• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

foam filled tires

72m35a2

foam filled tires update!!

are my tires filled with foam? they wont take air but look aired up. never heard of this before but truck vibrates like crazy but gets smother the faster i go. what can i do to make it drive smooth with no vibration?

thanks

Last edited:

Special T

We are gona need some more info. What size tire? What vehicle? If the tire is foam filled a bolt or screw will be opposite of the valve stem. Foam gets pumped in with the stem at the low point, and the air is released as its filled near the top.

What your describing sounds to me like a bias tire that has a flat spot from siting then warms up and goes away. The air not going in could be from a variety of reasons but a faulty valve could be one. You should be able to depress the pin in the center of the valve and get a shot of air. Foam filled tires have cured rubber around the valve core. You should be able to see it with the cap off.

72m35a2

front tire does have a screw in it i seen but will have to check the other thing mentioned and report back
thanks

72m35a2

well it looks like the 2 front tires are foam filled and 2 drive tires are foam filled..but they do have valve cores in them maybe someone put them in to try to put air in? guess theres no way to fix it except new tires?

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Down here Mardi Gras parade floats are filled with foam but I am not sure Foam is ok for high speed and temperature fluctuations.

Screw might just be road hazard. Have you tried unscrewing valve core to see if air escapes?

dmetalmiki

That screw should not be there!, maybe someone left it in, And in not removing it tried to stop the leak (in tube and tire) with foam. Otherwise foam filled tires are usually used on plant and machinery.

Special T

I wouldnt take that down the hwy there is at lease 250 lbs of foam in each tire. They would work great for a forklift. Could be good motivation to put super singles on.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That screw should not be there!, maybe someone left it in, And in not removing it tried to stop the leak (in tube and tire) with foam. Otherwise foam filled tires are usually used on plant and machinery.
Exactly. We used foam filled tires on aircraft tugs, scissor lifts, and mark lifts all low speed vehicles. I've never seen them used on road equipment. Super singles sounds good.[thumbzup]

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Super singles if he was to mess with the Deuce! He has a lot of VINTAGE equipment, maybe he wants a Deuce to look like a Deuce too? Plus 900x20's can be had for a lot less coin!

72m35a2

update

pulled screw out of front tire and now when driving its majorly blowing this goo out of the tire. sticky soft wet tirpintine smelling stuff.
tire is now looking low and i can hear and feel some air pressure coming out of the tire. hopefully i can get enough out of tire to get air
in and plug it. still have 3 more tires like it but their not leaking and seem firm.

anyone know what this goo is?

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know what that stuff is but it's not tipical foam filled tires. Maybe some sort of sealant?

On the foam filled tires I've seen, the foam sets up solid and you have to cut the tire off the rim to change it.

Special T

Looks like re ground foam. It could be coming out because its been ran and started breaking down from heat or because the 2 part mix was off. You wont get air back in those tires and you should only run a foam filled tire with the bolt/screw in.

If your going to keep them stock time to start looking for new tires and wheels.
Is that mixture semi solid or like a paste? Did it squirt out or did you just take the screw out and run it?

jbayer

pulled screw out of front tire and now when driving its majorly blowing this goo out of the tire. sticky soft wet tirpintine smelling stuff.
tire is now looking low and i can hear and feel some air pressure coming out of the tire. hopefully i can get enough out of tire to get air
in and plug it. still have 3 more tires like it but their not leaking and seem firm.

anyone know what this goo is?
Don't know about that goo either, but putting a plug in it isn't going to work. Can't plug a tube, and there's no way you'd get all the "goo" out, to patch it if there's even a tube in there. Don't see a valve stem in the first pics where I would expect to see one. If there is a tube in there, it's trash. Maybe the whole thing If you can't ever get enough of that cr^p out to get the tire/tube off the rim.

72m35a2

talked to a ex army guy who drove 5 tons and said yep thats foam. i got about 2/3 of it out and its now taking air plugged hole and its holding but havent drove it. keeping my fingers crossed. will up date
thanks all

The King Machine

talked to a ex army guy who drove 5 tons and said yep thats foam. i got about 2/3 of it out and its now taking air plugged hole and its holding but havent drove it. keeping my fingers crossed. will up date
thanks all
I hate to be the bad news guy, but it is my humble opinion to say those tires are toast. If you don't get all the foam out they will be off balance and will vibrate like a bugger. I'd say at the very least break the tire off the rim and clean it out properly. Buy a new tube

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate to be the bad news guy, but it is my humble opinion to say those tires are toast. If you don't get all the foam out they will be off balance and will vibrate like a bugger. I'd say at the very least break the tire off the rim and clean it out properly. Buy a new tube
I'm definitely agreeing with The King Machine here. Foam filled are great for vehicles/trailers parked for long, long, periods of display/storage, (but even then it's better to support said vehicle weight on jacks) but not meant to be driven on more than walking speed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks