• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

MogPoggers

You won't be able to run anything meaningful off the front hydraulics.

I ran a snowblower off of the rear hydraulics for a few years, but if I did it again I'd put valves in the circuits instead of having to switch the quick disconnects for the backhoe twice a year.
Yes, I'm planning (or was planning) to put diversion valves in the tool circuit. Are there meaningful options for upgrading the front hydraulic pump, or can the flow otherwise be increased? Maybe I should be looking at just using the rear hydraulics since they're more capable, but I had seen some people mention that they didn't want to tap into those for unspecified reasons. I asked what the reasons were, but didn't get a reply. Maybe it's just that the lines for the front circuit are easier to access.

Once I actually have the thing here, I suspect the correct solution will present itself.

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As you work your way through the thread you'll come across the pressure and flow rates for the two systems.

At that point you'll abandon any thoughts of using the front one - other than for the loader and the tools it's designed for. Heck, it doesn't even run the loader very well.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have thoughts on a rear PTO? Beyond it's normal uses, I want to use the FLU to run a haybine, tedder and hay baler. I'm not sure how accessible the existing rear PTO is, even with the backhoe removed - but even if that's feasible, I'd rather not do it. I will be using the hoe often, so I'd like to leave it attached.

I was thinking I might weld an attachment point for a hydraulic PTO to the bottom of the backhoe, above the pintle hitch and then tap into the tool/extension hydraulic system and run lines back to it so I can use the PTO while the backhoe is in the stowed position.
If it was me I'd forget the rear PTO and get a farm tractor for the farm equipment.

MogPoggers

If it was me I'd forget the rear PTO and get a farm tractor for the farm equipment.
Not a bad idea. I could probably get a good 1960's Farmall for the price of the parts necessary to put a hydraulic PTO on the FLU. And besides, that's a reason to buy another toy... and I do like toys.

I just like the idea of the FLU being a Swiss army knife that can do all the things , and I like the challenge of making it happen... but perhaps this is a function I need to delegate to something else.

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think the parts would be particularly expensive, but you'd likely be disappointed with the resulting performance.

For example. my snowblower (a low flow version) is technically within spec for the FLU's hydraulics, and it worked. But...to keep the engine turning at a high enough rpm to make the 'blower function correctly, the FLU was going too fast for the 'blower to keep up.

Also, while it's very rare that the fans come on while using the backhoe, with the snowblower they ran nearly all the time. And needless to say, it was cold when using it.

A great alternative to a tractor would be an MB4/94, optioned with at least a rear PTO, ideally with front and rear hydraulics, and a front PTO. Icing on the cake would be if it also has the working gears. That 2,000:1 reduction may not be needed often, but sure is nice to have.

MogPoggers

I don't think the parts would be particularly expensive, but you'd likely be disappointed with the resulting performance.

For example. my snowblower (a low flow version) is technically within spec for the FLU's hydraulics, and it worked. But...to keep the engine turning at a high enough rpm to make the 'blower function correctly, the FLU was going too fast for the 'blower to keep up.

Also, while it's very rare that the fans come on while using the backhoe, with the snowblower they ran nearly all the time. And needless to say, it was cold when using it.

A great alternative to a tractor would be an MB4/94, optioned with at least a rear PTO, ideally with front and rear hydraulics, and a front PTO. Icing on the cake would be if it also has the working gears. That 2,000:1 reduction may not be needed often, but sure is nice to have.

I like the recommendation of the MB4/94. Somehow I didn't even know that vehicle existed. It's nice that it's also based on the 406 platform, so it would look nice in my barn next to the 419, and a lot of mechanical knowledge would be transferrable from one to the other. From a cursory search I don't see any for sale in my area in good condition for what I would consider a reasonable price at the moment, but I probably still have a couple months before I would legitimately need it anyway, so I'll just keep my eyes open.

Plus, the mustard yellow color would drive my wife crazy - she hates that color and would mercilessly make fun of it, so that's a plus :)

Last edited:

MogPoggers

<Awesome pics>

I didn't want to tell my life story here or sound whiny so I haven't gone into detail, but we just lost our home to a fire back in October and I'm currently rebuilding my life from scratch with the settlement from that incident. Right now we're in a rental while we look around for a new place. I think I've identified one I want to buy, and we're in negotiations now, working on writing up the offer.

Point is: my truck and trailers were in the driveway next to the kitchen, and the fire got so hot there that it exploded the truck windows, burned out the interior, destroyed my flatbed, and even warped the body of my horse trailer which was almost 15 feet away. The position of the horse trailer blocked the fire from jumping to my neighbor's house though, so that's good.

Anyway, driving cross country to pick up a toy isn't in the cards right this moment. The only reason I'm purchasing the 419 right now is because the guy in Ohio said that if I bought it he could continue to hold onto it until I have a place to put it. "My barn" referenced in the previous post is not "My barn" just yet, but it's on the property I'm purchasing, so should be mine pretty soon.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear that. Three guys I know has had their houses etc. burn down within the past several months. Mine burnt down a couple of years ago, but thankfully after I sold it.

If you're "rebuilding" things other than the house, that 32-foot trailer will be for sale soon as I've ordered a new one. Longer, and also with hydraulic dove tail, air suspension, and disc brakes. Of course, you'd still need a new tow vehicle.

MogPoggers

Sorry to hear that. Three guys I know has had their houses etc. burn down within the past several months. Mine burnt down a couple of years ago, but thankfully after I sold it.

If you're "rebuilding" things other than the house, that 32-foot trailer will be for sale soon as I've ordered a new one. Longer, and also with hydraulic dove tail, air suspension, and disc brakes. Of course, you'd still need a new tow vehicle.
I'm rebuilding basically everything. For now I'm focusing on house and acreage, but I couldn't pass up getting the 419 as it's fully functional and seems to be in excellent condition. I've always wanted one, and it will come in handy on the new property. Once I get settled and get it out to the new place, I look forward to providing you guys with all sorts of pictures and videos. From previous posts here, I know you don't know how to make videos, but I do :)

Yes, I'll need a new trailer at some point. What are you asking for that gooseneck?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We might be too far apart on that. I was thinking more like 22. I'll keep it in mind though and look at it again when I'm actually in the market for one.
A new one with the same options is supposedly about $36K now. If you can find one for 22, grab it and run. When searching for a longer one about a month and half ago I couldn't even find one with air suspension, disc brakes, and the hydraulic dovetail.

So I ordered a different brand, this time adding hydraulic jacks. That pushed the MSRP to over $50K. Trailer prices are nuts now.

MogPoggers

A new one with the same options is supposedly about $36K now. If you can find one for 22, grab it and run. When searching for a longer one about a month and half ago I couldn't even find one with air suspension, disc brakes, and the hydraulic dovetail.

So I ordered a different brand, this time adding hydraulic jacks. That pushed the MSRP to over $50K. Trailer prices are nuts now.
Oh the 32 has all that? The way I read your previous comment led me to believe that your new one is going to have those features, but this one does not. Yeah, that bumps it up a bit. I read it as "the new trailer is longer and has XYZ feature to boot", not "It's longer and also has XYZ feature just like this old one".

I still don't know if I'd go to 30 or 32k simply because I like to get really good deals on things if I can, but your price makes more sense if you were saying this one is equally equipped.

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still don't know if I'd go to 30 or 32k simply because I like to get really good deals on things if I can, but your price makes more sense if you were saying this one is equally equipped.
Actually, the 32-footer is a bit better equipped, except for the hydraulic jacks. It also has a full Blackwood deck. Maybe something else, too, that I can't remember.DSCN5224[1].JPG

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks