• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

Another Ahab

From there on I looked at every aspect in life as a journey of continuous improvement, not as a quest for destinations of imaginary perfection. As long as I experience the sun rise in the morning, nothing is ever completely broken nor is anything ever perfect. In today's world it may appear that cars are either perfectly running along or "broken down". But I can still feel the nuances that the book 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' touches. There are days where the diesel in my boxtruck cannot find its own rhythm and then I think about taking the injectors out and having them gone over. The next day the same engine purrs along like a Swiss clockwork and I decided to leave things alone until the rough days get more frequent.
You have clearly thought it all through.

Good luck, and Godspeed!
Cheers, Brother. :beer:

911joeblow

I would guess air brakes and electrical will be your two nemesis's. Neither are really road serviceable items. You might get really lucky but I think I got one of the better units out there and I still needed 40hrs or so in my shop to get everything what I would consider road worthy. I needed compressed air, air tools, grinders, welders, lathe, mill, drill press, wiring supplies and lots of time.

I have done what you are planning with several HMMWVs but those are like a VW bug to these being a panzer tank.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure sounds like you have the necessary experience (if not with SEEs), outlook on things, and patience. I'd love to make a trip like that with you....just not in a SEE.
One thing you should bring (but I have no idea if they even exist) is ear plugs for the dog. Yeah, you'll need them, too.

peakbagger

I will stick with fuel system issues. Bring about 4 feet of fuel rated fuel hose and hose clamps. The fuel primer pump is most likely the old style and having a new style Bosch unit could be real handy. The fuel filters can be cleaned in the field and major sediment will build up in the bottom of the bowl so you may need to clean them out.

I would also remove the doghouse and spray every bit of the throttle linkage pivot points particularly the rod that goes in sleeve from one side of the engine block to the other.

The gaskets on the valve stems can get old and let the tires leak down. if they pop off the bead you are out of luck unless you have can of ether.

Oh yeah some fine sandpaper and a box of ceramic fuses. As long as you don't run the backhoe for long periods, you may not experience the intermittent blown red fuse (first one to the left on the right side fusebox).

General Hood

I will stick with fuel system issues. Bring about 4 feet of fuel rated fuel hose and hose clamps. The fuel primer pump is most likely the old style and having a new style Bosch unit could be real handy. The fuel filters can be cleaned in the field and major sediment will build up in the bottom of the bowl so you may need to clean them out.

I would also remove the doghouse and spray every bit of the throttle linkage pivot points particularly the rod that goes in sleeve from one side of the engine block to the other.

The gaskets on the valve stems can get old and let the tires leak down. if they pop off the bead you are out of luck unless you have can of ether.

Oh yeah some fine sandpaper and a box of ceramic fuses. As long as you don't run the backhoe for long periods, you may not experience the intermittent blown red fuse (first one to the left on the right side fusebox).
Sound advice sir

alpine44

Bring a fat wallet and some luck, you will need them both! Another vehicle to watch your six, carry tools and beer could be beneficial too:-D
The first two items I try not to rely on. Lady Luck is a very fickle travel companion and my wallet is not deep enough to use dollars as tools.
I will however have a support vehicle that gets me to the pick-up destination and follows me along with tools, manuals, food, sleeping bags, dogs, etc.
The beer stays in the fridge at home. Either for celebration or to ease the pain.

alpine44

Sure sounds like you have the necessary experience (if not with SEEs), outlook on things, and patience. I'd love to make a trip like that with you....just not in a SEE.
One thing you should bring (but I have no idea if they even exist) is ear plugs for the dog. Yeah, you'll need them, too.
I shamefully admit that I went through the same schools of thought that educated the creators of this marvel of German over-engineering. If I reach the limit of my comprehension and ingenuity than I will consider myself a symbolic sacrifice in lieu of those who should have been punished for creating an unreliable maintenance nightmare.

As far as the noise is concerned, the dogs will be in the support vehicle and I will wear David Clarks with active noise canceling, wired into my mobile ham rig.

General Hood

The first two items I try not to rely on. Lady Luck is a very fickle travel companion and my wallet is not deep enough to use dollars as tools.
I will however have a support vehicle that gets me to the pick-up destination and follows me along with tools, manuals, food, sleeping bags, dogs, etc.
The beer stays in the fridge at home. Either for celebration or to ease the pain.
Send photos and updates of your journey, may all go well

alpine44

Excellent suggestions. Thanks.

Should I try to find a 24V electric in-line fuel pump to prime or to compensate for pinholes?

Fuses are already in my kit. They are a sentimental reminder of my long gone 110 series Mercedes.

Tires looked fine on photos and videos. There is also an unused spare behind the cab. I will have scuba tanks with tire adapter, a long lug nut wrench and - just in case - ether with me

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should I try to find a 24V electric in-line fuel pump to prime or to compensate for pinholes?
Tires looked fine on photos and videos. There is also an unused spare behind the cab. I will have scuba tanks with tire adapter, lug nut wrench and ether with me
No need to get a 24 Volt pump. Not when you have two 12 Volt batteries. But do bring a decent one, just so you won't need it.

Tires looked fine? Famous last words. Good thing your familiar with the proper use of ether (it's not good for diesels to ingest ether...tires on the other hand...)

If you have the time, this actually sounds like a fun trip. You certainly have the right mindset. In a previous life (pre-kids, pre-obligations) I would have loved to join your adventure.

alpine44

Any issues with the air system for brake boost and shifter beyond fixable leaks are obviously show stoppers

Any electric issues that are apparently very common with these machines I plan to address the following way if troubleshooting according to the TM fails. It takes only one (jumper) wire to start the engine. All other stuff required for driving during the day can be taken care of by two magnetic light kits, a fully charged 12V battery (already part of my ham kit), one momentary ON switch for the brake, one ON-OFF-ON toggle switch for the turn signal, and sufficient amounts of velcro and ductape.

alpine44

No need to get a 24 Volt pump. Not when you have two 12 Volt batteries. But do bring a decent one, just so you won't need it.
LOL. I will stuff the support vehicle to the roof with items I really do not want to need.
Tires looked fine? Famous last words. Good thing your familiar with the proper use of ether (it's not good for diesels to ingest ether...tires on the other hand...)
First time I tried the ether inflation on my skid loader I had some serious pucker factor. But it is actually a very slick method especially if you use the can as a short burst flame-thrower to keep your distance. While we are at the topic of flames, let's add a CO2 or Halon extinguisher to my travel list - so that we do not need it.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While we are at the topic of flames, let's add a CO2 or Halon extinguisher to my travel list - so that we do not need it.
Yeah, fire extinguishers are kinda like seat belts. Useless, until helpful.
Kinda like seating tires with ether, come to think of it. Most helpful, until it maims or kills you. So far I've been lucky with that, but have witnessed a few very close calls.

Oh, and do slap one of those slow moving vehicle triangles onto the back of the SEE. It'll come in handy when tooling down the road getting parts for the support vehicle.

Last edited:

General Hood

Kinda like seating tires with ether, come to think of it. Most helpful, until it maims or kills you. So far I've been lucky with that, but have witnessed a few very close calls.

Oh, and do slap one of those slow moving vehicle triangles onto the back of the SEE. It'll come in handy when tooling down the road getting parts for the support vehicle.
thDMZ114K9.jpg

Yeah, the triangle lets the 40 cars behind you know that you're driving slow

anthkey

I went to the tag office and they looked at me like I was nuts...They told me to put the triangle on it... "Why would I want to tag it ? are you driving it on the road every day?".. NO...
"Why would I want to pay the road impact fee and ad valorem tax..?".... so I put a farm triangle on it ... it's working on my farm.. got an ICB tote and painted it blue and filled it farm diesel fuel.. a lot cheaper..$$
Where is the unit at in Atlanta ? I live in Cumming ga..and when are you planing this pilgrimage??? I have been all over my unit for 3 weeks now like a french monkey...might be able to meet you, and or go look at it..?
MY MOG.jpg

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... so I put a farm triangle on it ... it's working on my farm..

...got an ICB tote and painted it blue and filled it farm diesel fuel.. a lot cheaper..$$
Exactly. I never did understand the obsession with getting a FLU registered. Even if I did drive it on the road only, I wouldn't (dare to) drive so fast that a triangle wouldn't be legit.
It's not that they wouldn't register one here, they'd be glad to take my money. It's just easier not to. And while I haven't got around to put a triangle on a FLU, around here nobody cares.

On your IBC tote, are you running gravity feed or a pump?

impulse787

Hey our relatives here in Georgia dont have their teeth anymore. We might take offense. LOL Hey Im in Dallas Ga 30157 with a working SEE. I drive back and forth to store for diesel red and use both the loader and backhoe for work on my farm. Let me know if you run into any problems. I was planning on bidding on the SEE in atlanta as a parts truck but forgot about the ending time. Good luck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks