• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 Transmission/Transfer case odd question

Copout911

Hello All, So if anyone who has rebuilt or disassembled an FLU419 transmission could help...

So when I received my FLU419 and got it up and running I discovered an odd situation. The top bolt for the bearing retainer on the back of the transfer case was missing and of course I thought no big deal but the hole isn't threaded and doesn't look like it has had the threads stripped. So I pose the question, is the bolt different from the rest in a known good situation. I have tried a bolt that is about 5 inches long with no success. I am kind of at a loss for an answer. I have consulted the repair manuals to find nothing one way or the other. Just to be more specific, the bearing retainer is a plate about 9" in diameter with six bolt holes and opposite of the front drive shaft on the back of the Tcase, Top hole. I have taken a few pictures and afraid they would not help as they are not so clear. Any thoughts was welcome and appreciated.

Paul

Copout911

Or are you talking about the very back.

The top one is the only one that is not a through hole. I do not have a bolt handy to test on this one, but when i put the new trany in all the holes took bolts.
Sorry for the delay on responding... First off , Thank you guys for trying to help sort this out. So in your first picture the bearing cover for the front drive shaft is slightly visible. Its the top cover bolt. I have discovered that mine passes all the way through to the front bushing (part that the front drive shaft tube swivels in) So I can't see for sure, but I think the hole is threaded on the front clam part at the top. I ran a bore scope in the hole from the rear and there are some items it passes through. I suspect its the 4X4 shift fork but cant confirm.

Copout911

Have you looked in TM 5-2420-224-24P to see what kind of bolt goes in that top hole?
Yes I have been all over the manuals. I found a reference to say that there are six of the same bolts for that cover but it can't be correct as I have ran a bore scope all through to the front clamshell bushing part for the front drive shaft tube swivel. It measures 5.5 or 140mm from the back cover hole to the front part that I believe is threaded.. still up in the air as to what is right or what it needs.

Copout911

That helps a lot. I misunderstood where you were talking. I will take some photos tomorrow evening and post.
Thank you!

I ordered a m10-1.5 x 140 bolt to test, but not convinced I am doing the right thing. Actually guessed at the treads based on the size or the other five, but skeptical... I really appreciate your help as well as the interest from others.

Paul

brandan34

There is no way to see the inside. Photos of both ends and a person can see all the way through the tranny on that bolt and the other missing one on mine.

Take a Look in the manual for removing the front tube/driveline from the tranny to the front axle.(one of the steps to remove the tranny) I want to say there is one or two bolts on the back that have to be removed to pull it. If my vauge memory on that is correct it would line up with your bolt. In which case the threads are in the collar that holds the ball/swivel part of axle.

That would also explain why that bolt is missing on mine as we pulled it to remove the tranny and probably needed it in the new tranny.

As for thread size those were the common metric threads, just long. There are other places that have fine threaded metric, just not on the tranny as i recall.

If you look at the photos, pull the bolt that lines up with the second one that is missing in the photo and see if it is very long and try it in your hole.

Attachments

Copout911

There is no way to see the inside. Photos of both ends and a person can see all the way through the tranny on that bolt and the other missing one on mine.

Take a Look in the manual for removing the front tube/driveline from the tranny to the front axle.(one of the steps to remove the tranny) I want to say there is one or two bolts on the back that have to be removed to pull it. If my vauge memory on that is correct it would line up with your bolt. In which case the threads are in the collar that holds the ball/swivel part of axle.

That would also explain why that bolt is missing on mine as we pulled it to remove the tranny and probably needed it in the new tranny.

As for thread size those were the common metric threads, just long. There are other places that have fine threaded metric, just not on the tranny as i recall.

If you look at the photos, pull the bolt that lines up with the second one that is missing in the photo and see if it is very long and try it in your hole.
Ok, I will attempt to remove the bolt you are referring to, but I suspect that the frame cross member might prohibit it from coming out all the way in frame. The missing bolt hole just passes the top of the cross member but can't shoot the idea down without looking at it in person, so we will see. I will also consult the maintenance manual to see if it offers anything further. Thank you again for your assistance.

Paul

Copout911

Mr. Brandon34, Might be a big ask, but could you do me a favor and confirm the length and size of the bolt by passing a piece of wire (I used a TIG filler rod) through to confirm the size as well as confirming or SWAG guessing thread pitch by threading a bolt in from the front. My issue was I used a piece of tape at 6" but with the oil and location I could not keep the tape secure to the rod even after brake cleaning the rod. The bolt had to ordered and will not be here for a couple of days as it's an odd ball size. I can't see the front hole and was only guessing from feel mostly. Just looking for some reassurance to make sure I have the right one coming.

I kept this on the forum vs. PM in the hopes that other who might be following would have the same information and are perhaps interested in the outcome.

Thanks all,
Paul

Copout911

140 looks like it should be right or at least within a few washers of being right. M10 by 1.5, threads into the other holes.
Ok great thank you! Just out of curiosity, what was the condition that causes you to have to switch out your trans? I have an issue that seems like the trans is locking up under a load and am scared of what it could be....

Paul

brandan34

Got a gov planet flu419 out of texas as a project. They claimed it would crank with a jumper. Turned out engine was siezed and inside of tranny was a rusty mess even though it was rebuilt in 08, the gears were pitted and nothing would move. Probably should have parted it out, but ended up getting new engine and a mystery box tranny off of ebay. Now working on brakes and air system. New tranny looks good, but wondering why the miltary pulled it.

As for your problem no idea. If you have to pull it or need photos happy to give pointers.

Copout911

Got a gov planet flu419 out of texas as a project. They claimed it would crank with a jumper. Turned out engine was siezed and inside of tranny was a rusty mess even though it was rebuilt in 08, the gears were pitted and nothing would move. Probably should have parted it out, but ended up getting new engine and a mystery box tranny off of ebay. Now working on brakes and air system. New tranny looks good, but wondering why the miltary pulled it.

As for your problem no idea. If you have to pull it or need photos happy to give pointers.
Yeah, Things aren't looking so good. I haven't figured out what the common denominator is with mine. As soon as you load the gearbox in forward or reverse it binds. It was just a resistance for the first few test sessions, but now it won't move two feet, if it sits for a few minutes it unbinds. I guess the trouble shooting will be what situation, in what combination is causing the bind and release. I'm not sure I am going to pull the trans out or sell it. Recently bought my last home (or the last time I'm moving my crap) and have a shop but not set up or large enough to go after a full disassembly. Kind of at a loss right this second. kinda sucks actually!

Paul

brandan34

Ouch, i can see why you are worried. How sure are you it is the tranny vs the rest of the drivetrain? Hoping rear end or tube to it could be bad if you have in 2 wheel drive.

Can you engage the rear hydraulics?

Copout911

Ouch, i can see why you are worried. How sure are you it is the tranny vs the rest of the drivetrain? Hoping rear end or tube to it could be bad if you have in 2 wheel drive.

Can you engage the rear hydraulics?
Yes, I am sure. When it binds up you can push in the clutch and it will roll a bit, its positioned on a slight hill. I am going to pull the top front trans cover and check the cascade shift mechanism for any signs of trouble here in a bit. It just is acting weird for anything I have seen before. I will dig into it a bit before giving up, at least for now. To my knowledge I have never given up on a mechanical issue in my life, but this might be the first..... Still a little depressed would be the best way to describe it at this point. We shall see... I want to thank you for your help no matter.

Paul

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks