heavier weight at the front of an M1008. I think I remember reading elsewhere that this is a problem with cheaper lift kits on these heavy trucks.

Also, by the way....... just picked my truck up from getting front end aligned...... leftward braking is back!!! :mad: Not as bad as before, but it's back....
If it is in the rear brakes, it might be the adjuster for the drum brakes needs adjusting. there is an inspection port on the inside of the rear wheel that you can remove the plastic inspection port and adjust the automatic adjustment lever. I would suggest if this is your problem, you remove the wheel, brake clean all the internal components, place the drum back on, and adjust the brakes by the adjustment screw, just until you get some resistance. Block both sides up, remove the axle, and do both sides. Before you you begin, take the truck out, get it up to 20 - 25 mph hit the breaks hard enough to skid, and see if your brakes leave a skid mark the same on both sides. If they do then this may not be your problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks