• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

flipping hubs, are these all the seals I need?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The quantity listed is wrong, but that looks like all you need. Remember, The front axle doesn't use the first seals listed.

Also, might check with M16ty, he has most of that cheaper than whats listed on your page.

merlot566jka

The quantity listed is wrong, but that looks like all you need. Remember, The front axle doesn't use the first seals listed.

Also, might check with M16ty, he has most of that cheaper than whats listed on your page.

Gimpy, I dont know how you post so fast and its always good advice... i think you must be some sort of robot.

But thanks, I am researching him now

Seth_O

I found that if I put the nuts back on and gave the studs a good whack with a brass/steel hammer they came out. It took some work though.

If I would have had access to a press, I would have used it.

hoop

It only took 4 hits with a 4# hand sledge. I sacrificed a thimble for each side when I flipped mine. Make sure to wear eye protection.

merlot566jka

I've had pretty good luck with the clamp style presses in the past... if not I have a large bottle jack and plenty of metal to make a press if I had to. Thanks for the heads up!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I found that if I put the nuts back on and gave the studs a good whack with a brass/steel hammer they came out. It took some work though.

If I would have had access to a press, I would have used it.

This is what I did too. I did build a quick press to get them back in though. 2x4 press and a bottle jack worked for me.

Coal Cracker

I didn't need the 8-point socket to flip my hubs, a big pair of channel lock pliers will do fine, also to get the lugs out I used two 4 pond hammers, I laid the first one on the lug, then you use the other to hit on that one. I have a press and the hammers we're easier for me.

You shouldnt need a slide hammer to get the rear hubs off, if they are tight use your two hammers with the first positioned facing the truck and outward on the hub and work around the hub, it'll come off with patience.

If the seals werent leaking before flip. odds are if you don't pry on them and clean them they'll be fine.

merlot566jka

well got one done and was about 50% done with the other, when the neighbor came out and told me I was keeping his kids awake! So calling it a night.

Rear most axle was full of gear lube, needs to be repacked. vent is probably clogged, as the cork was in place and the seals look fantastic. Will re-pack after work tomorrow.

dont need the 8pt socket, those things came off by hand and a pipe wrench puts them back on easily.

Bent my clamp press.... so I was beating the studs in and out with a mini sledge. It was working great...very fast too.

Easy job once you get into it, but some heavy lifting was involved.

Not sure if I Like the single look just yet.... But we'll see how it rides and then make judgment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks