• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV High Speed Gears

deshet

I guess I need to research the tire issue although I may have already experienced it. Blown tire for no reason traveling between Alabama and Virginia at 55-58 MPH. It was also an extremely hot day.

I was about 600 miles into the trip when the tire blew

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess I need to research the tire issue although I may have already experienced it. Blown tire for no reason traveling between Alabama and Virginia at 55-58 MPH. It was also an extremely hot day
Do you have the Michelins or GoodYears?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bcontent/PDF/XML_DataPg.pdf

It looks they are rated fairly low 50 for the xml what is the Goodyear rating
Well you found better data than I did. The big difference in the tires is the tread. The Michelin tread is designed more for off road while Good Year is wider and flatter so better for pavement. Again, most of these tires are OLD so unless you're running new ones or ones past their date codes but stored indoors in climate controlled conditions, you're taking a big chance at governed speeds let alone what the High Speed Gears are capable of.

deshet

Has anyone tired running [FONT=&quot]385/65R 22.5? I can get these all day for decent money barely used. They don't have an extremely [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]aggressive[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] tread but they will work for service roads. The Power Company has large class 6/7 4x4 trucks that have good Highway Speed; I will see what tires they run also. I basically want a service road capable RV that can get through the woods but I am not going to get into anything crazy.

[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Will a bus rim fit on a LMTV? I guess I will research what tire they run on the custom built global expedition vehicles.
50 MPH isn't going to get the job done.
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
Thanks
[/FONT]

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Has anyone tired running [FONT=&quot]385/65R 22.5? I can get these all day for decent money barely used. They don't have an extremely [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]aggressive[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] tread but they will work for service roads. The Power Company has large class 6/7 4x4 trucks that have good Highway Speed; I will see what tires they run also. I basically want a service road capable RV that can get through the woods but I am not going to get into anything crazy.

[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Will a bus rim fit on a LMTV? I guess I will research what tire they run on the custom built global expedition vehicles.
50 MPH isn't going to get the job done.
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
Thanks
[/FONT]
Most super single 22.5s are hub pilot too. Might find some budds laying around. Super single wheels will cost you too. The offset super single wheels on my trailer are common accurides at 820$ each

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

MonkB

Do you know if he wants or plans to sell? I would like to get a set. Oh and who is Joe?
This must be Joe at Das Mule (Mule Expedition Outfitters)...he's got two LMTVs and one (at least) already high-speed-geared. I'm sure that set is for one of his rigs.

Last edited:

Ornduff

I have a '98 1078. I have been looking into the high speed gears reading this entire thread etc. I was double checking tags on my axles and I think my truck has different axles. and I hope they are possible to add the high speed gears to. please educate me.
what I have.
Rockwell International
Cage code: 3WXD8
Part Number: 12414246
Date of Mfr: 7/26/2009

second tag;
Model: RF12611NFSF7
Customer No: 12414246
Ratio: 780

I was informed by the person I purchased the truck from that this was a training truck at Camp Shelby and the truck was refurbished in 2009. hence the new axles, front and rear. being that I don't see any Meritor badges, I have different setup than normal?
Any help is appreciated

Last edited:

scottmandu

I have a '98 1078. I have been looking into the high speed gears reading this entire thread etc. I was double checking tags on my axles and I think my truck has different axles. and I hope they are possible to add the high speed gears to. please educate me.
what I have.
Rockwell International
Cage code: 3WXD8
Part Number: 12414246
Date of Mfr: 7/26/2009

second tag;
Model: RF12611NFSF7
Customer No: 12414246
Ratio: 780

I was informed by the person I purchased the truck from that this was a training truck at Camp Shelby and the truck was refurbished in 2009. hence the new axles, front and rear. being that I don't see any Meritor badges, I have different setup than normal?
Any help is appreciated
Rockwell built the axles then Meritor bought out Rockwell's axle division. You have standard LMTV axles, nothing special. Rockwell, Meritor, and Axletech all made those axles. They are for all intents and purposes the same, the only difference is early axles had a fabricated steel housing and the later axles had a cast ductile iron housing.

Ornduff

Could someone please help me identify the axle position on my diffs please. Pardon my ignorance, I am still learning the differences between these rigs.
trying to get pic to load...IMG_9835.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks