• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fording Thought

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, was just pondering the possibility of using a solenoid or cable operated ball or knife valve for the deuce bellhousing instead of crawling under and moving the plug from the storage boss to the hole. Any thoughts?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: fording

LOL, not enough! Maybe and inch at the most. We need a foot or more. I am prepping for hurricane season though.

papercu

rain

It came down here all day Thank Goodness, been without for months.
For your location I would get some Suba gear then you just swim under to install. Wayne

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: rain

If you expect high water, plug it up the day before. If you don't have leakage issues, the plug should do no harm for several days.
But, yes a valve will work. Only needed in 30 inches or more water and then there are other things like the compressor inlet, well you know all about that.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Why can't the plug be left in all the time? They are saying this years season is gonna be bad :( Don't know which is worse, hurricanes, tornados or earthquakes. We haven't had a big quake in a long time...knock on wood../ I'd steer away from the solinoid. The least ammount of electrical stuff in the water, the better. Sure enough, it will stop working in 2 feet of water and you'll need to get under the truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Yeah, I'm thinking if I were to do this I'd go the ball valve and morse cable. Of course nothing will happen until I find a deal on a 3psi regulator.

FSBruva

Will-

I think it has to do with the fact that almost all rear main seals leak a bit.... and if you leave the plug in, the oil will accumulate and mess with the stuff that not supposed to have oil on it.

Matt

SixSpeed

Banned
to bring back an old thread, I searched and this is as close as I got. I am in the same boat as Kenny. Valve would be much easier. Anyone have any thoughts?

Anyone know the dimensions of the plug?

goldneagle

What about a check valve?
A spring-loaded check valve is not gonna work with this setup.. Would need to be under pressure. The oil in the bell housing needs to drip out not be pushed out. The non-spring type check valve could open due to waves or water movement. Am I missing anything here?:-|

Last edited:

jrou111

A spring-loaded check valve is not gonna work with this setup.. Would need to be under pressure. The oil in the bell housing needs to drip out not be pushed out. The non-spring type check valve could open due to waves or water movement. Am I missing anything here?:-|
I was thinking more like a floating ball check valve. So when the water goes up to the bellhousing the ball starts floating up and closes the valve.