• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

General Hood

The turn signal has FOUR circuits running though it, one for each of the front turn signals, one for the right rear and one for the left rear, the issue is that times I have all four turn signals, at other times one or both rears are out, the wiring to the rear lights are good, so it is something up front having to do with a RAT dinning out, with another turn signal switch, I can wire from it to where it goes (new wires, old wires dumped). I have tested everything in the turn signal circuits a dozen times, starting at the three lever, since SOMETIMES I get rear power from one or both of the rear outputs, I finally said F it, start with a known good switch and rewire till I have 100% rear turn signal/brake lights, I can rewire a lot faster then keep testing.

Have I mentioned just how much I love this POS and it's wiring.

As a side note, I am starting to rig it for the SEE auger, going to mod the install instructions, instead of loose bucket control lines, I an going to install two lever control deverter vales, this way dirt stays out of the system and does away the chance of loose lines (even if connected like the instructions show)getting caught on something
I have actually considered letting the auto shop class at our local high school mess with my FLU wiring. Only the strong will survive

BigBison

Wow. I took auto shop in HS 30 years ago, but it's been 25 years since they discontinued it in favor of voc-tech. There's still HS auto shop where you live? Our class project was taking a passenger van, and turning it into a crew-cab pickup truck. I dunno about letting highschoolers work on vehicles, though. My buddy let us change the tires on his Triumph Spitfire, lost a wheel driving it home...

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
New SEE owner. West TN.
YOU TRULY HAVE OUR PRAYERS, the one thing that I have learned is that OWNERS of this POS has to be into kinky things because why would anyone OWN one of these POSs unless they were a MASOCHIST.

peakbagger

New SEE owner. West TN.
Welcome to the board. Hopefully you lucked out and got one that had gone through a recent military reconditioning. It will make your life somewhat easier. There are a full set of military manuals specific to the SEE here http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Mog/ don't bother to print them out as you will burn out a printer. It also may be worth taking a quick look at this collection of tech tips I assembled awhile back which are stored in the misc tech manuals of this site http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...om-PS-Magazine-Maintenance-and-Operating-tips

As you will probably figure out, SEEs can have electrical woes. Many seemed to have ended up in Texas as one point in their lives and local rodents appear to like to eat the wiring harness. They seem to like to nest behind the dash and the damage is not obvious unless you start digging. The technical manuals do not have a wiring diagram. One of the members on this site did buy what may be the only set of them and graciously resold them to those who wanted them. If he has any left they would be on Ebay. Once confirmed that they are sold out others have offered to make a scanned version available but I haven't seen one to date. It is not 100% complete, there are some electrical systems that appear to have been added on after it left the factory floor. Hopefully you will not have to go through this but if you do let us know and we can point you in the right direction expect a lot of hours with multimeter and lot of head scratching

The best advice is that whoever sold you the SEE was probably clueless on what actually is and isn't working. Despite the low miles and hours, these have sat for many years and its questionable how good the maintenance was. There are known bugs and we are figuring them out as we go along. The manuals have an extensive section of maintenance and inspections and the best thing you can do is spend the time to go through them in its entirety. There is also a good operation manual that goes through how the systems are supposed to operate, take notes on what doesn't work the way the manual says.

If you think your SEE is going to be a runner out of the box with no need to go through systems you are in for potentially a lot of frustration. They are fundamentally 50 year old german tractors with road gear grafted onto them. The underlying components are pretty bulletproof if maintained but the various systems grafted on top of them are less so.

Last edited:

General Hood

Welcome to the board. Hopefully you lucked out and got one that had gone through a recent military reconditioning. It will make your life somewhat easier. There are a full set of military manuals specific to the SEE here http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Mog/ don't bother to print them out as you will burn out a printer. It also may be worth taking a quick look at this collection of tech tips I assembled awhile back which are stored in the misc tech manuals of this site http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...om-PS-Magazine-Maintenance-and-Operating-tips

As you will probably figure out, SEEs can have electrical woes. Many seemed to have ended up in Texas as one point in their lives and local rodents appear to like to eat the wiring harness. They seem to like to nest behind the dash and the damage is not obvious unless you start digging. The technical manuals do not have a wiring diagram. One of the members on this site did buy what may be the only set of them and graciously resold them to those who wanted them. If he has any left they would be on Ebay. Once confirmed that they are sold out others have offered to make a scanned version available but I haven't seen one to date. It is not 100% complete, there are some electrical systems that appear to have been added on after it left the factory floor. Hopefully you will not have to go through this but if you do let us know and we can point you in the right direction expect a lot of hours with multimeter and lot of head scratching

The best advice is that whoever sold you the SEE was portably clueless on what actually is and isn't working. Despite the low miles and hours, these have sat for many years and its questionable how good the maintenance was. There are known bugs and we are figuring them out as we go along. The manuals have an extensive section of maintenance and inspections and the best thing you can do is spend the time to go through them in its entirety. There is also a good operation manual that goes through how the systems are supposed to operate, take notes on what doesn't work the way the manual says.

If you think your SEE is going to be a runner out of the box with no need to go through systems you are in for potentially a lot of frustration. They are fundamentally 50 year old german tractors with road gear grafted onto them. The underlying components are pretty bulletproof if maintained but the various systems grafted on top of them are less so.
Very good post Peakbagger, well said

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had no idea they were hated so much.. wow. Lol
mames me like it even more :)
That makes two of us. I've found the FLUs to be very useful machines, although with their quirks. But then, if I wanted a regular boring life I'd probably be driving a Prius and watch TV a lot...and be dead because of boredom by now.
Welcome.

Another Ahab

They are fundamentally 50 year old german tractors with road gear grafted onto them. The underlying components are pretty bulletproof if maintained but the various systems grafted on top of them are less so.
That might be the best simple two line summary of the SEE out of the WHOLE lot of the nearly 2,000 posts of this thread.

I'm not myself "See-Sertified" but my bet is that you nailed it right there.

Well done, peakbagger. [thumbzup]:beer:

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, I thought it was a good idea to separate the boys from the men
These days that may be a legal requirement. Especially if one of the boys decided to identify him/itself as a woman. Except if it actually is a woman, in which case she probably can't be refused entry to the the boys' group.
Or something like that - I can't keep up with all the new rules.

Another Ahab

These days that may be a legal requirement. Especially if one of the boys decided to identify him/itself as a woman. Except if it actually is a woman, in which case she probably can't be refused entry to the the boys' group.
Or something like that - I can't keep up with all the new rules.
That might be the point. There are no more rules; no more boundaries:

- You can even own yourself a SEE, even though from a practical standpoint it makes absolutely NO sense!

I think it's sort of like the song. You know, THIS one:

https://youtu.be/iVsD0rltRr8

Last edited:

Migginsbros

Had no idea they were hated so much.. wow. Lol
mames me like it even more :)
A warm welcome from overSEEs.
We get our SEE some years before. We have the great luck that this one was on duty in Germany. No exesive rodants,no desert heat seamed most of its live living in a shelter.
We are very lucky and had lot of fun with this vehicle. We serviced trany, engine, axel diffs and the four small wheeltranys with new oil. The only big thing we just repaired are both rubber boots from the axel tubes. We dont use the open version to keep the originally slightly over pressure feature. If you use 4 WD and diff.lock a light pressure in the drivetrain keeps dust, mud,water out of them.
Wish you lots of fun with your new project. We are curious looking foreward to some pictures of yours.6.LUTreffen 001.jpg

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Ok my question for the day, HOW do you get your hand in where you bleed the clutch slave cylinder, what size wench is used on the bleeder, and is there room for a bleeder hose ???????

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok my question for the day, HOW do you get your hand in where you bleed the clutch slave cylinder, what size wench is used on the bleeder, and is there room for a bleeder hose ???????
Not saying that it'll work on a SEE, but I've had good luck on other vehicles with simply filling the master and then let it sit for a few days. Self bleeding at its finest...if time allows.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks