• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Page 3-166 of the -20 is a schematic of the hazard warning lights system, now this makes all 4 corners and the dash lights flash, now looking at this IMPORTANT find, I saw that the brake lights go though relay H and then then what is called the "HAZARD WARNING SWITCH" now the thought is since the the hazard warning lights aka turn signals are flashing due to the HWS, the the HWS MUST be the turn signal flash control, da. NOW look on page 3-111 of the -20 at the schematic for trouble shooting the right turn signal not working, please tell me WHERE the HWS is, because I am so old that me eyes must have missed it on the VERY busy schematic.

The above just reinforces my very INTENSE feelings about this truck, it is a MAJOR POS and a insult to trucks being called a "truck", I have more names for it but the KGR will not allow it. Now going out to find and lay eyes on the HWS, then from there ???, the quest continues.
Working on the hazard lights, brought me to the "flasher relay", which KNOW WHERE does it say where that thing is, well after moving everything under the hood, still NO FR, in the end I found it, the black thing on the left in the cab, up towards the dash, spent a hour looking for it, why in helll would it be there instead of being with the rest of the electrical hardware, at this point frustration REALLY set in, closed up for the day, if I had not shutdown, there was a good chance "it" might have been burnt to the ground, or just cut EVERY wire I could find and just rewire everything, as it is I have to trace EVERY wire with my test light to make sure that it is good from point a to point b, if not, find out where the rat had dinner and fix it., if the flasher relay is REALLY the flasher, why not call it a flasher, I spent forever looking for a relay, another thing, on AMERICAN military vehicles, they have the wire numbers on the wires about every 6", this makes fixing wiring sorta easy, on this foreign crap the wire numbers are ONLY at the connection, NOTHING between the connections, just a bunch of unmarked wires which makes it real hard to repair dinner.

Now the good news, I now have power to the main light switch :jumpin:, still no lights (well 1, the right main headlight), now also have power to the turn signal switch, NO turn signels but the switch is hot :jumpin:, also found MR. RATS x home, it was between the coolant reservoir and the valve cover, also found where another wire that needed a fix, not sure what the the other end does BUT it is good from A to B now

peakbagger

Its not just Texarkana. My SEE was never in that depot as far as I can determine. It came from depot in VA and was shipped to Texas where it sat out on a farm. I think its just the local wildlife. If you ever watch Gas Monkey Garage or the spin off, almost all the junkers they buy are loaded with rat crap and nests. They rarely talk about munched harnesses. There are other critters up north but mine sat an entire winter in northern NH where its gets to 25 below zero on occasion. I figure the warm blooded critters from Texas didn't survive the winter. There are several northern rodents who will build nests but rarely have I heard of them gnawing wires unless they are covered with road salt.

With respect to cold weather operation with the SEE, the weak point is the alcohol injection system for the brakes. Few trucks up my way use it except in addition to an air dryer. I have A Wabco desiccant air dryer sitting on the shelf waiting to be installed but since I park it for the winter, no big rush. Sounds like most folks on this board are a bit farther south so they may not need to worry about frozen brakes lines but it big issue up north in winter.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With respect to cold weather operation with the SEE, the weak point is the alcohol injection system for the brakes. Few trucks up my way use it except in addition to an air dryer. I have A Wabco desiccant air dryer sitting on the shelf waiting to be installed but since I park it for the winter...
Good point. I should probably look into getting something like the Wabco. Especially if the front mounted snow blower becomes reality.

General Hood

Its not just Texarkana. My SEE was never in that depot as far as I can determine. It came from depot in VA and was shipped to Texas where it sat out on a farm. I think its just the local wildlife. If you ever watch Gas Monkey Garage or the spin off, almost all the junkers they buy are loaded with rat crap and nests. They rarely talk about munched harnesses. There are other critters up north but mine sat an entire winter in northern NH where its gets to 25 below zero on occasion. I figure the warm blooded critters from Texas didn't survive the winter. There are several northern rodents who will build nests but rarely have I heard of them gnawing wires unless they are covered with road salt.

With respect to cold weather operation with the SEE, the weak point is the alcohol injection system for the brakes. Few trucks up my way use it except in addition to an air dryer. I have A Wabco desiccant air dryer sitting on the shelf waiting to be installed but since I park it for the winter, no big rush. Sounds like most folks on this board are a bit farther south so they may not need to worry about frozen brakes lines but it big issue up north in winter.
This is how we deal with the rats down south

thFN8NHVDR.jpg

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you ever show us a pic of that snow blower?
No, not yet. And there's a good reason for it. The first one I found, a used 3-point, PTO driven, dual auger 8-footer, I realized couldn't be powered by 36 gpm.
Last week I ordered a fully hydraulic 7-foot skid steer version, which supposedly will run on what the SEE's PTO pump puts out. We'll find out if that's true.
It wouldn't surprise me if the end result will be a 350 V8 powered pump behind the cab.
Also, I need to convince Couch Off-Road to hurry up with the quick attach setup for the loader so I don't have to make my own.
In other words, I don't have any of the parts and pieces yet, subsequently no photos, either.

peakbagger

Good point. I should probably look into getting something like the Wabco. Especially if the front mounted snow blower becomes reality.

I collected what documentation I could for the unit but there is definitely an assumption that someone installing it has a background with air dryers. There are two ways to hook it up, one appears to use air from air from the accumulator tanks downstream to recharge the dryer. The other option was a dedicated tank that plumbs right into the dryer manifold. I went with this option as it looked simpler. I am going to have to do a lot of re plumbing and don't look forward to matching up the various metric thread systems in use.

The Unimog shop in England, Atkinson VOS has used air dryers they have taken off mogs but I figured I would go with a new one that I might be able to get parts for. They also have a replacement alcohol injector that might work but it would need alteration for the remote bottle on the SEE which I don't have as the top is smashed in.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I collected what documentation I could for the unit but there is definitely an assumption that someone installing it has a background with air dryers. There are two ways to hook it up, one appears to use air from air from the accumulator tanks downstream to recharge the dryer. The other option was a dedicated tank that plumbs right into the dryer manifold. I went with this option as it looked simpler. I am going to have to do a lot of re plumbing and don't look forward to matching up the various metric thread systems in use.

The Unimog shop in England, Atkinson VOS has used air dryers they have taken off mogs but I figured I would go with a new one that I might be able to get parts for. They also have a replacement alcohol injector that might work but it would need alteration for the remote bottle on the SEE which I don't have as the top is smashed in.
A custom feature; is that why you bought it?! :jumpin:

peakbagger

Unfortunately another Technical Service Bulletin issue. There is a steel deck designed for someone to step on in the back of the SEE. Its only usable with the backhoe deployed. Some genius cut a hole in the deck plate to access the cover for the alcohol reservoir (labeled antifreeze to boot). Instead of setting the cover so it was below the deck they raised it up above the deck. Anyone who steps in this area steps on the cover and smashes the top of reservoir bottle. Once its smashed any dirt runs down the antifreeze line and into the brake system if the valve is open. The TSB recommended installing a piece of angle iron next to the cap so that someone couldn't step on the cap. Another TSB reminds mechanics that methyl alcohol is to be used for the brake antifreeze not engine antifreeze.

An air dryer doesn't need antifreeze so I can cover over the hole and dispense with alcohol. Of course I will need to change the desiccant cartridge on occasion.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I would need to look at how I plumbed one in on the Peterbilt to refresh my memory. It was simple, as I recall, but then there's nothing metric on that one.
After "borrowing" the alcohol bottle from the parts-SEE (the bottom was pulled off the SEE's bottle, thanks to the stupid-stiff, too short hose) I've been wondering about the feasibility of using a more normal bottle, mounted in the wheel well.
Then again, the parts-SEE will likely only be used during the summer, and the humidity is amazingly low here, so maybe it'll be fine as is.

Biker33, I forgot. yes, it's a mere 26 gpm.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Well we HAVE windshield wipers :jumpin: no delay but that is not needed to drive in the rain, so may not get delay, did not think reattaching four wires to the wiper motor connector (eaten right at the connector) would take so long, well part of the time was finding where else dinner was in the wiper circut, tomorrow "hope" to have turn signals, One of the things that I have found out fighting the wire wars is that I know when I am attacked, a BIG cloud of SMOKE appears from the point of attack. In this war I count every victory as just one small step to total victory, that is till I step back and take in the total battlefield then I am not sure if there EVER will be total victory, never surrender but a truce may be negotiated.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Well we HAVE windshield wipers :jumpin: no delay but that is not needed to drive in the rain, so may not get delay, did not think reattaching four wires to the wiper motor connector (eaten right at the connector) would take so long, well part of the time was finding where else dinner was in the wiper circut, tomorrow "hope" to have turn signals, One of the things that I have found out fighting the wire wars is that I know when I am attacked, a BIG cloud of SMOKE appears from the point of attack. In this war I count every victory as just one small step to total victory, that is till I step back and take in the total battlefield then I am not sure if there EVER will be total victory, never surrender but a truce may be negotiated.
Keep your face to the enemy, 73m819. Don't turn your back!

General Hood

Good progress Ron. What's a man to do when it's all said and done? Well, I notice some really rough looking SEEs coming up for auction. You can think of your current project as a test run for level 2 & 3 wire wars. Jimmy shouldn't be the only guy on this forum with a parts SEE :cool:, or former parts SEE

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the things that I have found out fighting the wire wars is that I know when I am attacked, a BIG cloud of SMOKE appears from the point of attack. In this war I count every victory as just one small step to total victory, that is till I step back and take in the total battlefield then I am not sure if there EVER will be total victory
Ron, I must admit that I have wondered why you did the wiring resurrection "live", but after thinking about it, you're doing it the right way.
By having several smaller smoke bombs go off as you plug away (so to speak) you're getting instant feedback. Or, rat-feed back, if you will.
That has to be a heck of a lot better than splicing away and then connect the batteries - which could lead to a more substantial fireworks show, with little to learn from it.

My personal lack-of-progress report for today is simple: Not a thing accomplished.
On the other hand my brain cell was kept busy for hours with trying to figure out the easy way to lock out the suspension (like on the HMMH) using valves and hydraulic cylinders in place of the shocks.
Hopefully I'll be able to try the concept with stuff I have laying around. It just might work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks