• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

For the M1009 Newbies: Maintenance/Repairs

ARYankee

I'm an M1009 newbie. I have been wanting one for a while and finally got one. As I am awaiting for it's arrival, I have been looking at TMs, and posts on here. I'm starting this thread for the newbies such as myself. I want to know what needs to be done once I get it home so I'm throwing this out there for our more experienced folks to chime in with their input. So let's hear it.

epartsman

Inspect, lubricate especially hubs and joints, replace all fluids, doghead mod, check oil cooler lines, if the oil pan is leaking and you have to go into it is a good time time to install a DSG stud girldle (will increase engine life and help with future mods). Quoting one of the other members " If it's electrical clean it if it's rubber replace it. It will need some care before you drive it as it's over 25 years old. I have heard of too many people just driving them without any maintenance wondering why stuff is leaking and /or locking up. Other than that you will love it!!!!

ARYankee

Thanks for the input so far. My goal is to go through it before I drive it. I'm actually going to take my time with this.

What is a DSG stud girdle?

francisf16

It depends where you get yours from. I got three from Sparta, Wi and they all had new filters, belts, brakes, headlights, fluids and tires and a half a tank of diesel. I put in diesel 911 and checked everything and headed out. Good luck!

ARYankee

I plan on doing the doghead relay mod and seeing if the GP resistors have been bypassed, if not that will get done. I plan on changing fluids and checking belts. What about seals? Are they common enough to get at Autozone? Anything else that I may be missing? I'm wanting to do all that I can now since it is a supposed non-runner.

Last edited:

combatmech

You can get most if not all common CUCV parts at NAPA or autozone. At the suggestion from a few members here, I have had pretty good luck with getting a part number out of the TM's and doin a google search. It usually lists commercial alternates.
Sure hope you are getting a good truck, basic wear and tear stuff can get expensive quick. Axle ball joints, harmonic balancers ( if its toast ), tires ,shocks, light bulbs, fluids and the like. Like any MV, and I'm sure with your stable of vehicles you know....they can be a pain.
Best of luck!! And of course....nopics

jdmdla

Inspect, lubricate especially hubs and joints, replace all fluids, doghead mod, check oil cooler lines, if the oil pan is leaking and you have to go into it is a good time time to install a DSG stud girldle (will increase engine life and help with future mods). Quoting one of the other members " If it's electrical clean it if it's rubber replace it. It will need some care before you drive it as it's over 25 years old. I have heard of too many people just driving them without any maintenance wondering why stuff is leaking and /or locking up. Other than that you will love it!!!!
Guilty. I just got my M1009 from a guy. He had changed the oil and the fuel filter. I have almost 1000 miles in 3 weeks. I have not read the TMs. I guess my next steps should be change the transmission fluid/filter and changing the belts. Is that the right things to go after next?

jeepjseries

If the belts and hoses are in questionable condition then yes replace them. Preventive maintenance is never a bad thing. When in doubt replace it.

epartsman

Jdmdia you might want to do a complete chassis lube and service the front bearings, ujoints, axles, and transfer case. ARYankee if theres nothing wrong with the GP system leave it alone. Mine works just fine and starts on the first crank and is like it was from the factory. Make sure you are using a good fuel additive as the ULSD that is in the pumps today does not have enough lubricity to keep your IP healthy and the added C-tane will bring back some of the lost power that the new fuels are lacking.

tequilaiam

For what it's worth, a few years ago there was a report posted on TDIclub (the diesel VWs) comparing a few different diesel additives. Turns out 200:1 two-stroke oil was the best in the lubrication deptartment, better than any of the cetane booster type things.

When I fill up my TDI and add a few ounces of the 2-stroke oil I can hear a difference in the pump and injector clatter compared to if I forgot the previous time. CUCV has a different type of pump and injection system but it stands to reason that the effects would be the same. YMMV.

ARYankee

Well it is finally home so now the work begins. Are there any suggestions about the heat? I'm missing the heater core and blower assembly inside the engine. I was wondering if there are any alternatives. If not I figure I will find one at a junkyard or someone parting a M1009 out. Also since all that is missing, I figure it would be a great opportunity to flush the coolant system. Are there any suggestions on any solvents to use or just run a bunch of water through?