• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

Speedwoble

A gentle PSA, remember to always close the toolbox lids before driving. For some reason, I keep forgetting and the tire lug contacted the lid, bending it so it won’t close. I don’t recall if it was a problem with the 12.5R20’s, but I think it could be worse because the lid will hang lower, making it more likely to wedge rather than popping up and down out of the way.

I intend to drill a small hole and add a cable so the door doesn’t open beyond 90deg

488458E9-2665-439D-BE4C-9FB4D7D91C1D.jpeg
2C848802-1687-4441-88FC-C383A8406A3E.jpeg

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the keyed switch on the dash? The key was broken off in the switch and the switch was removed. I will be repairing it the right way when when I can find an appropriate switch, but I would like to come up with a work around for now.

Speedwoble

Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the keyed switch on the dash? The key was broken off in the switch and the switch was removed. I will be repairing it the right way when when I can find an appropriate switch, but I would like to come up with a work around for now.
Wiring diagram scan is available on this site, along with the TM’s.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New SEE owner.
Just off the truck from the Georgia Forestry Commission.
I am out of daylight so only a few pics.

View attachment 822220View attachment 822220View attachment 822221
I see it didn't take you long to find one. That looks like a very nice unit. I don't know if you are aware, but the ignition switch doesn't take a normal key. The key is more like a key blank. You can turn the switch with a screwdriver, etc. I've seen new switches at EI and also on Ebay. If you replace the switch, you can also get one with a real key. Did your SEE come with the hydraulic tools? Does it run well and everything work? I'd like to see it sometime since we are neighbors.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Did your SEE come with the hydraulic tools? Does it run well and everything work? I'd like to see it sometime since we are neighbors.
Tool Boxes are empty. The batteries were dead so I will see if I can charge them before buying replacements, hopefully I'll get it started today. You are more than welcome to come check it out.

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A gentle PSA, remember to always close the toolbox lids before driving. For some reason, I keep forgetting and the tire lug contacted the lid, bending it so it won’t close. I don’t recall if it was a problem with the 12.5R20’s, but I think it could be worse because the lid will hang lower, making it more likely to wedge rather than popping up and down out of the way.

I intend to drill a small hole and add a cable so the door doesn’t open beyond 90deg

View attachment 822217
View attachment 822218
Just a bit of self-clearancing 🙂

Every time I see those tires and wheels.... Love 'em!

You know wheel specs for offset, depth and diameter, bolt pattern? Assuming I somehow can't find another set of mine sweeper wheels... 🤪

I could probably get Stockton wheel to make a set. I love the set of 1/2" plate steel wheels they made for my M37.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tool Boxes are empty. The batteries were dead so I will see if I can charge them before buying replacements, hopefully I'll get it started today. You are more than welcome to come check it out.
What kind of batteries did it come with? If they are Hawkers and appear to be dead, there is a good chance they can be resurrected, but it takes a special technique.

BigBison

I have a pressing need for a log grapple.

My SEE, aside from needing serious TLC now (I've used it a lot for digging and snow removal, 4WD down), lacks both the extra hydraulic circuit for a grapple, and a front-suspension lockout.

My HMMH is pristine (except the leaky crane-boom seal is now blown, crane down), has the extra circuit I need (red button for rotating the forklift can run the grapple), and the suspension lockout.

Can I swap out the forklift on the HMMH for the loader on the SEE?

Studying the schematics, it looks to me like I'd just need one custom hydraulic hose for the grapple, the rest is nuts-and-bolts...

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Speedwoble

I have a pressing need for a log grapple.

My SEE, aside from needing serious TLC now (I've used it a lot for digging and snow removal, 4WD down), lacks both the extra hydraulic circuit for a grapple, and a front-suspension lockout.

My HMMH is pristine (except the leaky crane-boom seal is now blown, crane down), has the extra circuit I need (red button for rotating the forklift can run the grapple), and the suspension lockout.

Can I swap out the forklift on the HMMH for the loader on the SEE?

Studying the schematics, it looks to me like I'd just need one custom hydraulic hose for the grapple, the rest is nuts-and-bolts...

Thoughts?
In theory all of the FLU front implements will swap between each other, toolboxes on the rear notwithstanding. Thus far only photos I have seen are of 2 of the HME dozer blades on the FLU. It should not take long to figure it out. You could use the bucket on the SEE to help remove the forklift from the HMMH, then remove the loader from the SEE and see if the HMMH can attach to it.
Whether you should is another question, as pointed out by FluFarm. I personally think I would keep the HMMH on flat ground and take the SEE to places where you are hauling logs. The backhoe can help drag you out if you get stuck.

BigBison

It'd be quicker and easier to add an electrically operated splitter valve to the SEE, wouldn't it?
Then you'd have the same functions on it as on the HMMH.
Quite possibly, but the SEE is getting old and tired; the HMMH has like, 160 miles and 700 operating hours on it, post-rebuild at Red River.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a similar need for my tractor a few years ago. Needed hydraulics for angling a snow plow.
Looked at adding a ("third function" I think they called them) switch setup to the joy stick, but decided on installing a separate valve with a lever instead.
Either way, the tractor can now angle the blade, operate the grapple, and other things.

BigBison

Whether you should is another question, as pointed out by FluFarm. I personally think I would keep the HMMH on flat ground and take the SEE to places where you are hauling logs. The backhoe can help drag you out if you get stuck.
Good point, but the woodlot is relatively flat and non-muddy. Maybe 200 yards from the stockpile to the firewood processor. Plus, once the crane's back online, it can stack the stockpile -- having both functions on one FLU instead of two, has a certain appeal. Then I have some time to fix the SEE, and add the extra hydraulic circuit to run the forklift on it. Making one a forklift/backhoe and the other a loader/crane would actually be more efficient for my purposes.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...and add the extra hydraulic circuit to run the forklift on it.
Another thought. Over the years I have used that extra circuit twice on the HMMH. In other words, do you really need it?
Same with the locking front suspension, come to think of it. An interesting novelty that I forgot all about.

BigBison

Another thought. Over the years I have used that extra circuit twice on the HMMH. In other words, do you really need it?
I use it all the time for the forklift, most recently when taking delivery of a new Ariens Pro 28" EFI/hydro snowblower and an 8' Fisher HD2 plow for my Dodge. Had to fetch them from down on the highway and bring 'em up my twisty steep side-sloping driveway. Needed to rotate the forks about 15* each way to keep the pallets level.

For the benefit of non-HMMH owners, the two levers for the front hydraulics are the same as the SEE, except for the red button. One lever raises/lowers the forklift, the other tilts --or-- press the red button and that lever rotates the load. Very ergonomic.

On the SEE, one lever raises/lowers the loader arms, the other lever tilts the bucket up and down. Another control would be needed to open/close a grapple -- the red button circuit on the HMMH. Taking the forklift off the HMMH and putting it on the SEE as-is, the forklift will go up/down and tilt, but not rotate, and of course there's no suspension lockout (although it can be retrofitted, but I think the struts are different).

So yes, I think I need it. ;)

Same with the locking front suspension, come to think of it. An interesting novelty that I forgot all about.
Without locking out the front suspension, picking up a load on the HMMH forklift lowers the suspension before it lifts the load; opposite happens when unloading. Plus, the load bounces if you go over a bump (or hit the brakes). I personally hate all that, YMMV.

Placing logs on the firewood processor's feeder rack requires a bit of precision, so I don't want the suspension bouncing up and down while depositing the logs. So for my purposes, the lockout is more of an essential than a novelty, YMMV.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks