• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

flipping hubs, are these all the seals I need?

Coal Cracker

well got one done and was about 50% done with the other, when the neighbor came out and told me I was keeping his kids awake! So calling it a night.

Rear most axle was full of gear lube, needs to be repacked. vent is probably clogged, as the cork was in place and the seals look fantastic. Will re-pack after work tomorrow.

dont need the 8pt socket, those things came off by hand and a pipe wrench puts them back on easily.

Bent my clamp press.... so I was beating the studs in and out with a mini sledge. It was working great...very fast too.

Easy job once you get into it, but some heavy lifting was involved.

Not sure if I Like the single look just yet.... But we'll see how it rides and then make judgment.

You really dont need to throw alot of grease in the bearings,just a repack enough till the gear oil slithers back in to the hub,, dont beat directly on the lugs with the hammer,,you'll batter your threads, i used twho hammers one laid on the stud and i beat on that hammer.

Olywadan

I'm half way through with mine also. I followed the advise of using a bud socket so I wouldn't mess up the threads, worked like a charm. Putting the studs back in I just placed the hub on a tire on the ground, stood on the hub, and dropped a 10 pound sledge onto the studs to pound them back in. Worked pretty well.

Here's what I got so far. I think the hardest part of this project is trying to keep all those pine needles out of things they shouldn't be in.

Attachments

hoop

I am still running 9.00X20's, and I did not like the look. So I put duel's back on, with the hub's still flipped. I like that look a lot better. Gives a lot more foot print and gives me the flexibility to single out for the winter. With just singles, it would tear up the yard, but with duels she floats more.

merlot566jka

I'm half way through with mine also. I followed the advise of using a bud socket so I wouldn't mess up the threads, worked like a charm. Putting the studs back in I just placed the hub on a tire on the ground, stood on the hub, and dropped a 10 pound sledge onto the studs to pound them back in. Worked pretty well.

Here's what I got so far. I think the hardest part of this project is trying to keep all those pine needles out of things they shouldn't be in.

nice!

love the harbor freight jack....same as mine!

merlot566jka

Hubs are flipped! I dont really like the look, but i love the feel of it! Much smoother, turns better too. Have 11.00x20 BF Goodrich Silvertown Intercity tires.

Interesting thing is that the speedo is barely off by 4mph. at 2600 rpm I'm going 62mph verified on GPS.

Total time was 6 hours, mounting all 6 m135 wheels/tires and flipping the hubs. All rear axles were leaking and bearings were covered in gear oil and there wasnt any cork or bearing grease in any of the rear bearings. I re-packed the bearings, rtv on the keyways and installed the seals correctly. All the brake shoes looked brand new. Gear oil looks fresh too (it was 'stringy' like lucas oil)

My back hurts, my shoulders hurt and I am dead tired.

hoop

RTV works but 1/4" cork is not that hard to find. PM me and I will send you some.

emr

the front axle can use all the seals, i think they keep dust water out, if not the grease in, and I have inner and outer seals 12 dollars ea, and the mettle thingys ...,