• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fording Project

rustystud

004.jpg006.jpg007.jpg015.jpg017.jpg019.jpg

Picture one shows the junction where I added stainless steel "Steel Wool" to help in the condensing of any oil in the vapors. Pictures two and three shows the backing plate I made for mounting the tank. It's 1/8" steel. The fourth picture shows the completed "Slobber" tank assembly. Picture five shows the manifold "normally open" valve. I had to buy a new one as the last one did not flow enough air. The sixth picture shows the completed manifold assembly. I will post more info about the air valve later.

rustystud

006.jpg009.jpg010.jpg011.jpg002.jpg001.jpg

The Slobber tank is installed now !. I still need to buy better hoses though. I plan on buying the reinforced hoses from "McMaster-Carr". The Third and fourth pictures shows the air-manifold installed. Picture five shows the air vent/pressure line to the clutch housing. Picture six shows my clutch housing drain plug. It is a medium pressure shut-off valve so it can come out completely if I want it to.
I know the exhaust is touching the slobber tank, but I'm in the process of replacing this exhaust pipe as it is rusted out. I'm going with a flexible stainless steel pipe and a 90 degree elbow on the bottom of the muffler so it will be a straight line out instead of the drop and loop thing in place now.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Impressive, rustystud; it's all so professionally executed.

And I forgot now, but how did you come up with this whole system and all of the details:

- Did you just think it through off the top of your head, or did you have a template from somewhere to work from?

rustystud

Impressive, rustystud; it's all so professionally executed.

And I forgot now, but how did you come up with this whole system and all of the details:

- Did you just think it through off the top of your head, or did you have a template from somewhere to work from?
Just thought about it for a few days and then said to myself "lets see what we can do" . I scrounged around for parts in the storage shed and came up with most of what I needed. Sometimes I get on my creeper and move around under the truck thinking how I can make things better or simpler. My wife caught me sleeping under there a few months ago ! What can I say, it was nice and quit under there !

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice workmanship!

Check those valve specs carefully, most won't work well in the environment we are dealing with, so many are made for process control at room temp.
"Direct operated" aircraft valves would be my top choice (not to mention motor operated ones)...

rustystud

Nice workmanship!

Check those valve specs carefully, most won't work well in the environment we are dealing with, so many are made for process control at room temp.
"Direct operated" aircraft valves would be my top choice (not to mention motor operated ones)...
According to the spec sheet that came with the valve it says it will do what I need it to do. Of course only time will tell. If I could afford Aircraft parts I would use them, but I'm on a budget now and cost is a factor in everything I do now.

rustystud

The pricing was listed (the second line of the specs); like $16-$22 (!)

That sounds pretty reasonable for the look of their quality (close-fit machined aluminum).
Now that I almost have my system completed I think I will go ahead and buy that manual control valve. I found the place on the internet and the price is about $18.00 plus shipping. I will keep my electrical valve in place for now, but I will have that manual valve just in case !

AZK9

.... My wife caught me sleeping under there a few months ago ! What can I say, it was nice and quit under there !
I had to laugh at that! :lol:

If I had a shop to work in I'd probably do the same!

I actually fell asleep on the bench seat while thinking about how I could upgrade the interior lighting.
Guess I was thinking too hard and tired myself out!

Love your projects and the quality of your work! [thumbzup]

daytonatrbo

Just thought about it for a few days and then said to myself "lets see what we can do" . I scrounged around for parts in the storage shed and came up with most of what I needed. Sometimes I get on my creeper and move around under the truck thinking how I can make things better or simpler. My wife caught me sleeping under there a few months ago ! What can I say, it was nice and quit under there !
Making it up as you go along is most of the fun anyway. I threw together a little project at work this week that had me thinking of your build.

And I wish I could say I never thought about just giving up and taking a nap under a vehicle after long hours of wrenching!

Another Ahab

Sometimes I get on my creeper and move around under the truck thinking how I can make things better or simpler. My wife caught me sleeping under there a few months ago ! What can I say, it was nice and quit under there !
Hey, rustystud, I just had this great idea:

- You could sell the house and get out from under your mortgage, and then use the ready cash to buy more MV's.

- You and Your Beautiful Bride could just live IN the truck, sleeping under it together as a romantic couple at night!

I read somewhere that giving your wife surprises is the secret to a long and happy marriage. It's sure to be a surprise; I think you should try it!

surprise II.jpg

Last edited:

rustystud

Hey, rustystud, I just had this great idea:

- You could sell the house and get out from under your mortgage, and then use the ready cash to buy more MV's.

- You and Your Beautiful Bride could just live IN the truck, sleeping under it together as a romantic couple at night!

I read somewhere that giving your wife surprises is the secret to a long and happy marriage. It's sure to be a surprise; I think you should try it!

View attachment 609396

If I did that I would no longer have to worry about what the wife thought about my military trucks or equipment ! In fact as I was just writing this my wife came by and read what I was posting. She said "you got that right as I would leave your ass !!! " .

rustystud

021.jpg020.jpg022.jpg024.jpg025.jpg

The first four pictures show the bulk-head fitting I installed for the pressure line to the air-manifold. You should always use a bulk-head fitting when you have air or fluids going through a wall or panel. Grommets are fine for electrical lines but you don't want to take a chance on having the grommet wear out and then your lines (hose) gets cut by the panel. You will either loose all your air or what ever fluid your hose is carrying. I still need to buy one more fitting. A 90 degree 1/4" NPT 1/4" hose fitting. I normally have a bunch on hand but I've used up all my stock. I have some 3/8" NPT 90 degree 1/4" fittings but I didn't want to go with that large of bulk-head fitting.
The last picture shows my air-manifold all installed.

rustystud

005.jpg007.jpg006.jpg

I finally finished the "slobber" tank. I was waiting on the new hose I ordered. As you can see I'm also replacing the lower exhaust system (pic 3). I'm waiting on the gaskets for the flex pipe now.

tommys2patrick

I noticed that you rerouted the slobber tube from in front of the spring shackle to behind it. I presume to take the kink out of it. Looks like you ended up moving the kink farther up the tube though. Are you working on a solution or just leave it as good enough? I was thinking a 45 into the tank instead of a 90. Those shackles do move around under spring flex and it seemed to be a good routing you had initially. Probably a bit longer slobber tube would work as well. I know the slobber tube just carries oily gas but its a future wear point that might compromise water tight integrity. Don't mean to stick my nose in your creative process. I just like the way your mind works and am curious. I imagine you are waiting on the final exhaust routing before dealing with it further if any.

daytonatrbo

View attachment 611403View attachment 611409View attachment 611410

I finally finished the "slobber" tank. I was waiting on the new hose I ordered. As you can see I'm also replacing the lower exhaust system (pic 3). I'm waiting on the gaskets for the flex pipe now.
I'm curious as to your thoughts on the J bend. I see you are eliminating the bulk of it, something I have thought about doing.

It seems the purpose of the elongate J was to help keep rain water from getting to the turbo as easily when sitting.

Are you running a stack flap?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks