• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

Another Ahab

Thanks, Ahab and MSMOG. Does that mean you want to come over for a look-see and test drive?
Both tanks are full, so you could drive home from here without stopping for fuel. At least if it's 2,000 miles or less between us.
I'd like to for sure, but my GPS always drops me in the Midwest instead of the Actual Midwest. What you going to do?!

Migginsbros

View attachment 649813
Long time no SEE....
We can´t believe that so much activity after opened the thread some years before. We still have our FLU 419 SEE.
We spend some time to get all the hydr. tools to get the SEE fully equipped. The concrete breaker came with the SEE, the hydr. hammer Drill we purchased at a german underwater mining company.
The hydr. chainsaw we managed to get at a Pawn in Florida and the ultimate usefull tool, the Hydr. impact wrech we got from a nice Lady in Arizona. Thanks the WWW
The impact wrench is standart on a HMMH but it`s very usefull to change big lorryUnimog SEE Ausfahrt29.12.13 008.jpg tires on our MAN 26.400 scooter we use traveling more than 100 mile with the UNIMOG to a meeting.
We already took the loader and backhoe on and off, serviced and repaired plenty of things, took photos and learn a lot about.
So feel free to ask for details.unimogfreunde niederbayern 052.jpgKiesgrube 2015 018.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, long time no SEE indeed! Glad ya came back. I know that without this thread I would have probably never gotten my SEE, even with this thread I know I'm in way over my head. Thank you, and Mog on my friend.

MSMOG

Does anybody know exactly what was done to these trucks when they were "overhauled" at RRAD? Was everything done regardless to wear and tear on the truck? I've noticed a few differences on my 3 trucks, overhauled in 2001, 2008, and 2010 respectively. The 2010 has LED lights on the rear (honestly I forgot to look in the front). The 2010 has a black engine. The 2001 has a green engine, but the engine is marked "CARC 8/04". The 2001 also has a tag hanging off the visor that says "Clutch JO#1344 KEY 1-157". Anybody know what that means? Has anyone had success banging these fenders out? Even EI recommended that I try that first and then spray with bedliner. Looks like I also have a bad clutch switch. Has anyone run across this Fleetgaurd LF-595 fuel filter being used? Did these hoods original come with an emblem of some type, maybe Mercedes? The 2 little holes seem to indicate they are set up for an emblem.

View attachment 649287View attachment 649283View attachment 649280View attachment 649279

Anyone know what the tag might mean?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know what the tag might mean?
Far from everything was done on mine when overhauled. But then, the one which is the easiest to tell on (because it wasn't painted afterwards) has no RRAD stickers. I'm guessing that they fixed what was needed, but no more.

Haven't tried un-denting any fenders yet, but if the wider tires require it I'll definitely do it. Basic body work rules apply, just with heftier tools.
Like having to use a bottle jack for straightening a door skin.DSCN0721.jpg

The SEE hoods never came with any emblems, as far as I know, and for obvious reasons. Set up for an emblem, yes, as the civilian version had them, just like there are holes for civilian accoutrements on the fenders. And after seeing a FLU10344 with a chrome Mercedes star on the hood, I'm very grateful that the FLUs didn't come with them. It looked very wrong.

Mark1954

Just bought my first SEE, and......everything works so far! Haven't tried the hydraulic tools yet, but they seem in good order with all parts. One aux headlight is bad, if anyone knows a good source or generic part #, I would appreciate a heads up. This one was in a National Guard QM unit (978th) in Pennsylvania, batteries are 2013, and it was full to the brim with diesel and had new filters and oil! From some of the posts I have seen, got really lucky.

MSMOG

Far from everything was done on mine when overhauled. But then, the one which is the easiest to tell on (because it wasn't painted afterwards) has no RRAD stickers. I'm guessing that they fixed what was needed, but no more.

Haven't tried un-denting any fenders yet, but if the wider tires require it I'll definitely do it. Basic body work rules apply, just with heftier tools.
Like having to use a bottle jack for straightening a door skin.View attachment 649891

The SEE hoods never came with any emblems, as far as I know, and for obvious reasons. Set up for an emblem, yes, as the civilian version had them, just like there are holes for civilian accoutrements on the fenders. And after seeing a FLU10344 with a chrome Mercedes star on the hood, I'm very grateful that the FLUs didn't come with them. It looked very wrong.
Oh, I agree that the emblem would look tacky! However, I'm thinking about appealing to a certain demographic of prospective buyers, ie status sensitive doctors with deer camps or farms. Call me a sell out, but I've got to recoupe some of my investment so I can buy more stuff!! If I stick an emblem on the hood, maybe I'll paint it black.

MSMOG

Just bought my first SEE, and......everything works so far! Haven't tried the hydraulic tools yet, but they seem in good order with all parts. One aux headlight is bad, if anyone knows a good source or generic part #, I would appreciate a heads up. This one was in a National Guard QM unit (978th) in Pennsylvania, batteries are 2013, and it was full to the brim with diesel and had new filters and oil! From some of the posts I have seen, got really lucky.
Welcome to the club, Mark! Let's see some pics. What's the plan for your Mog?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, congratulations on getting a SEE, and what sounds like a great one at that.
If you're not into originality, check out the dirt cheap LED worklights on Amazon and elsewhere. But what's your definition of "bad"?
Does it indeed get power (and ground) yet doesn't work?
Should your travels bring you to this 'hood, you're welcome to one that works. I've been replacing them with ones that work much better, so there's a box full of them.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, I agree that the emblem would look tacky! However, I'm thinking about appealing to a certain demographic of prospective buyers, ie status sensitive doctors with deer camps or farms. Call me a sell out, but I've got to recoupe some of my investment so I can buy more stuff!! If I stick an emblem on the hood, maybe I'll paint it black.
I can see one painted OD, or desert tan, if that's the color of the SEE. Heck, don't forget Mercedes mud flaps and a shiny (since it doesn't matter) Mercedes key fob.
But even if those doctors are status sensitive they may still have taste, so don't add anything that isn't easily removable.

FOD

Has anyone ever tried replacing the windshield? Mine has a pretty serious crack in it and although it has "character" I'm probably going to have to deal with it at some point. I saw that EI has a windshield for sale although it sounds like they come in broken more often than not. The procedure makes it sound like no big deal but I'm guessing the TM is leaving out about 4 hours or more worth of F bombs.

Mark1954

I plan to use it mainly for terrascaping, installing culverts, preparing tree removal piles for burning, and road maintenance around several properties with less than ideal access. In time, may put auger on backhoe as I need to replace fence around about 11 acres in one location. I have adapted an excavator to use as a crane (with an electric winch) to drop about 30k of steel and wood beams where needed through a 2' hole, so adapting or finding an auger shouldn't be impossible.

Last edited:

MSMOG

I can see one painted OD, or desert tan, if that's the color of the SEE. Heck, don't forget Mercedes mud flaps and a shiny (since it doesn't matter) Mercedes key fob.
But even if those doctors are status sensitive they may still have taste, so don't add anything that isn't easily removable.
I'm going to include keyless entry and a remote start FOB on that Benz keychain! Have you see the $100+ milled stainless Mercedes emblem that EI has that will pop into the middle of the steering wheel?

Mark1954

Mark, congratulations on getting a SEE, and what sounds like a great one at that.
If you're not into originality, check out the dirt cheap LED worklights on Amazon and elsewhere. But what's your definition of "bad"?
Does it indeed get power (and ground) yet doesn't work?
Should your travels bring you to this 'hood, you're welcome to one that works. I've been replacing them with ones that work much better, so there's a box full of them.
Is the Actual Midwest in KS or elsewhere?

Migginsbros

On a big UNIMOG + MB-Trac (550 vehicles) meeting in Mai 2016 we had the chance to have a look at two SEE at one time.unimogfreunde niederbayern 030.jpg
unimogfreunde niederbayern 024.jpgIt was a 700 mile weekend fun. But with a little help by truck. unimogfreunde niederbayern 059.jpg unimogfreunde niederbayern 060.jpg

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to include keyless entry and a remote start FOB on that Benz keychain!
General Hood might be very interested in the remote start feature. He has one SEE which he can't get started in normal fashion, but maybe the remote would do the trick. If nothing else, he could continue his attempts from the comfort of the couch, instead of having to be out in the weather.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks