• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fording Project

Another Ahab

I'm sorry that you got that to deal with.

But yeah, like you said; what you going to do? It's just the way it goes.

You can try complaining, but then everybody leaves, and that's no fun.

:shrugs:

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thread brings back old memories of a fun project.
Yours truly actually dug his own "fording pit" because there were so few opportunities to test the finished kit.
A couple of images.
2002 0705 0706 adrian, kubota, fording pond (1).jpg2004 0928 fording the deuce 6x6.jpg

Because the brake drums are not pressurized, an "after fording service" will be required, where everything will need to be inspected...a good reason to avoid driving in water more than a foot deep, actually. I learned a lot from that experience.

rustystud

Yours truly actually dug his own "fording pit" because there were so few opportunities to test the finished kit.
A couple of images.
View attachment 607279View attachment 607280

Because the brake drums are not pressurized, an "after fording service" will be required, where everything will need to be inspected...a good reason to avoid driving in water more than a foot deep, actually. I learned a lot from that experience.
Building your own fording pit, now that is "Hard Core" !!!!

Another Ahab

A couple of images.
View attachment 607280
That is one GOOD looking rig you got there, cranetruck.

Do you have a stand-alone thread on here somewhere about it? Because I really need to check it out if you do.
:jumpin:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, yes a very useful combination and there are hundreds, perhaps a thousand posts related to it going back over 15+ years on this forum and some 20 articles in Military Vehicles Magazine related to it, not really a "stand alone" thread on the truck itself, I don't think.
Lots of stuff related to fording, not to get sidetracked here.

Last edited:

rustystud

Thanks, yes a very useful combination and there are hundreds, perhaps a thousand posts related to it going back over 15+ years on this forum and some 20 articles in Military Vehicles Magazine related to it, not really a "stand alone" thread on the truck itself, I don't think.
Lots of stuff related to fording, not to get sidetracked here.

Side track by all means ! I would love to see more of this and I'm sure other members would too !

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Side track by all means ! I would love to see more of this and I'm sure other members would too !
Fine, here was my permanent solution to the crankcase breather "problem" when fording. The idea was to make the truck as fording ready as possible.

2004 0422 racor crankvent filter.jpg2006 0312 adapter temp, thermocouple, crankcase ventilation filter.jpg2006 0312 dvm on air intake.jpg

The breather fumes are filtered and returned to the air intake (ignore the DVM, it was part of a non-related experiment) . The "Crankvent" filter has a sump for draining oil at intervals determined by how much the vehicle was used.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More fording related details.

2003 1121 6x6 alcohol evaporator installed.jpg2003 0820 6x6 voltage regulator measurements.jpg

Compressor air intake is permanently connected to the engine air filter canister.
A selector valve (not shown) is manually operated to select pressurization of components or not. When not pressurized, components are vented high on the firewall via copper tubing as shown. Regulator cover off for non-related measurements.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Measuring your intake temps?
Yes, compared it to temp at intake manifold, where a second thermocouple was installed to show slight intercooler effect (difference was only about ten degrees F). The intake manifold is double walled to help warm intake air when engine coolant is heated by fuel burning coolant heater ("arctic kit).

rustystud

More fording related details.

View attachment 607439View attachment 607440

Compressor air intake is permanently connected to the engine air filter canister.
A selector valve (not shown) is manually operated to select pressurization of components or not. When not pressurized, components are vented high on the firewall via copper tubing as shown. Regulator cover off for non-related measurements.
How did you pressurize your system ? and where did you get that manual valve ? Pictures please !

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The original pressure regulator looks like this in the TMs.
fording kit (1).jpgfording kit (2).jpg

My truck came from the USMC and had this regulator factory installed.
The control valve is item 28 in the picture and is operated via the "Fording T-handle" on the passenger side of the dash. I'll look for pictures.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks