• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I am at it again, have tack working though at times looses ground, temp gauge now works, NO fluid in the clutch reservoir need to find where it went, maybe the rat drank it, had to put the pto engaged then start the engine, rolled the backhoe to work position, have two froze control levers, still have some wiring issues, no air build yet.

Now some questions,
1--Is dot 5 used ?
2--Does anybody have a brake/clutch reservoir cap, rat ate part of the cap and lost one of the contacts
3--Does anybody have a good oil pressure sender, still can not get the oil pressure gauge to work, so I want to start with a sender that works, then fix or run new wires to the gauge.

The more I work on this POS, the gladder I am that IT DO NOT OWN IT.
I can answer number 1. Yes, synthetic brake fluid only.
For number 2, if it's only the wiring part that's eaten and the cap still seals, I wouldn't worry about it. Might only be connected to the diagnostic system. Unless you have to worry about it because of the customer, that is.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
once my buddy stands the digger up. some times it can take 5 minutes of fiddling around to get the arm to extend than it works fine the rest of the day.
Okay, after thinking about the above, do you mean that the boom (inner "arm") or the dipper (that the bucket is attached to) won't extend?
If it's the boom, and the release lever actually lifts the mechanical lock, it could be that the over-center design of the boom cylinder is the culprit. It's been so long since I used the backhoe that I can't remember if it will extend by simply pushing the lever out, or if it does need a quick pull first.

snowtrac nome

well I suppose we are lucky we got a dusting over night about 800 miles southwest of me Seward AK got 3 feet of snow mixed with rain what a mess that must be. Thanks for your imput I will have to get the hydraulic schematics printed out so I can follow them

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I can answer number 1. Yes, synthetic brake fluid only.
For number 2, if it's only the wiring part that's eaten and the cap still seals, I wouldn't worry about it. Might only be connected to the diagnostic system. Unless you have to worry about it because of the customer, that is.
The two wires coming out of the cap are for the LOW fluid warning, both a light and buzzer.

Sny427

Welcome. It looks like your first post.

Are you saying that that is what you plan to do? Or maybe that you already did it?

Peut-être le français est votre premier language, et l'anglais votre seconde. C'est ça?
(Mon français, ce n'est pas si bon, alors. Il y'a plusieurs d'années.) :naner::roll:
Oui effectivement c'est ma première langue.
I have a unimog 406 and I want to buy a flu419. I would like to be certain that we can install a pto of unimog 406?😀

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a unimog 406 and I want to buy a flu419. I would like to be certain that we can install a pto of unimog 406?
Only guessing here, but it's probably easier to plumb in a hydraulic motor with a PTO shaft output on a SEE than to add a regular mechanical PTO.
Alright, I already know it'd be fairly simple to add a hydraulically driven PTO. But its output wouldn't be a high as that of a mechanical PTO.
If that solution provides enough power depends on what you want to run off of that PTO.

Migginsbros

Hello.
Can install a front and rear pto on my Flu419.
thank you
Bruno Angers
I think you can´t use the parts from the 406. In place of a 406 PTO(front/rear)drive on the SEE trany is the drive for the big backhoe hydr.pump. The SEE trany is a much later as the 406 trany
so its not equal. And if you route a rear PTO you can´t let the backhoe in place, I think. SEE Schubrohrmanschetten Endres 017.jpg
See Geräte anAb 002.jpgWe own 406 forest skidder from 1972 which is equipped with a PTO to drive 2 off 6 ton winches and aditionaly the front drive shaft. The bolt pattern is totaly different compared to the
4 bolt SEE pattern of the PTO housing that attaches the hydr.pump.

BigBison

If it's the boom, and the release lever actually lifts the mechanical lock, it could be that the over-center design of the boom cylinder is the culprit. It's been so long since I used the backhoe that I can't remember if it will extend by simply pushing the lever out, or if it does need a quick pull first.
If you slew over to center and still can't get the boom to unlatch, lower your stabilizers all the way; this tilts the boom back towards the operator, making it easy to unlatch instead of just bending that crazy-bent unlatch lever (which I have to remind myself to push sideways to operate). Then lower the stabilizers back down to level operation.

I now keep a sturdy stick in the SEE's toolbox, when it gets cold enough that's about the only way to work that latch!

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCN0115[1].jpgYeah, it would've been quicker to use something else, but the HMMH has been sitting for a long time, largely because the 5-plus feet of snow (so far) this month has kept the SEE busy. Despite the hibernation and cold morning, it fired right up. Besides, it was appropriate to use a FLU to get the new FLU tires.

This also presented the opportunity to figure out the 4WD air leak. Took all of 30 seconds to find the problem, and it will take a couple of minutes to fix. Wish all FLU ailments were that simple.

Migginsbros

View attachment 663888Yeah, it would've been quicker to use something else, but the HMMH has been sitting for a long time, largely because the 5-plus feet of snow (so far) this month has kept the SEE busy. Despite the hibernation and cold morning, it fired right up. Besides, it was appropriate to use a FLU to get the new FLU tires.

This also presented the opportunity to figure out the 4WD air leak. Took all of 30 seconds to find the problem, and it will take a couple of minutes to fix. Wish all FLU ailments were that simple.
We wish we had snow in our area this winteralles ab winterhike2014 014.jpg like some years before.alles ab winterhike2014 018.jpg We are prepared. Get our spare tires (9 x 20) fitted with chains unimog 2100.jpg and serviced our vintage snowmobile skidoo 078.jpg.....but... not enough snow this winter till now. Have a nice weekend !

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Does anybody have a good used oil pressure sender for the SEE that they would like to sell ???

General Hood

It is the FREAKIN wiring, every thing else is not to bad, who ever designed the wiring had way to much time on there hands, could have been watching porrn and keep there hands busy, I have NEVER seen wiring this big of a mess since I started messing with trucks and heavy equipment.
While mending the wiring on my SEE, my conclusion was the wiring was first on the assembly line, and they built the rest of the SEE around it

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Thanks for the laugh, General Hood!
AA, it may be funny to you now, but AFTER someone brings a rat dinner SEE to you to fix what the inconsiderate rat eat, you WILL NEVER make the statement again and most likely promise to shoot the next miserable SOB that even thinks about bringing another rat dinner SEE to you to fix.

lummi

Did you ever figure out why the RPM switch wasn't working? I am having the same problem. Does the tools switch need to be engaged for the hi/low switch to work? Also, what is the part number of the Cole Hersee tool switch (broke mine trying to clean terminals). Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks