• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV High Speed Gears

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My question would be for the hog head. Can the whole thing be swapped with civilian hog heads from other merit or products. Completely ignoring the hub end gearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You can forget this idea, there is nothing in the civilian market that interchange with the RF-611

deshet

I called over to Meritor just now and spoke with there Tech support department.
They said that need a meritor part number from the axle not a military part number.
He said that the axle should have a meritor tag on it.
He said that they do sell kits to change the ratios but they need a part number to match everything up.
He could not cross reference any of the numbers I gave him and he said the military part numbers don't work in his system.
(RF-611) he said that is the beginning of a understandable part but it should have 4-6 more letters and numbers
This may be too expensive or turn up nothing but hopefully it produces something.

Thanks

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If a manufacturer gets pestered too any times by someone chasing obscure and non-profitable information, the result is the door being slammed for future information of a more necessary nature. Steve knows his axles.

ramdough

Since I’m fairly new to the forum and don’t know people yet, don’t take this the wrong way but how do you know?

Steve is a custom axle manufacturer. He uses these axles for parts and then rebuilds them for customers needing special axles...... mud buggies, crawlers, etc.....

He has been trying for a long time to find compatible parts so he can make more variants of Frankenstein’s axles......

He has looked extensively, but that does not mean you should not try.....the more researchers the better IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

redman333

Steve is a custom axle manufacturer. He uses these axles for parts and then rebuilds them for customers needing special axles...... mud buggies, crawlers, etc.....

He has been trying for a long time to find compatible parts so he can make more variants of Frankenstein’s axles......

He has looked extensively, but that does not mean you should not try.....the more researchers the better IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gotcha thanks for clarifying. Wasn’t trying to offend anyone was just curious. We are a meritor dealer where I work but not very familiar with the military axle sets. If I can gather some part numbers I can talk to our meritor rep and see if he can come up with some part numbers.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys, the ring and pinion gearsets are a current item for Meritor. Vendors such as FMTV Truck Sales and MTP Drivetrain can also install these for you, either drive in drive out, or send your chunks to them.

pontiac62

Guys, the ring and pinion gearsets are a current item for Meritor. Vendors such as FMTV Truck Sales and MTP Drivetrain can also install these for you, either drive in drive out, or send your chunks to them.
They currently don’t have anything in there ebay store. Last week or so they had the door handle upgrade kit should have bought it them.

I guess you would have to call or email them about parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man of few words

M1081 LVAD

deshet

Do you have an idea on pricing? Can I get lower then a 3.07.....it would be nice to maintain actually highway speeds if possible vs hoping to get to 70.

Thanks

scottmandu

I got a quote from them and it was $3200 per gear pair new from Meritor and it would take 120 days.

There are no Meritor gears with a ratio higher than 3.07.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3.90 to 3.07 is a 27% increase.

So 58 MPH becomes 73.7 MPH. 50 MPH becomes 63 MPH. 45 MPH (about where mine shifts to 7th) becomes 57 MPH.

coachgeo

Around here Highway Speed starts at 75 in some areas. If 75 sounds like 58 does know then I will back out of throttle to at least 70....
take back routes. Even with high speed gears.. to keep engine at a its best rpm range you wont be much out of 55mph But.... it is not like they will run you over on the Interstate. 55mph is probably MINIMAL legal speed on Interstate and honestly IMHO it is safer to go (in correct lane) 55-60mph on interstate where folk can more easily get around you than to go 55-60 on two lane back-road where 65mph+ is norm and folk are trying to get around you. Just my .02...... Others disagree and say stick to back roads.

Ill have 3.07's but will stick with 55-60 to keep engine and MPG happy.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks