• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

For those of you looking for a good battery charger at a good price for 24 volt syst.

Stevepsc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked this up at Sam's Club last week. Solargizer was not doing the job...more on that in a minute. Anyway I see this guy and it's advertised to charge/maintain about every voltage out there. It was around $75. My batteries that I got from Bruce at southern Metals were pretty dead because I have not been driving the truck much. It barely started before I hooked this guy up. Left it charge for about 12 hours. Pulled the a/c power and hit the key. I was struck by how fast the starter spun and how quickly the engine started. So much so that I ground the starter a bit. It would seem that I had never really charged the batteries all the way to full cranking amperage. Rookie mistake for me, so what I thought was a good charge before, was probably about half capacity. Now I believe that I have fully charged the batteries and the solargizer will do a better job of keeping them full.

Bottom line, this thing works great, it petty cheap and will charge/maintain anything from a flashlight battery to a 48 volt golf cart. It came with clamps, rings and both types of golf cart charging connections.

Attachments

papakb

If you were relying on the Solargizer to keep your batteries charged you were in error. Solargizers are battery maintainers, not chargers. They are designed to keep the batteries from self discharging by flashing off the small conductive hairs that grow between the plates, not to actually charge the battery. A simple solar charger will do that at a very low rate but if you leave them connected all the time they can destroy a battery. If you go the solar charger route make sure you buy one with a charge controller. There are a number of 24v chargers out there and some of the most common ones are for seniors mobility chairs or electric bikes. They work pretty well but are generally low current types. I have an old military PP-1660 that will charge 6, 12, or 24 volt batteries at up to 50 amps or so. I removed the original battery connectors and put a standard NATO plug on it so I can use it with any of my trucks. The only problem with it is it weight like 60 pounds! But it works.

Stevepsc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was not trying to charge the battery. I was trying to maintain it. The problem that I ran into was my Rookie mistake of thinking that the level of my batteries charge was close to full, but in actuality it was probably less than half. I learned that now that I have a full charge because the starter spins at a much faster rate. So now I have a charger to charger the batteries to full and a solargizer to keep it full!

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The NOCO Genius chargers are pretty good too.

Here is a photo of trying to revive some 6TL's. These chargers have a "repair" feature and a 13.7V "supply" feature. One came back to life. One did not.

IMG_4398.jpg

Last edited:

ryanruck

Thanks for the heads up!

They had them for $50 at my club. So I grabbed 3. One for the truck, one for my zero turn, and one for my quad.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

There are lots of chargers and solar panel options out there. Tried and true is a good method to count on. I might not have a Interactor charger, but the NOCO Genius line G7200 and higher have the option for 24v. I have and use the NOCO G7200 on lots of things, and use the 12v portion to bring dead batteries back too, and charge 12v stuff. :)

PulseTech solar chargers are the military standard. But, to have your batteries in the best shape, is to charge them fully, and then let the solar charger keep them maintained.

24v charging thru slave port

karlsmith

Question on the Solargizer, when hooked up, should the red LED be on, or flicker? I'm just trying it out before I mount it. However, I only have brand new Optima batteries. Could that cause it not to register?

Action

Do the batteries charge evenly when you do both with a 24v charger?

How long do you leave it between starts? I had mine set for several months and it fired right back up when i got in.

DocThrock

I bought a NOCO G15000 to bring my M998 batteries back to life. It would not work at first, my batteries were below 3 volts when the rig was delivered. I separated the wires and hit each battery with a 12 volt dumb charger overnight. Then I used the NOCO on each battery for about three days. Both batteries recovered and showed fully charged and equal charge. I hooked the wires back up and left the NOCO back on for a week plus. Both batteries are holding full charge nicely. Pretty good considering my batteries are quite old HSPTs.

I have the milspec solargizer with controller. I have yet to hook it up. My rig doesn’t see the light of day, and the solargizer does have a current draw. Rather not have the solargizer kill off what little life my batteries may still have while sitting in the dark.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Always recover batteries by themselves.

Proper recovery with a NOCO charger.
Charge a battery by itself.
Put the NOCO charger into the special 13.6v supply mode to get the battery up to a charging point.

Put the NOCO charger to 12v, and battery type and walk away.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m looking at these noco chargers and there is a sizable price difference between models. What are most folks using? I need to revive a couple 6tls and want to maintain my 24 volt (two battery) battery setups.

twisted60

I’m looking at these noco chargers and there is a sizable price difference between models. What are most folks using? I need to revive a couple 6tls and want to maintain my 24 volt (two battery) battery setups.
I’m using the 7200, so far it’s done great, even used the eyelet cable that came with it to hook up a slave plug. Look on the “bay” I’ve seen used ones cheap, I bought new and it was cheaper than local cost me just under $100.

I recommend it just make sure you get the newer model with 24volt charge capability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

The NOCO G7200 and higher have the ability to do 12 volt charging or 24 volt charging.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the noco gen5x2 hardwired into my truck. If the batteries are too low to start it usually only takes a few hours to bring them up (one advantage of NOT having the unnecessarily large 6T batteries)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks